Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-21-2013, 07:59 AM
Serg335i Serg335i is offline
Registered User
Location: Dallas
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 335i
HELP, Maintenace

Hello All,

I am a new owner of a 2007 335i w/ 45k miles. I have owned the car since Feb. 2013 and just recently took the car to get an oil change to an independent. While completing the oil change the mechanic stated that the Front Control Arm Bushing on the brakes is broken and will need to be replaced. He also stated the brake fluids needed to be replaced.

I am new to BMW and am not the savy with mechanical workings of the car. Other than a slight squeeling in the brakes that I hear when coming to a slow stop, the breaks feel great. The indy wants to charge me $500 to replace and another $130 to change the break fluids.

Am I getting ripped off? How can I tell if the bushing is actually broken and if the fluids need to be changed. Any help would be appreciated!

-Serg335i
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 06-21-2013, 08:03 AM
Watchme Watchme is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 379
Mein Auto: 2011 328i E90
Well, the control arm bushing is not part of your brakes. You need to find out if he's replacing the whole arm or just the bushing. If it's the entire arm, the price doesn't seem to be too bad. Break down the cost of parts and labor.
The brake fluid (in my opinion) needs to be replaced only if you're doing full brake overhaul (pads, rotors, and cleaning the calipers inside replacing rubber parts). Otherwise, not sure why would you need this at 45K.
GL.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-21-2013, 08:08 AM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,007
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serg335i View Post
Hello All,

I am a new owner of a 2007 335i w/ 45k miles. I have owned the car since Feb. 2013 and just recently took the car to get an oil change to an independent. While completing the oil change the mechanic stated that the Front Control Arm Bushing on the brakes is broken and will need to be replaced. He also stated the brake fluids needed to be replaced.

I am new to BMW and am not the savy with mechanical workings of the car. Other than a slight squeeling in the brakes that I hear when coming to a slow stop, the breaks feel great. The indy wants to charge me $500 to replace and another $130 to change the break fluids.

Am I getting ripped off? How can I tell if the bushing is actually broken and if the fluids need to be changed. Any help would be appreciated!

The charges are market for your work. The good news is: You can save well over 50% on those jobs by doing it yourself, if that's attractive to you.

The control arm involves two [2] nuts. Good price indeed if alignment included. You gotta have it after replacement, so add that cost if not included.

DOT4 brake fluid is available at any auto parts store, NAPA and O'Reilly's coming to mind. Info HERE
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-21-2013, 08:09 AM
jburke4689 jburke4689 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ellicott City, MD
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 580
Mein Auto: 2007 335i
Brake fluid is supposed to be changed every two years. $130 is steep but not out of the ballpark. If it needs changed you should have the warning on your iDrive or CBS system. If not, it doesn't need changed. The control arm bushing is checked by inspecting it. Your car has very low mileage to need one. It would be cracked or collapsed. You can see the crack in the rubber if it is there. Usually, the entire control arm is replaced. It will have a new bushing and ball joint in it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-21-2013, 08:11 AM
furby076's Avatar
furby076 furby076 is online now
IntarWeb Stalker
Location: 95 Feet Under
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,082
Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Maybe find another mechanic to get a second opinion? Possibly the dealership just for a looksy?
__________________
"Booberry" -ED 2013 335xi | B45 | ZMM | ZDA |Heated Seats | HK |EBII
My Drive Style

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-21-2013, 08:32 AM
Watchme Watchme is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 379
Mein Auto: 2011 328i E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburke4689 View Post
Brake fluid is supposed to be changed every two years. $130 is steep but not out of the ballpark. If it needs changed you should have the warning on your iDrive or CBS system. If not, it doesn't need changed. The control arm bushing is checked by inspecting it. Your car has very low mileage to need one. It would be cracked or collapsed. You can see the crack in the rubber if it is there. Usually, the entire control arm is replaced. It will have a new bushing and ball joint in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
The charges are market for your work. The good news is: You can save well over 50% on those jobs by doing it yourself, if that's attractive to you.

The control arm involves two [2] nuts. Good price indeed if alignment included. You gotta have it after replacement, so add that cost if not included.

DOT4 brake fluid is available at any auto parts store, NAPA and O'Reilly's coming to mind. Info HERE
Of course, I assume you guys expect the guy to fully replace brake fluid and bleed the system. He may just take a syringe to it and suck it out of the RES., replace with fresh fluid...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-21-2013, 08:51 AM
hondo402000 hondo402000 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Charlotte, NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,777
Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
replacing the brake fluid is fairly easy, if you can do stuff like that, and if you have one person in the car to pump the brakes., only thing by doing it your self is I dont think it replaces the fluid in the ABS pump.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-21-2013, 09:03 AM
thekurgan's Avatar
thekurgan thekurgan is offline
Bad Lieutenant
Location: Sacramento, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,844
Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
Maybe find another mechanic to get a second opinion? Possibly the dealership just for a looksy?
Yup. I find it hard to believe control arm bushings on the E9x chassis are gone by 45k.
__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/BMW Alcantara wheel
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-21-2013, 09:09 AM
CarlsonTheFlyer's Avatar
CarlsonTheFlyer CarlsonTheFlyer is offline
Paraglide! Walk on air!
Location: Atlanta, GA USA
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,259
Mein Auto: 2010 335i Coupe 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Yup. I find it hard to believe control arm bushings on the E9x chassis are gone by 45k.
I would agree, unless the car was thrashed repeatedly, or frequently driven off-pavement, or over many many speed bumps at higher speed...
__________________
Carlson The Flyer | BMW CCA # 423862
The problem with common sense is that it's not very common.

2010 335i, ZSP, ZPP, M-Sport, Le Mans Blue, 3 pedals of course!
Heated Seats | USB & iPod | Black Dakota Leather
Cobb AP Stage 1 Aggressive + | Cobb FMIC | BMW Performance Exhaust



Previous BMWs:
2001 330i ZSP ZPP 5-speed - sold, but not forgotten.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
2007 335i coupe, brakes, bushings, control arms


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms