Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-22-2013, 09:11 AM
Princeton

Mein Auto: 2008 335cxi
Tpms

I will need new tires shortly for my 2008 335xi.

Should I replace the TPMS sensors (or replace the batteries) - or bet that they will last another three years.

Can you replace the batteries - or do you need to buy new sensors?

All opinions welcomed.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:35 AM
info@e92-lighting.com

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
we are fully stocked with BERU TPMS sensors, each brand will last in different duration's of time.

http://www.e92-lighting.com/products...tem-950-0.html
Old 06-22-2013, 07:05 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeton View Post
I will need new tires shortly for my 2008 335xi.

Should I replace the TPMS sensors (or replace the batteries) - or bet that they will last another three years.

Can you replace the batteries - or do you need to buy new sensors?

All opinions welcomed.
The batteries can't be replaced (although DSX tried). There are various articles on how long the batteries will last, but reliable sources indicate that their life depends on driving mileage and years of service since the TPMS will go into "sleep mode" when not in use. I've seen articles that indicate 5 - 9 years of service...or 5 - 7 years of service depending on "use."

What was the build date of your car...we're now in the middle of 2013...are you a "high mileage" driver? Do you expect your tires to last THREE more years, as your TPMS are now 4.5 years old (depending on car build date).

Certainly, the batteries will "fail" according to a "normal curve," with high mileage, and cold climate users experiencing battery failures at a higher rate.

I'm thinking you'll be at the "edge" of TPMS replacement during the end of your new tire life, depending on annual mileage.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 06-22-2013, 07:56 PM
Princeton

Car now has 71,000 miles. Build date was 3/2008. I am the first (only owner). Expectation is that the replacement tires (another set of Conti DWS) will last the same as the last set - that went 36,000 miles.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:17 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeton View Post
Car now has 71,000 miles. Build date was 3/2008. I am the first (only owner). Expectation is that the replacement tires (another set of Conti DWS) will last the same as the last set - that went 36,000 miles.
So if my calculations are correct...and in the "worst case scenario" of 7-year TPMS battery life, they may fail in 2015 near the end of your replacement tire life...if mileage remains the same. Hard to predict if this will be an accurate end of the TPMS battery life.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 06-23-2013, 02:09 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
The batteries can't be replaced (although DSX tried). There are various articles on how long the batteries will last, but reliable sources indicate that their life depends on driving mileage and years of service since the TPMS will go into "sleep mode" when not in use. I've seen articles that indicate 5 - 9 years of service...or 5 - 7 years of service depending on "use."

What was the build date of your car...we're now in the middle of 2013...are you a "high mileage" driver? Do you expect your tires to last THREE more years, as your TPMS are now 4.5 years old (depending on car build date).

Certainly, the batteries will "fail" according to a "normal curve," with high mileage, and cold climate users experiencing battery failures at a higher rate.

I'm thinking you'll be at the "edge" of TPMS replacement during the end of your new tire life, depending on annual mileage.
You've brought back some memories P&G. I was able to replace the button batteries on the two types I experimented with but it wasn't cost effective. The battery, as well as the entire circuit board, is encapsulated in a firm gel or resin which is difficult to remove. Although the button batteries were common types the terminals were soldered to the circuit board.
Bottom line: Replacing batteries would cost me more in parts, direct labor, testing and warranty costs than I can buy the new sensors for.
If I were the OP I'd leave the sensors alone and take my chances. An interesting development is that we are starting to see battery failures, but not of all sensors on each car. Odd because they all have exactly the same run times. There are cars on which I changed a sensor a year ago and no others have failed since. All in all though, the battery life seems to be longer than first predicted, just like Prius hybrid batteries.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:19 AM
Princeton

Point & Go, DSX - thank you. I'm gonna take my chances. Based on the additional information you provided, I think that I'll make it through the set I'm buying shortly.