Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-22-2013, 08:50 PM
Fletch335i Fletch335i is online now
Registered User
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 40
Mein Auto: 2009 335i xdrive
Opinions/Advice...

Hello Fellow Bimmer Enthusiasts,

I am a relatively new Bimmer owner (March 2013). I have a 2009 BMW 335i xdrive sedan with 67000km. It has Dinan Stage 1, BMW performance exhaust, and a sprint booster. I just ordered the BMS oil catch can, Lux H8 V4 angel eyes, and H & R Sport Springs. I am looking for advice on what shocks to compliment the lowering springs. My gut is saying the Koni 'Yellows' Sport Shocks would be great. I like the fact that they are adjustable, which is what I am looking for. Coilovers would be an option, but I've heard that they don't survive well in the Canadian winters with all the salt on the roads (I'm from Ontario). My mechanic buddy tells me that the OE shocks are fine. Which is strange because body roll and torque squatting are already very noticeable. Especially since I plan to one day upgrade to Dinan Stage 3. Any input would be appreciated. Also, can anyone tell me how long I should expect for the install to take. Thanks

Fletch
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 06-22-2013, 09:02 PM
floydarogers's Avatar
floydarogers floydarogers is offline
Pedant and Curmudgeon
Location: Renton, WA
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,821
Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
If you're going to lower an xDrive car, you should definitely change the shocks. The OEM shocks are valved with the higher ride height in mind, and won't operate properly when lower.

Shocks have nothing to do with squatting and roll, that's the realm of springs and roll bars.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-22-2013, 09:13 PM
Fletch335i Fletch335i is online now
Registered User
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 40
Mein Auto: 2009 335i xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
If you're going to lower an xDrive car, you should definitely change the shocks. The OEM shocks are valved with the higher ride height in mind, and won't operate properly when lower.

Shocks have nothing to do with squatting and roll, that's the realm of springs and roll bars.
OK. I thought so. Do you have a particular type of shock in mind? Are the Koni Yellows a good choice? Finally, are you saying I should change the roll bars?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-22-2013, 10:41 PM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,007
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch335i View Post
I am a relatively new Bimmer owner (March 2013). I have a 2009 BMW 335i xdrive sedan with 67000km. It has Dinan Stage 1, BMW performance exhaust, and a sprint booster. I just ordered the BMS oil catch can, Lux H8 V4 angel eyes, and H & R Sport Springs. I am looking for advice on what shocks to compliment the lowering springs. My gut is saying the Koni 'Yellows' Sport Shocks would be great. I like the fact that they are adjustable, which is what I am looking for. Coilovers would be an option, but I've heard that they don't survive well in the Canadian winters with all the salt on the roads (I'm from Ontario). My mechanic buddy tells me that the OE shocks are fine. Which is strange because body roll and torque squatting are already very noticeable. Especially since I plan to one day upgrade to Dinan Stage 3. Any input would be appreciated. Also, can anyone tell me how long I should expect for the install to take.

Talk to H&R - your shocks should be matched to your springs.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-23-2013, 12:36 AM
floydarogers's Avatar
floydarogers floydarogers is offline
Pedant and Curmudgeon
Location: Renton, WA
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,821
Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch335i View Post
Finally, are you saying I should change the roll bars?
No, just trying to educate you on suspensions. There are some good postings on the E46 forum on suspension tuning IIRC. And some others on the www.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-25-2013, 11:11 PM
Fletch335i Fletch335i is online now
Registered User
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 40
Mein Auto: 2009 335i xdrive
Re: Opinions/Advice...

Well ordered the koni adjustable sport shocks. They're having a 20% off sale right now. Far cheaper than what an online store (mod bargains) was selling them for. I'll post photos once I imstall them
Thanks for the responses everyone

Sent from my SGH-I337M using BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-25-2013, 11:12 PM
Fletch335i Fletch335i is online now
Registered User
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 40
Mein Auto: 2009 335i xdrive
Re: Opinions/Advice...

*install

Sent from my SGH-I337M using BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-25-2013, 11:42 PM
bear-avhistory's Avatar
bear-avhistory bear-avhistory is offline
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Location: NC - USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,273
Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Any special reason you did not get the matching H&R shocks?
__________________
Kevin

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport MPPK/MPE
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV Build Thread
Cobra Coyote First Start.
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-27-2013, 10:57 PM
Fletch335i Fletch335i is online now
Registered User
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 40
Mein Auto: 2009 335i xdrive
Re: Opinions/Advice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
Any special reason you did not get the matching H&R shocks?
I just wanted adjustable shocks. And koni is having a 20% off sale. So it was meant to be.

On another note, can anyone tell me how long they figure the install of shixks and springs will take?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-27-2013, 10:59 PM
Fletch335i Fletch335i is online now
Registered User
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 40
Mein Auto: 2009 335i xdrive
Re: Opinions/Advice...

*Shocks

Sent from my SGH-I337M using BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms