Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-19-2013, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 F-250 7.3
CA Emissions Question

Hey guys...I'm looking at buying a 2008 335xi that has some work done to it. It looks like a great car and the guy took really great care of it but my only concern is the emissions when/if I bring it to CA. Here is a list of the mods he's got listed:

-JB4 G5 ISO
-Dual Cone Intakes
-VRSF 3.5" Exhaust
-VK Catless Downpipes
-ER Chargepipe w/ Tial BOV and Meth Bung
-BMS Integrated 2.2 Gallon Methanol Injection Kit
-BMS Oil Catch Can
-AA 5" Black FMIC
-KW V1 Coilovers
-Vorschlag Camber/Caster Plates
-AG ZCP 19" Wheels w/ Custom Black Chrome Powdercoat
-Hankook V12's
-Full M-Tech Body Kit
-M3 Side Skirts
-Black Grills
-Corner Delete Mod
-Coding
-M3 Taillights
-Interior LED Kit
-License Plate LED Kit
-LED Angel Eyes
-LED Corner Lenses
-LED Side Markers
-4300k HID Foglights
-Carbon Fiber Wrapped Interior Trim
-30% Tint

I know the catless downpipes will be an issue but is there anything else on there I would have to worry about? If the downpipes are the only issue, what would it take for the car to pass emissions?

Thanks for the help!
Ads by Google
Old 06-19-2013, 09:29 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB Lightning View Post
Hey guys...I'm looking at buying a 2008 335xi that has some work done to it. It looks like a great car and the guy took really great care of it but my only concern is the emissions when/if I bring it to CA. Here is a list of the mods he's got listed:

-JB4 G5 ISO
-Dual Cone Intakes
-VRSF 3.5" Exhaust
-VK Catless Downpipes
-ER Chargepipe w/ Tial BOV and Meth Bung
-BMS Integrated 2.2 Gallon Methanol Injection Kit
-BMS Oil Catch Can
-AA 5" Black FMIC
-KW V1 Coilovers
-Vorschlag Camber/Caster Plates
-AG ZCP 19" Wheels w/ Custom Black Chrome Powdercoat
-Hankook V12's
-Full M-Tech Body Kit
-M3 Side Skirts
-Black Grills
-Corner Delete Mod
-Coding
-M3 Taillights
-Interior LED Kit
-License Plate LED Kit
-LED Angel Eyes
-LED Corner Lenses
-LED Side Markers
-4300k HID Foglights
-Carbon Fiber Wrapped Interior Trim
-30% Tint

I know the catless downpipes will be an issue but is there anything else on there I would have to worry about? If the downpipes are the only issue, what would it take for the car to pass emissions?

Thanks for the help!
I believe the CHP may have problems with your lights depending on the color (especially if they're bluish), or the head lights if they're overly bright. CA can be strict on front window tinting (fix it ticket).

The CA vehicle code (as with most states) will follow the federal regulations for vehicle lighting and "luminosity, " but the federal reg. (fmvss 108) is very complex.

The only reasonsable thing a LEO could do is see if your accessible lighting fixtures were marked with the letters 'DOT' as ALL automotive lighting must display these letters on the device to show compliance with the federal reg (fmvss 108). Missing these letters? Outlaw part.

Some years ago during the height of "car boy" mods, NHTSA "busted" on of the biggest distributors of aftermarket auto lighting in the L.A. area and slapped them with a huge "non-compliance" fine. The feds certainly wouldn't go after individual car owners, but the CHP might.

If you register the car here it's going to have to pass the strict CA emissions test. I don't see any way around it.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 06-19-2013, 09:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

You'll be buyin' CAT's to pass emissions.

Set JB4 to Map 0.

Should be good unless there's an ECU remap underneath JB4.

You must ask yourself: Why did prev owner sell?
Old 06-19-2013, 09:52 PM

Thanks for the responses. I knew the tint would be an issue if I find a bored CHP. I got hit when I had my old mustang that had 35% up front.

As for the CAT's, would I be able to throw um on the current config or would I need to buy all new downpipes? I'm new to BMW's so I don't know how accessible all the parts are.

And to answer the 'why is the owner selling' he is actually not wanting to sell it but trade it for a 6.0/6.4/6.7 Powerstroke.

Another issue I have is the car is in Alabama and I don't have the time to travel out there to test drive it and look at in person. The guy said he would buy my plane ticket out there but finding the time is hard to do.

Here's a picture of it
Old 06-19-2013, 10:08 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I knew the tint would be an issue if I find a bored CHP. I got hit when I had my old mustang that had 35% up front.

As for the CAT's, would I be able to throw um on the current config or would I need to buy all new downpipes? I'm new to BMW's so I don't know how accessible all the parts are.

And to answer the 'why is the owner selling' he is actually not wanting to sell it but trade it for a 6.0/6.4/6.7 Powerstroke.

Another issue I have is the car is in Alabama and I don't have the time to travel out there to test drive it and look at in person. The guy said he would buy my plane ticket out there but finding the time is hard to do.

Here's a picture of it
Ohhh, I like that! Geezus, the windshield isn't tinted, is it? If so, I'm starting to wonder where you should mount the 'red flags' for the CHP....
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 06-19-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
Ohhh, I like that! Geezus, the windshield isn't tinted, is it? If so, I'm starting to wonder where you should mount the 'red flags' for the CHP....
Haha if the windshield has tint that would be the first thing to go. I like the look of it but not driving at night. It's a killer looking car but it's starting to be a hassle.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

Desperate. RUN.