Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-19-2013, 11:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Have you waited for a part to come in?

Here now, consuming less power than my living room lamp, metal parts can be created anywhere. Yup, in your Indy's shop, on demand.

Before ya'll get all excited about the printer's cost and size, consider this: In '87 I bought a 300 dpi laser printer for $3600. It was....huge. When it was replaced, made a good boat anchor. Somewhat inefficient, produced raised lettering and printed any shade of color I wanted, as long as that was black.

Today $50 Costco printers grossly outclass it in every way.

Prediction: 3D printing will follow familiar trajectory. Within a few years most will have one, and that might include BMW repair shops. Imagine....software being notoriously slippery, that proprietary, encrypted, copyrighted 3D file from Munich will be immediately decrypted, unprotected, and available on Pirate Bay.

Just like that 3D printable gun file I downloaded a few weeks back....world's changin'! Entire engines can be printed. Are you excited?

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 06-19-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Advertisement
Old 06-19-2013, 11:13 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Parts manufacturers are put out of business, government legislation comes in, these printers will be banned. Just you wait.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
if the government wants to stop it all they have to do is TAX it
its been shown the more the government taxes something the less people do of it
Old 06-19-2013, 12:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Meh. Maybe for some parts. But across-the-board parts production? I rather doubt it. For the same reason the 3D firearms don't hold up for more than 5 or 6 firings - plastic isn't isn't a viable material for long term use. Prototyping to prove the functionality (even 1 or 2 firings)? Sure. But not for a 'production' unit.

3D printed engines are a long way off in the future.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post
Meh. Maybe for some parts. But across-the-board parts production? I rather doubt it. For the same reason the 3D firearms don't hold up for more than 5 or 6 firings - plastic isn't isn't a viable material for long term use. Prototyping to prove the functionality (even 1 or 2 firings)? Sure. But not for a 'production' unit.

3D printed engines are a long way off in the future.

Laser sintering can produce many parts in an engine, perhaps superior to some parts now in use - piston connecting rods for instance. For solid pieces, molten metal is wicked into the sintered part - voids filled.

Whole engines can be printed today. Might not last long....metal printing's fairly new. Bright future!
Old 06-19-2013, 01:37 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Like other technologies, it will be improved and get better.
We may not be able to build our own BMWs right now, but in ten years, I promise us a future of building our own BMWs! We need to invest now in 3D printing. Send me money and I will show 3D printing improvements in ten years!

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post

A point w/many applications. On demand home defense [printed gun] pretty much scotched the idea of regulated ongoing gun control. Factor in metal printing, now. If a gun wears out, print a dozen.

The attempt to kill printable guns immediately resulted in - here I'm talkin' within hours - pirate downloads available. Self reliance is seeing new, open country. Government devotes itself to persuading you not to go there, especially the current administration, only to see this and other online freedoms eroding their base.

Is say: Good show! Central authority - one payer health care and its many isomers - is slow, controlling death to freedom. As Henry Waxman, D-California, said: "How else are we going to control the people?" You must ask yourself if that's what you want.

So What? What's metal printing got to do with the price of eggs, you say? COMPETITION! There's nothing like it to create efficiency and innovation. 3D printing, go baby, go!

More food for thought: What if....Amazon dives in, providing same day delivery for many goods, 3 Series parts too? Venture capital should be looking for a place to go 'bout now.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:57 PM
Found the Search Button

Mein Auto: '06 E90 325i '07 E92 328i

Let's mix this "3D printing/make your own parts" thread with the "I bought by brake pads real cheap at AutoZone" thread and see what happens.

I'll grab my bowl of popcorn now.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-19-2013, 07:30 PM
Always laughing loudest

Mein Auto: '11 335i M-sport...by day
Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
Parts manufacturers are put out of business, government legislation comes in, these printers will be banned. Just you wait.
Neg. Policy -- U.S. policy, in particular -- almost always lags behind technology. By the time the government chooses to act, the genie will be out of the bottle. It has already entered a realm of determining intent...the great dividing line in new technologies.

My last office had about $2M in 3-D printing machines but we worked solely in ABS plastics and parts reproduction for training and curriculum support. That technology is old hat and the newest iterations are revolutionary. But the cross into common use/applicability is finally happening, much like what the Internet did. And we see how slow policy adapts to Internet use, despite the cyber threat and malicious intent.

FWIW, few 3-D companies are publicly traded. Stratasys is a big player and is public. Look for IPOs from other companies, especially once we figure out the best public use for the technology. But an outright ban isn't likely, we hope.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:37 PM
Always laughing loudest

Mein Auto: '11 335i M-sport...by day
Quote:
We may not be able to build our own BMWs right now, but in ten years, I promise us a future of building our own BMWs! We need to invest now in 3D printing. Send me money and I will show 3D printing improvements in ten years!
Furb - just re-read your second post (above). Concur wholeheartedly.

What will be interesting is how BMW and other companies will encrypt or "fingerprint" their parts when replication becomes much easier. If you have the means to make a counterfeit part that looks just like OEM and is made of the same material, but it fails and someone gets hurt, the car company would want to prove it was a counterfeit that caused the damage.

My biggest question isn't how it's governed by policy, but by morality. Woe be it unto the dumb, equipped with great toys.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
It will be interesting to observe the evolution of 3D printing. IMO, it has a ways to go to replace numerical controlled machining, but who knows. Some of the funding requests I have seen are quite on the ambitious side, but then that was what drove the PC business back in the late 70s and early 80s - entrepreneurs who pushed the technology envelope.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dork Knight View Post

What will be interesting is how BMW and other companies will encrypt or "fingerprint" their parts when replication becomes much easier. If you have the means to make a counterfeit part that looks just like OEM and is made of the same material, but it fails and someone gets hurt, the car company would want to prove it was a counterfeit that caused the damage.

My biggest question isn't how it's governed by policy, but by morality. Woe be it unto the dumb, equipped with great toys.
Probably some variation on digital certificates.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:33 PM
Found the Search Button

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dork Knight View Post

That's just it. This will transfer liability from a manufacturer to individual printers. When a critical part fails, the finger pointing will be endless.

When my HP chews up a piece of paper, it isn't a big deal. When my new control arm snaps, someone somewhere will be looking to assign blame and a dollar amount.

I'm not saying its impossible to cut through the mess, but this will severely complicate things.

Old 06-20-2013, 02:34 PM
Found the Search Button

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocabimmer View Post
That's just it. This will transfer liability from a manufacturer to individual printers. When a critical part fails, the finger pointing will be endless.

When my HP chews up a piece of paper, it isn't a big deal. When my new control arm (I printed off a BitTorrent, or my indie shop printed for me) snaps, someone somewhere will be looking to assign blame and a dollar amount.

I'm not saying its impossible to cut through the mess, but this will severely complicate things.