Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-22-2013, 01:54 PM
Corner Carving Addict

Mein Auto: 09 - 335i E92
2 part question regarding reduce power warning

1. How much are solenoid sensors on an n54? (guessing that is the issue but just as well could be HPFP again)

2. Is there a way to check the error code while the warning is showing? I had heard you could do this through check control somehow.

Have a reduced power warning whenever I get on the gas hard, usually after RPMS get over 3-4k. Am out of warranty but have the extended warranty on HPFP and Injectors. Thanks a bunch.
09 - 335i E92 / Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown / Dark Burl / Step / Comfort Access / Rear Sunshade / Heated Seats / PDC / iDrive / Sat. Radio / iPod & USB / Prem Pkg / Sport Pkg / OEM Alarm / Ventus V12 (Non-RFT) / V1 and other goodies...
Advertisement
Old 06-22-2013, 03:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Convertible
Question 1. I assume you mean the VANOS solenoids. I don't know about the cost, but there's some articles out there about how to clean them. Apparently they fail because they get sticky. Mine were replaced under warranty. But if they act up again, I'll try cleaning them first.

Question 2. I don't know of any way to read codes other than with a cable.

Frederic

Powered by corn.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
  1. Use the switch on the face of the turn signal lever until CHECK CONTROL appears
  2. Press the button at the end of the turn signal lever
  3. Use the switch on the face of the button to scroll through messages.
  4. On a particular message, press and hold the button on the end for 2 secs to CCID code.
  5. To exit the system, press the button on the end of the stalk again.
Find the CC code list here: https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/d...4242A6C62198A5

There's almost no detail on the reduced power warnings using this method, but you may get an inkling of what the issue is if there are other codes. You can also get a free generic code read from the folks at Autozone, or get one of the Bavarian Technic cables (http://www.bavariantechnic.com/buy.aspx, $287 and up) for far more information and utility.

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion

Last edited by Zooks527; 06-23-2013 at 02:54 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk23 View Post
1. How much are solenoid sensors on an n54? (guessing that is the issue but just as well could be HPFP again)

2. Is there a way to check the error code while the warning is showing? I had heard you could do this through check control somehow.

Have a reduced power warning whenever I get on the gas hard, usually after RPMS get over 3-4k. Am out of warranty but have the extended warranty on HPFP and Injectors. Thanks a bunch.

Well over three thousand posts, you've heard there's some way to check codes.

A jest....

Old 06-23-2013, 04:45 PM
Corner Carving Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXFred View Post
Question 1. I assume you mean the VANOS solenoids. I don't know about the cost, but there's some articles out there about how to clean them. Apparently they fail because they get sticky. Mine were replaced under warranty. But if they act up again, I'll try cleaning them first.

Question 2. I don't know of any way to read codes other than with a cable.

Frederic
Thank you sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
  1. Use the switch on the face of the turn signal lever until CHECK CONTROL appears
  2. Press the button at the end of the turn signal lever
  3. Use the switch on the face of the button to scroll through messages.
  4. On a particular message, press and hold the button on the end for 2 secs to CCID code.
  5. To exit the system, press the button on the end of the stalk again.
Find the CC code list here: https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/d...4242A6C62198A5

There's almost no detail on the reduced power warnings using this method, but you may get an inkling of what the issue is if there are other codes. You can also get a free generic code read from the folks at Autozone, or get one of the Bavarian Technic cables (http://www.bavariantechnic.com/buy.aspx, $287 and up) for far more information and utility.
THAT'S what I was looking for. Thank you! Will have to try this out next time I get the warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Well over three thousand posts, you've heard there's some way to check codes.

A jest....

You know what I mean!

More on topic, I notice that my MPG has taken a nosedive, so I am guessing this is a fuel pump issue? I used to get 20mpg on average and now I am hitting anywhere between 14-16mpg.
09 - 335i E92 / Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown / Dark Burl / Step / Comfort Access / Rear Sunshade / Heated Seats / PDC / iDrive / Sat. Radio / iPod & USB / Prem Pkg / Sport Pkg / OEM Alarm / Ventus V12 (Non-RFT) / V1 and other goodies...

Last edited by Mk23; 06-23-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk23 View Post
I notice that my MPG has taken a nosedive, so I am guessing this is a fuel pump issue? I used to get 20mpg on average and now I am hitting anywhere between 14-16mpg.

Read codes - poss oxygen sensor issue. Maybe not. Data will tell a tale. Nut shell blast lately?

Whattaya say - petition drive? Hidden codes have gone on too long in this country! We've got to drag 'em out into the light of day, kinkin' and spittin'! Shut down the BMW Secret Police - post those codes, with plain English explanations, in iDrive!

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 06-23-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:55 AM
Corner Carving Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Read codes - poss oxygen sensor issue. Maybe not. Data will tell a tale. Nut shell blast lately?

Whattaya say - petition drive? Hidden codes have gone on too long in this country! We've got to drag 'em out into the light of day, kinkin' and spittin'! Shut down the BMW Secret Police - post those codes, with plain English explanations, in iDrive!

If you are talking about carbon blasting then yeah I've had that done about a year ago. Also use fuel system additive every 3rd or so fill up (not super consistent with that but I try).

Yeah I think BMW or car manufacturers in general are afraid some idiot is going to see what exactly is wrong and try and fix it himself.