Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:07 PM
1er2F25

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 xDrive28i
where is my telephone function?

Maybe someone can help me with this as this is completely new to me. Anyhow, I picked up my 09 128i this past Friday, and on my drive back home, I tried to pair my cellphone with the car to make a call to my wife, but come to find out my telephone function is not on iDrive. I tried to get it to come up with the telephone button on the steering wheel, as well as the telephone button on the iDrive controller, and the function does not work at all. To clarify, there is no Telephone menu on the screen either. Please help if you have any input.
Ads by Google
Old 06-23-2013, 07:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 135i
You probably do not have a telephone function. If you do not have BMW Assist, you definitely don't have it. I had a loaner Friday and it did not have Bluetooth, the function was greyed out on the abbreviated iDrive screen.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:15 AM
1er2F25

I have the BMW assist menu.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:22 PM

Mein Auto: 4runner, RS4, X5 M
Hi I'm an employee with BMW/MINI and would like to do my best to help you out here and you have 2 possible answers to this.

1. ) Here's a list of compatible phones.
http://www.bmw.ca/ca/en/owners/navig...ed_List_EN.pdf

If your phone is compatible make sure your blue tooth setting is turned on go to the main menu on your BMW screen and dial down to "telephone". Select "add phone". The screen will then ask you to start pairing your device and that is when you go to your phone's blue tooth settings and pair with the BMW device pairing name which should be displayed on the screen of your vehicle. You will then need to enter a pin on your phone anything you want it to be and you'll have to enter the same pin on the BMW screen. It'll verify the pin and you should be connected. Did you buy this car privately or at a dealer? If dealer, I am surprised your salesman did not set it up for you as it is a priority during the delivery process.

2.) This would suck if you bought it from a dealership because you might have been misinformed. What I mean is just because the buttons are there, it doesn't mean the feature is built into it. For example, some BMW and Mercedes will have the Satellite Radio and Navigation Buttons, but they are not built in to it because the original owner did not buy the package and had it built in.

This is how it works, the BMW assist is an option and when you buy your vehicle brand new, your dealer will ask if you want the feature. If you want it, they will have it set up, if not, then the vehicle will just have the buttons but you won't be charged for the feature nor will you be able to use it. Since yours is a 09', the original owner may not have purchased the option. So , if you bought this privately, you might want to ask the owner if he had purchased BMW Assist. If you bought this at a dealer, you have been misinformed. If you did buy this at a dealer, did your salesman go through the history report with you? Did he tell you that some features built in are optional although the buttons are there for it and did he check the original bill of sale that is ALWAYS supplied by BMW Motors( with the personal information of the customer blocked off of course ) to show you what was and was not purchased with it?
Old 06-26-2013, 11:07 PM
1er2F25

I may just not have that function installed then. I bought it privately and I remember the guy saying I could make calls from the car, but that he didn't know how to do it because he never used it before, which I find hard to believe. He also gave me the purchase order and I do not see that bluetooth was added when he ordered the car, so I think it is safe to assume that I just do not have it. Is this something that can easily be added via software?
Old 06-27-2013, 08:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E82 & 2012 E93
One way to find out is register with this site run the VIN through and see if Bluetooth option came with the car or not.

http://bmwvin.com/
2006 E90 ( Sold )
2001 E46 ( Sold )

My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Old 07-10-2013, 03:34 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 2.8 BMW Z3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1zamboni View Post
One way to find out is register with this site run the VIN through and see if Bluetooth option came with the car or not.

http://bmwvin.com/
I've found this site to be very useful when it comes to checking VINs as well:

http://www.rubmw.ru/vincode/eng/