Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-19-2013, 12:51 PM
PertPlus PertPlus is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego, CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 79
Mein Auto: CLS63 AMG and 2013 M3
Anybody with experiences on why to get/not get the Performance Exhaust?

I have until the car arrives to make the final decision, but wanted to see if people liked the exhaust's performance, aesthetic appeal and overall quality. I don't mean "performance" like HP and/or TQ gains which it appears there are none, but more of "how the car sounds", "drone level in the cabin", etc. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 06-19-2013, 02:35 PM
nhman nhman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northeast
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 684
Mein Auto: 435i GC pending
I have it on my M3 coupe and love it especially compared to the stock version. Very nice sound and no drone. The negative, it is expensive but a nice additional to the vehicle.

As you may already expect, exhaust systems are very subjective. Aside from the M Performance offering you may also consider Dinan and Arkra (to name some).
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-19-2013, 03:14 PM
PertPlus PertPlus is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego, CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 79
Mein Auto: CLS63 AMG and 2013 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhman View Post
I have it on my M3 coupe and love it especially compared to the stock version. Very nice sound and no drone. The negative, it is expensive but a nice additional to the vehicle.

As you may already expect, exhaust systems are very subjective. Aside from the M Performance offering you may also consider Dinan and Arkra (to name some).
But for $3k installed, that seems like a good deal to me. Someone has mentioned Borla and RPI for about half the price, but obviously those won't have the same warranty coverage and precise fitment as the M3 one. Also, I have a fully modded out CLS63 currently, so dont want to have two after-market modded out cars. I really want to use this as a DD and enjoy and just be happy with what I can get from the factory. But if the exhaust didn't sound good (obviously I can lookup on youtube for sound clips), or there were QC issues, I would want to know ahead of time.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-19-2013, 04:57 PM
alee's Avatar
alee alee is offline
Super Moderator
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 11,021
Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by PertPlus View Post
But if the exhaust didn't sound good (obviously I can lookup on youtube for sound clips), or there were QC issues, I would want to know ahead of time.
Note that most of the YouTube videos out there are useless... just a bunch of folks revving their engines in neutral. There are a few solid ones I like that give you sense of what the car sounds like under load. Most of the videos are also shot outside the car which doesn't give you a great sense of what it sounds like in the car.

This is one of the better ones... gives you a few outside and a few inside...



I ordered the M performance exhaust. Have yet to spend much time with it, other than hearing it in person, but it's way more exotic sounding than the stock exhaust under load, is loud without being obnoxious, and doesn't drone at all.
__________________
2001 E46 330Ci - 42K miles, 2013 E92 M3 - Back from PCD
Thinking about doing European Delivery? Read about my ED experience. Best trip, ever.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-19-2013, 05:00 PM
PertPlus PertPlus is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego, CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 79
Mein Auto: CLS63 AMG and 2013 M3
Nice, thanks for the video and some insight!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-19-2013, 11:10 PM
GreenLantern GreenLantern is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SoCal and NorCal
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 141
Mein Auto: Habe ein Deutsches Auto
+1

I've experienced it in person many times, and experienced M3's with stock exhaust as comparisons. I selected it for my impending E92 M3 build. It was an easy decision for me.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-20-2013, 06:44 PM
pkim1079 pkim1079 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: los angeles
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 283
Mein Auto: e90 m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PertPlus View Post
But for $3k installed, that seems like a good deal to me. Someone has mentioned Borla and RPI for about half the price, but obviously those won't have the same warranty coverage and precise fitment as the M3 one. Also, I have a fully modded out CLS63 currently, so dont want to have two after-market modded out cars. I really want to use this as a DD and enjoy and just be happy with what I can get from the factory. But if the exhaust didn't sound good (obviously I can lookup on youtube for sound clips), or there were QC issues, I would want to know ahead of time.
you crazy...I would be DD the CLS63 in stock form and making the m3 a modded track toy.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-20-2013, 06:50 PM
650 Ryder's Avatar
650 Ryder 650 Ryder is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 756
Mein Auto: Dinan///M3 - Countryman S
The performance exhaust still has the big can hanging under the rear. Most other exhaust just look better from the rear IMO.........Phil
__________________

2011.5 Dinan ///M3:
SSII DCT
Comp, Conv, Premium 2 Pkg
Heated Seats
Enhnd Prem Sound
BMW Edition Grills / Gills
BMW M Perf. Steering Wheel
BMW Carbon Fiber Perf. Spoiler
BMW Pedals
Dinan Exhaust
Dinan Mid Racing Exhaust (x-pipe)
Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake
Dinan Racing Middle Exhaust Software
Dinan DCT Tune
Dinan Pulley Kit
Dinan CH-R Wheels
Dinan Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces
IND M5 Scheme Mirror Caps
Arkym Front Lip
Carbon Front Reflectors
Lux H8 V3
Brembo 365mm BBK
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-20-2013, 06:55 PM
alee's Avatar
alee alee is offline
Super Moderator
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 11,021
Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 Ryder View Post
The performance exhaust still has the big can hanging under the rear. Most other exhaust just look better from the rear IMO.........Phil
It looks way better than the stock exhaust.
__________________
2001 E46 330Ci - 42K miles, 2013 E92 M3 - Back from PCD
Thinking about doing European Delivery? Read about my ED experience. Best trip, ever.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-20-2013, 07:36 PM
PertPlus PertPlus is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego, CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 79
Mein Auto: CLS63 AMG and 2013 M3
Anybody with experiences on why to get/not get the Performance Exhaust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
you crazy...I would be DD the CLS63 in stock form and making the m3 a modded track toy.
Well it's a little late for that, with my CLS63 already having a Brabus exhaust, Brabus CF splitter and diffuser, Catless downpipes and a full stereo.




Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-20-2013, 08:27 PM
GreenLantern GreenLantern is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SoCal and NorCal
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 141
Mein Auto: Habe ein Deutsches Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by PertPlus View Post
Well it's a little late for that, with my CLS63 already having a Brabus exhaust, Brabus CF splitter and diffuser, Catless downpipes and a full stereo.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-21-2013, 06:08 PM
650 Ryder's Avatar
650 Ryder 650 Ryder is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 756
Mein Auto: Dinan///M3 - Countryman S
Quote:
Originally Posted by alee View Post
It looks way better than the stock exhaust.
Everything you hang back there looks better than the stock exhaust. And tt least the performance exhaust is painted black to hide some of the can..........Phil
__________________

2011.5 Dinan ///M3:
SSII DCT
Comp, Conv, Premium 2 Pkg
Heated Seats
Enhnd Prem Sound
BMW Edition Grills / Gills
BMW M Perf. Steering Wheel
BMW Carbon Fiber Perf. Spoiler
BMW Pedals
Dinan Exhaust
Dinan Mid Racing Exhaust (x-pipe)
Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake
Dinan Racing Middle Exhaust Software
Dinan DCT Tune
Dinan Pulley Kit
Dinan CH-R Wheels
Dinan Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces
IND M5 Scheme Mirror Caps
Arkym Front Lip
Carbon Front Reflectors
Lux H8 V3
Brembo 365mm BBK
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-22-2013, 07:23 AM
Macbest Macbest is offline
Registered User
Location: Bay Area, CA
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 20
Mein Auto: 2013 M3 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 Ryder View Post
At least the performance exhaust is painted black to hide some of the can..........Phil
Mine came from the dealer installed as new and wasn't painted black. I would think it would look way better in black. Who does that painting (in the Bay Area?)
__________________
______________________________________
Current: 2013 M3 Convertible. Interlagos Blue.
Most recent: 2010 335i Convertible. Le Mans Blue
BMW CCA 476415
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-29-2013, 11:26 AM
DCC DCC is offline
BMW Fan
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 510
Mein Auto: '02 Z3 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 Ryder View Post
Everything you hang back there looks better than the stock exhaust. And tt least the performance exhaust is painted black to hide some of the can..........Phil
Phil, really? In black?
That is what's holding me back from it...it has to be aftermarket coated to be black
__________________
2013 X5 xDrive35i
2011 M3 Sedan
2002 Z3M Coupe
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms