Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:46 PM
XDriver

Send a message via AIM to flahertb
Mein Auto: 325xi & X3 & Z4
I will wave, I like the camaraderie, imagined or not.

2008 Z4 3.0si Sport Package, Premium package, heated seats, M sport seats, xenon headlights
2002 325 xi, sport handling, rosewood trim
2005 X3 Premium package
Old 06-22-2013, 06:59 PM
fauxsuper

Mein Auto: 1998 Z3 2.8
Waving

I've had the Z3 for a little over two months now, and everyone who has a Z3 that I've encountered coming the other way has waved, with the exception of freeways and busy 4 lane arterials. (Yes, I waved back.) Back in the early 70's, it seemed that anyone with a roadster of ANY sort would wave. I had a Datsun 1500 Fairlady, and people in MG, Triumph, Fiat, and Alfa roadsters would almost always wave.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 3.0 Z-3 ROADSTER
While traveling on the I-65 I noticed a silver Z4 same color as mine. We both exited the same exit. When we pulled up side by side at the traffic light, we looked at each other recognizing that we both had BMW Roadsters. She was a pretty blonde. She gave me a big smile and I returned the favor....much better than just a wave.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto: Z3
Always wave.

When I see an other Z3 I always wave, sometimes I'll toot the horn or flash my lights. I use to do it for Z4's but I never get a response from them, I guess Z4's are better then us. I sometimes get waves from other convertibles but I'm getting more acknowledgement from Harley's these days. Anyways I'm going to keep on waving because it's the right thing to do.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:18 AM
ZEDHEAD

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0i
New Yorkers don't wave and we don't make eye contact either.

“Thou art to me a delicious torment.” Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 06-25-2013, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 Z3 2.5L
Wave: yes; wave returned, about 70% of the time.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by FZbar View Post
As the past owner of a 1965 MGB in British Racing Green, I used to wave at all other B's.

I think what's happened is that a lot of people who are NOT sports car nuts, own Z3's & Z4's. The comraderie came from the heart, not the purse & it is unlikely that we will return to those hallowed days, sorry to say.

Fred
I think Fred hit it on the head. If you own an MG or TR, you are clearly "in the club" and always were. I am a fast boater, and I have always waved at all boaters, but then boaters are pretty much all in the club. As a driver of an M Coupe, I search out and make eye contact when I can with any other MZ (not always easy to wave in the Coupe, especially here in Florida with the A/C on), and usually get a big respose. But we MZ owners are rare, and clearly in the club. Joe Blow who has hit his midlife crisis, still wants to driver his high end car but trades his 528 for a Z4 to be "sporty" (yes, it probably has an automatic) is definitely not in the club.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Gent View Post
... As a driver of an M Coupe, I search out and make eye contact when I can with any other MZ ...
Joe Blow ... is definitely not in the club.
Wow, it must be draining having to pick out the 'M' cars in time, from the rest of the riff-raff in mere Z4s. You don't also have a Harley by any chance, do you?
Old 06-27-2013, 07:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 M Coupe
Oh, please! I never got a response from other Z's, just stopped trying. Sorry if I offended you.

Did you pay any attention to my definition of Joe Blow?

Last edited by Patrick Gent; 06-27-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:24 PM

Mein Auto: Z4
So now I'm confused. I have owned an MG midget, a Triumph Spitfire and an MGB. So that puts me in the club. But now I own a Z4 automatic/steptronic which puts me out of the club. But I'm 70 years old which is old enough to know the trials, tribulations and fun of old time driving and the comraderie of other drivers and to wave accordingly. So that puts me in the club.........I think?
Old 06-27-2013, 08:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokers View Post
... So that puts me in the club.........I think?
After going through a Midget and two B's on the wayward journey to my current car, I'd say that having driven any one of those marvels blessed with a Lucas electrical system grants you a lifetime membership. If you've ever had the pleasure of lying on the road rapping a hammer on your SU fuel pump to get fuel flowing again, you probably qualify to get your dues refunded ... wave on!

[Insert your favorite Lucas Electrics joke here]
Old 06-28-2013, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 3.0: six speed
Lucas

The British drink warm beer because they have Lucas refrigerators.

Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

Had a twin cam MGB, sometimes headlights worked, other times you were heavy on the brakes!
Old 09-14-2013, 09:27 PM
fixin stuff

Mein Auto: z4
saw two Z3s today with the tops down. seems like all the folks that have clean cars are "into" them and wave. you can tell the daily drivers, they really dont even know what its about. One Z3 was the same color as my Z4 and spotless as was the red one i saw. all of us were top down cruising. the wave is cool.

William
Old 09-14-2013, 11:22 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 2009, Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokers View Post
Hi, I'm like you in that I owned an MGB before buying the Z4 and we always waved or flashed the lights at another MG, or even a Triumph. I waved at the first Z4 I saw when out in the new car and the guy just stared back as if I had just crawled out from under a rock. Happened a few times so I don't bother anymore. Great shame, almost makes me want to go back to the MGB club........almost.
I never wave but I never had one of those sports cars that I really wanted my father bought me a car called a VOLVO model PV544, Simon Templer, wouldn't have driven this car. The pronunciation of the word Volvo was anything but that. There were other parts of the anatomy it represented. It was a great car I drove it wild and it never died, I hope its next owner enjoyed as much as I did. My BMW Z4 is better looking and just as dependable, although I liked my first Z4 it had the canvas top and it looked the way a convertible should look, not a metal top, so now I look like everyone else. If it starts and goes forward and backwards its a great car, keep it.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:30 PM

Mein Auto: 98 Z3 M-Sport
I wave. An old habit from owing three MGB's (two roadster and one GT). I rarely get a return :-(
Old 09-15-2013, 07:48 AM
Investigative Tinkerer

Mein Auto: ///Motorized Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeZ4 View Post
The British drink warm beer because they have Lucas refrigerators.

Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

Had a twin cam MGB, sometimes headlights worked, other times you were heavy on the brakes!
Must've been one (1) of one (1), because I never heard of one, and I've had sixteen (16) MGBs & MGBGTs.

They did however market an MGA that had a twincam engine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixpaddler View Post
I wave. An old habit from owing three MGB's (two roadster and one GT). I rarely get a return :-(
I lived twenty (20) years in Southern Louisiana, and EVERYBODY waves to EVERYBODY there (I used to think it was because they were all related...), so by default, I now wave to everybody, especially driving through my subdivision. It's unfortunate, but few people are looking past their cellphones enough to notice and wave back.

I still have a soft spot for MGBs; I bought one brand new in 1973 when I was eighteen__payments were $97.33/mo (36 mo/$949.00 down). As stated above, fifteen (15) more followed, though some were only good for parts. I got rid of the last few in 10/2000, and by the middle of November, I was driving the 99 ///M Rdstr__quite a step up!

Randy Forbes
1957 Austin-Healey 100/6 Wine Red
1961 McCulloch R1 go-kart Screaming Yellow
1995///M3 Coupe Dakar Yellow Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Rdstr Cosmos Black Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Coupe Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
2001///M Rdstr Steel Gray
2011 X5 35i Sport Deep Sea Blue/Cinnamon
Old 09-15-2013, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: '01 Z3 3.0i Roadster
Love this thread! It's great to see, as I suspected, that the real dyed-in-the-wool sportscar buffs are who seem to be drawn to the Z3/Z4. I haven't seen many cars outside of the Z3 that exemplify that classic two-seater roadster experience with all of the modern amenities.

It's a shame that a lot of people don't wave anymore. I always do if I see the other car in time. I think a previous poster nailed it, in that there are a lot of Z drivers that don't have that history, they're just driving a status symbol or a fun toy.

Over the years I have had a 62 MGB (yes, the first run with the flip-out door handles instead of pushbuttons) and a 67 MGB-GT, a 67 Rover 2000TC sedan, a 67 S-Type Jag, a 67 Triumph GT6, an 87 Jag XJ6, a 95 Jag XJ6, a 97 Jag XJ6. You shouldn't have to ask why I'm almost an expert at automotive electrical.

So yes, the Z3 is a natural extension of that fascination/progression. It's great to be around a group of enthusiasts that know and appreciate that and don't dismiss the camaraderie.

Last edited by dkindig; 09-15-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:13 PM

Mein Auto: '07 Z4MC, Porsche 928S4
Funny timing of my seeing this thread today.

Earlier in the day I was driving on I-480 (Cleveland) and saw a car pull up along side me. When I looked closer, it was a Z4M roadster (I was in my Z4MCoupe). Waved, tooted, and paced each other for a very short time. He then sped up, and waved goodbye.

Reminds me of my old Healey days (big Healey 3000 with twin carbs, side curtains, and the canvas top that was irremovable, but not foldable.)

EB
Old 09-15-2013, 09:35 PM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4MR
I always wave when I get the chance too. Some times you just can't because the car is in the other lane headed in the other direction and its just happens too fast. But I do my best to say hello to a fellow owner.

I do get the difference between the "Daily Driver" Crowd and the Enthusiast group, we are the friendlier bunch to be around .

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 09-16-2013, 08:50 AM
YYZED3M Driver

Mein Auto: '99 ////M Roadster
Well I try...

To wave to most two door sportscars... whether they are BMW or Honda S2000's or even... gasp... Miatas. Sometimes I fail... sometimes they fail... But I find that Z3 owners wave less than Z3M owners. And S2000 owners look at you like you're crazy. Miata owner almost always wave.
Mine is a daily driver (for the most part) but I still feel like there is some enthusiast in me... maybe I'm wrong....

Crappy : )

(Just outside of Nashville)

Last edited by crappyattitude1; 09-16-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:56 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
I do wave. There are so many more BMWs on the road now than there once were, though, I don't think many of the people I wave to realize why I am waving.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: '07 Z4MC, Porsche 928S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by STIHLBOLTS View Post
...I do get the difference between the "Daily Driver" Crowd and the Enthusiast group, we are the friendlier bunch to be around .
Daily driver and enthusiast are not mutually exclusive.

EB
Old 09-16-2013, 09:15 AM
YYZED3M Driver

Mein Auto: '99 ////M Roadster
Well I try.....

sorry... didn't show the post.. then posted twice... oops.

Last edited by crappyattitude1; 09-16-2013 at 09:16 AM. Reason: double post
Old 09-16-2013, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 Z4 auto
Yep, I wave (at Z3s and Z4s). About 40% wave back. Waving is, of course, easier with the top down, and mine is down as much as possible. But I have noticed that many other convertible drivers keep their tops up on days which are perfectly fine for open motoring. And when the other driver's top is up, I can't always tell whether or s/he waves back.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:53 PM

Mein Auto: '98 Z3 M ROADSTER
As a former VW Bug afficianado [sp?], I thought a friendly wave between others with like interests was generally expected, and, frankly, rather commonplace. Can't say the same for Z3 owners, but I'm going to keep trying!