Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-21-2013, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 335i
HELP, Maintenace

Hello All,

I am a new owner of a 2007 335i w/ 45k miles. I have owned the car since Feb. 2013 and just recently took the car to get an oil change to an independent. While completing the oil change the mechanic stated that the Front Control Arm Bushing on the brakes is broken and will need to be replaced. He also stated the brake fluids needed to be replaced.

I am new to BMW and am not the savy with mechanical workings of the car. Other than a slight squeeling in the brakes that I hear when coming to a slow stop, the breaks feel great. The indy wants to charge me $500 to replace and another $130 to change the break fluids.

Am I getting ripped off? How can I tell if the bushing is actually broken and if the fluids need to be changed. Any help would be appreciated!

-Serg335i
Advertisement
Old 06-21-2013, 08:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i E90
Well, the control arm bushing is not part of your brakes. You need to find out if he's replacing the whole arm or just the bushing. If it's the entire arm, the price doesn't seem to be too bad. Break down the cost of parts and labor.
The brake fluid (in my opinion) needs to be replaced only if you're doing full brake overhaul (pads, rotors, and cleaning the calipers inside replacing rubber parts). Otherwise, not sure why would you need this at 45K.
GL.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serg335i View Post
Hello All,

I am a new owner of a 2007 335i w/ 45k miles. I have owned the car since Feb. 2013 and just recently took the car to get an oil change to an independent. While completing the oil change the mechanic stated that the Front Control Arm Bushing on the brakes is broken and will need to be replaced. He also stated the brake fluids needed to be replaced.

I am new to BMW and am not the savy with mechanical workings of the car. Other than a slight squeeling in the brakes that I hear when coming to a slow stop, the breaks feel great. The indy wants to charge me $500 to replace and another $130 to change the break fluids.

Am I getting ripped off? How can I tell if the bushing is actually broken and if the fluids need to be changed. Any help would be appreciated!

The charges are market for your work. The good news is: You can save well over 50% on those jobs by doing it yourself, if that's attractive to you.

The control arm involves two [2] nuts. Good price indeed if alignment included. You gotta have it after replacement, so add that cost if not included.

DOT4 brake fluid is available at any auto parts store, NAPA and O'Reilly's coming to mind. Info HERE
Old 06-21-2013, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
Brake fluid is supposed to be changed every two years. $130 is steep but not out of the ballpark. If it needs changed you should have the warning on your iDrive or CBS system. If not, it doesn't need changed. The control arm bushing is checked by inspecting it. Your car has very low mileage to need one. It would be cracked or collapsed. You can see the crack in the rubber if it is there. Usually, the entire control arm is replaced. It will have a new bushing and ball joint in it.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:11 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Maybe find another mechanic to get a second opinion? Possibly the dealership just for a looksy?

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburke4689 View Post
Brake fluid is supposed to be changed every two years. $130 is steep but not out of the ballpark. If it needs changed you should have the warning on your iDrive or CBS system. If not, it doesn't need changed. The control arm bushing is checked by inspecting it. Your car has very low mileage to need one. It would be cracked or collapsed. You can see the crack in the rubber if it is there. Usually, the entire control arm is replaced. It will have a new bushing and ball joint in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
The charges are market for your work. The good news is: You can save well over 50% on those jobs by doing it yourself, if that's attractive to you.

The control arm involves two [2] nuts. Good price indeed if alignment included. You gotta have it after replacement, so add that cost if not included.

DOT4 brake fluid is available at any auto parts store, NAPA and O'Reilly's coming to mind. Info HERE
Of course, I assume you guys expect the guy to fully replace brake fluid and bleed the system. He may just take a syringe to it and suck it out of the RES., replace with fresh fluid...
Old 06-21-2013, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
replacing the brake fluid is fairly easy, if you can do stuff like that, and if you have one person in the car to pump the brakes., only thing by doing it your self is I dont think it replaces the fluid in the ABS pump.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:03 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
Maybe find another mechanic to get a second opinion? Possibly the dealership just for a looksy?
Yup. I find it hard to believe control arm bushings on the E9x chassis are gone by 45k.

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/BMW Alcantara wheel
Old 06-21-2013, 09:09 AM
Paraglide! Walk on air!

Mein Auto: 2010 335i Coupe 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Yup. I find it hard to believe control arm bushings on the E9x chassis are gone by 45k.
I would agree, unless the car was thrashed repeatedly, or frequently driven off-pavement, or over many many speed bumps at higher speed...

2010 335i, ZSP, ZPP, M-Sport, Le Mans Blue, 3 pedals of course!
Heated Seats | USB & iPod | Black Dakota Leather
Cobb AP Stage 1 Aggressive + | Cobb FMIC | BMW Performance Exhaust

Previous BMWs:
2001 330i ZSP ZPP 5-speed - sold, but not forgotten.