Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 07-18-2013, 01:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0d Msport
Dings

Some inconsiderate bar steward (hope that translates to outside of UK) must have opened their door somewhere and smacked into my rear door, leaving a nice 1inch crease mark that simply p**ses me off now.

Anyone had any luck with these dent removal places? Do they really do a average/good/excellent job?
Ads by Google
Old 07-18-2013, 03:11 AM
On our 2nd Alpine X

Mein Auto: 06 X3/2010 MCSC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgroarke View Post
Some inconsiderate bar steward (hope that translates to outside of UK) must have opened their door somewhere and smacked into my rear door, leaving a nice 1inch crease mark that simply p**ses me off now.

Anyone had any luck with these dent removal places? Do they really do a average/good/excellent job?
Some dent/ ding guys are amazing. They know as soon as they look at it if it'll work or not. If you are not sure where to take it call your dealer.
GONE>>>Sold. One of the best rides I ever owned. My 1st BMW-2006 X3 3.0 White w/blk. Prem/Nav/Sirius/Servo/Heated seats,steering/Park Dist./Xenon/Privacy.I got the auto. trans. so my wife can drive it.
Our 2nd Bimmer2014 X3 i35 Alpine/Chestnut. Nav,Prem,Tech,Cold Weather, Shades. Got the Automatic cause we had no choice
My 1st Mini-2010 PW, I got the 6 speed so my wife can't drive it. Laurel Edition Convert
Old 07-18-2013, 04:57 AM

Mein Auto: Moto Guzzi
Dings

I had what I would call a crease on our prior CR-V (door). The dealer had "a guy" that heated it an popped it right out. At least what he told me. I was shocked as I thought it was a bond job and paint for sure. Guess just need to find a good one.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 07-18-2013, 05:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
My dealer has a dent guy working for them in their body shop.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:06 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 MSport 3.0d
Dings

I have used Dent Devils to remove a ding from a passenger door. As long as the paint has not been cracked they can remove small dents with specially shaped tools from inside the door. After they had removed the ding I was unable to see where it had actually been. They can be contacted on 0800 458 6700 to find your local technician.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:49 PM

Sweet people, thanks for the feedback.

Looks like I'll be calling on the dent/ding masters with confidence!

J
Old 07-18-2013, 05:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
I practice defensive parking to avoid a-holes that damage others property. My wife's car has a nice 8" crease from some knob Gobbler...
Old 07-20-2013, 01:41 AM

Good plan, I always try to do that (not parking next to trailer trash vehicle), but it appears someone got me at some point.

It must have been a hell of a concerted effort to open their door and bash mine. Not fair. I'm going to try the Dent Master to fix it :-)
Old 07-21-2013, 06:01 PM
2011 X3 35i

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
My wife and I parked our 2011 X3 35i by itself in back of COSTCO while visiting Metuchen, NJ. As we started walking towards the store, I noticed a new, white X5 darted into the open spot on the passenger side of my car. I quipped to my wife, ''Whew, what better car could there be to park next to me?"...and we kept walking towards the COSTCO entrance without looking back. When we got back to our car, I was stunned to find a 1" vertical crease above right rear wheel arch, filled with white paint. X5 gone.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:10 PM
On our 2nd Alpine X

Mein Auto: 06 X3/2010 MCSC
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmcphail View Post
My wife and I parked our 2011 X3 35i by itself in back of COSTCO while visiting Metuchen, NJ. As we started walking towards the store, I noticed a new, white X5 darted into the open spot on the passenger side of my car. I quipped to my wife, ''Whew, what better car could there be to park next to me?"...and we kept walking towards the COSTCO entrance without looking back. When we got back to our car, I was stunned to find a 1" vertical crease above right rear wheel arch, filled with white paint. X5 gone.
Somehow an azzhole will find your car. I parked as far as possible in a Walmart/PepBoys lot (big mistake) Somehow some irresponsible douche bag got my 06 X3 door with a shopping cart. $1400 damage.
GONE>>>Sold. One of the best rides I ever owned. My 1st BMW-2006 X3 3.0 White w/blk. Prem/Nav/Sirius/Servo/Heated seats,steering/Park Dist./Xenon/Privacy.I got the auto. trans. so my wife can drive it.
Our 2nd Bimmer2014 X3 i35 Alpine/Chestnut. Nav,Prem,Tech,Cold Weather, Shades. Got the Automatic cause we had no choice
My 1st Mini-2010 PW, I got the 6 speed so my wife can't drive it. Laurel Edition Convert
Old 07-22-2013, 09:58 AM

Defensive Parking 101:
  • avoid creating a parking space pull through
  • don't park at the bottom of down grade (damn shopping carts)
  • park further from the door (lazy people are likely careless people)
  • find corner parking spots (only one side of car to worry about)
  • avoid parking around shopping cart corral
  • windy days suck - take the wife's car
  • avoid "beaters"

OK, so the list is silly but my old Accord was eight years old and didn't have a mark on it with the exception of two marks in the bumpers on a single trip to Chicago.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
Defensive Parking 101:
  • avoid creating a parking space pull through
  • don't park at the bottom of down grade (damn shopping carts)
  • find corner parking spots (only one side of car to worry about)
  • avoid parking around shopping cart corral
  • windy days suck - take the wife's car
  • avoid "beaters"

OK, so the list is silly but my old Accord was eight years old and didn't have a mark on it with the exception of two marks in the bumpers on a single trip to Chicago.

Nice - I like that - especially the nugget about park further from the door, that made me smile enough to forget my issue.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:49 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
Defensive Parking 101:
I do not agree at all that those that park close to the door are lazy. Certainly many people do park as close as they can to minimize how far they need to walk. However, many people also park as close as they can to the door for other very good reasons.

If you think about it, selecting a space in a parking lot is a balance of three criteria; 1) convenience, 2) security, and 3) minimizing damage risk. This is especially important at large malls because it has been my observation that many of the large malls have significant security issues in their parking lots.

For me, security is clearly the highest priority. That typically means a parking space where the vehicle has the most visibility to passerbys and that, in turn, usually dictates being close to the entrance to the store. I want to deter someone from breaking into or stealing the car and I think that is least likely where the bad guy would be in a position that is easily seen by many people.

Door dings are also always clearly on my mind and sometimes I will park a little farther away to take advanyage of a space that minimizes the risk. I will, however, almost never park in a distant space with no regular pedestrian traffic in the immediate area or a space where my car is not readily visible to passerbys.

In other words, for me and many people (not all - of course), the choice of a parking space is a balance between security and protecting the car from dings etc. It has nothing to do with being lazy and that global conclusion is very short sighted.

This philosophy has served me well over the past 45 years as I only had my car broken into once. It was 1976 and the passanger window was broken out to steal a visible CB radio while I was in a movie. Six or more cars, all clustered near the front of the theater, were broken into by a group of guys in an apparently organized smash and grab event. I dont think the location of the car mattered for that event but I do think I allowed it to happen by leaving what was then a valuable CB radio in the open.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:35 AM

hmm, I've never had any of my cars broken into... then again I don't live in Florida.

There is a much higher probability of someone parking "by feel" or swinging their car door into your car when choosing a spot close to the store entrance than someone actually breaking into your car (unless of course you live in a crime ridden area).