Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 07-17-2013, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: X3 28i
Handling experience of new X3

I find the driving experience of X3 in 'Comfort mode' to be very average, compared to my old 3-series. Its slogs further in the Eco Sport mode. However, the 'sport' mode put the smile back on my face when it tightened up the entire truck.

Do rest of you have the same experience?
Advertisement
Old 07-17-2013, 05:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Gee, a 3 series sedan more fun to drive than the X3 SUV, who would have thought?
Old 07-17-2013, 05:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
I always feel my 28i is heavy in local street driving. There's a half second lag when I floor the gas pedal. Even my 10 years old toyota corolla feels quicker and lighter around the street corners. But after the first second the car accelerates fast. It took me a while to adjust my driving habits.

Yea sports mode is great, but it drinks gas like there's no tomorrow. It's probably harsher for the car too.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3
First bimmer for me. I've been driving SUVs for years. And I'm female. So those are all probably factors. Anyway, I love Comfort Mode with my sport seats and DHP. It is the most comfortable ride of any vehicle I've owned, yet I still feel the road and the handling seems tight. I switch to Sport mode occasionally, for more speed or a curvy road.

By contrast, when I test drove an RX 350, the ride was so smooth that I couldn't even tell when going over rail road tracks. But there was no connection to the road.

I have a smile on my face every time I get in.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 28i X3
Sport mode

Does putting the car in sport mode actually make a difference in the ride, suspension and steering or does it just make the RPM's go higher for a little more torque? Do you need the M Sport package for it to make a difference in sport mode? I have the 2012 28i six cylinder and I find it helps only for more torque but have not noticed any difference in handling?

2010 Mini Cooper S
Old 07-18-2013, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: Moto Guzzi
Handling experience of new X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitches View Post
First bimmer for me. I've been driving SUVs for years. And I'm female. So those are all probably factors. Anyway, I love Comfort Mode with my sport seats and DHP. It is the most comfortable ride of any vehicle I've owned, yet I still feel the road and the handling seems tight. I switch to Sport mode occasionally, for more speed or a curvy road.

By contrast, when I test drove an RX 350, the ride was so smooth that I couldn't even tell when going over rail road tracks. But there was no connection to the road.

I have a smile on my face every time I get in.
This is exactly my wife's sentiment. First Bimmer. SUV for 15 years. Was convinced she would end with an RX 350 as she wanted one for years. Tried an X5, then an X3 and says the same as you. Her favorite car she has ever had.

Bob

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 07-18-2013, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
If anyone is not happy with the way the X3 handles, I suggest you compare it to other similary suzed SUVs. For example, go to a Lexus dealer and drive an RX-350. Then come back and say what you think of the X3.

I also have a Lexus RX-350. It drives, sounds, and feels, exactly like my Dad's 1950s and 1960s Buicks. Its top heavy, corners terribly even when well within the speed limit, and there needs to be a real concious effort to maintain control if suddenly giving full throttle. We had the RX-350 on well traveled artieries in the mountains around Asheville and Cashiers, NC a year or so ago and it was a very unpleasant experience because it cornered so bad. The suspension is much too soft and it is so incredibly bouncy. My new X3 blows the Lexus away.

The point here is that you cannot compare how the X3 handles to anything but a similarly sized SUV. In this respect, having driven other SUVs also, the X3 is wonderful. You cannot meaningfully compare its handling to another style vehicle, even a 3 series, because the center of gravity is so much higher with the X3. As good as I think the X3 handles its a pig compared to my Z3 but that is a meaningless comparison.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 XDrive 28i
Comfort mode is good for long drive, sports is good for stop and go and Eco is good for nothing really, i think is not safe to drive in Eco pro mode, in tight situation you will be hot by some one in Eco pro mode. My wife wanted the X3 for a while, we did not like the last X3 but the new redesign X3 has almost the space of X5 with gas milage of E90 3 series. We did 1300 miles trip and did close to 29 MPG highway. 5K on X3 now.
E90 2007
E46 2005
Old 07-18-2013, 06:27 PM
SD_Bimmer

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 , 2008 328i Sedan
my 2013 XDrive281 in Sport mode drives a lot like my 2008 328i with Sports Package, I did not get the paddles and I regret it. Comfort mode is not as fun but still much better than other SUVs.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:44 AM

Mein Auto: 13 X3 35i MSport, 09 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuger View Post
Does putting the car in sport mode actually make a difference in the ride, suspension and steering or does it just make the RPM's go higher for a little more torque? Do you need the M Sport package for it to make a difference in sport mode? I have the 2012 28i six cylinder and I find it helps only for more torque but have not noticed any difference in handling?
You need the dynamic dampers to feel a big difference in the ride, although I believe even if you don't have those it will still adjust your steering weight. Note that this sport mode is the one you activate with the rocker switch next to the shifter, not by moving the shifter to the left. If you don't have the switch, you don't have this sport mode at all.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuger View Post
Adding to what Vortec4800 said - on the standard F25 without any sport or handling packages, the driving mode switch changes both transmission shift points and steering response. It does not change the suspension. I am not sure about the 2012 model, but the 2014 model has an additional switch that disables DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) and DTC (Dynamic Traction Control). I believe that when you have both DSC and DTC off, you essentially have a rear wheel drive vehicle.

While these switches do not change the suspension directly, the it feels to the driver as if the car handles differently. My personal opinion is that the change is noticeable, but subtle.

If you have a vehicle with handling or performance or steering options such as 223, 2VG, 2VL, 2TB which are usually included in some sort of "sports package" or "handling package", then my comments do not apply completely.

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine
Old 07-20-2013, 03:36 PM

Mein Auto: 13 X3 35i MSport, 09 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverman View Post
Adding to what Vortec4800 said - on the standard F25 without any sport or handling packages, the driving mode switch changes both transmission shift points and steering response. It does not change the suspension. I am not sure about the 2012 model, but the 2014 model has an additional switch that disables DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) and DTC (Dynamic Traction Control). I believe that when you have both DSC and DTC off, you essentially have a rear wheel drive vehicle.

While these switches do not change the suspension directly, the it feels to the driver as if the car handles differently. My personal opinion is that the change is noticeable, but subtle.

If you have a vehicle with handling or performance or steering options such as 223, 2VG, 2VL, 2TB which are usually included in some sort of "sports package" or "handling package", then my comments do not apply completely.
You're correct about everything you said except the RWD part, no buttons or switches change the front/rear power distribution. The DSC/DTC won't try to move power around as much when it's all off, but you'll still get power sent to both the front and rear wheels. If you have the M-Sport you get more power to the rear than front, but still not 100% rear unless your front wheels have no traction at all.

I don't know the exact amounts (maybe someone else can correct my numbers if they're off) but I think normal vehicles are about 60/40 front/rear and the M-Sports default to probably more like 30/70 front/rear. While the system can technically send 100% of the power either to the front or to the rear, I don't think it does this very often under normal circumstances - they would need to be pretty extreme.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortec4800 View Post
You're correct about everything you said except the RWD part, no buttons or switches change the front/rear power distribution. The DSC/DTC won't try to move power around as much when it's all off, but you'll still get power sent to both the front and rear wheels. If you have the M-Sport you get more power to the rear than front, but still not 100% rear unless your front wheels have no traction at all.

I don't know the exact amounts (maybe someone else can correct my numbers if they're off) but I think normal vehicles are about 60/40 front/rear and the M-Sports default to probably more like 30/70 front/rear. While the system can technically send 100% of the power either to the front or to the rear, I don't think it does this very often under normal circumstances - they would need to be pretty extreme.
Correction accepted. I agree.

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine