Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-23-2013, 05:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330Ci
Replaced Battery... Still Problems?!? Help!

Hey guys - So I was driving my 2004 BMW 330Ci and it started "hesitating"... the battery light (RED) would flash on and off... felt as if the car was going to turn off. I made it to a parking lot and it went dead. I purchased a new battery, replaced it without problem, and drove off. About 5 minutes into the drive it all started happening again...!?! Could it be connected incorrectly? Not tight enough?

Any suggestions/advice I would really appreciate!!!!!!! Thanks!!

Jim
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2013, 05:32 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Continuing to drive on a weak/failing battery will sometimes stress the alternator to the failing point. In the E46 Wiki you`ll find a tutorial on using your car`s "hidden" OBD functions to check the electrical system.

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 06-23-2013, 07:14 PM

Thanks Fast Bob - I remounted the connectors and tightened things more this time... Seems to be running fine now... I hope it stays this way!!!!
Old 06-23-2013, 07:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
I'll bet you still have problems. Hope not, but don't ignore. Better to find the problem and fix it rather than 'hope'.
Use the OBC hidden func to monitor voltage while driving when you go somewhere.

I think your original problem is partly due to a failing alternator. Unless you had a very loose connection somewhere.

See attached and learn to use function #9
Attached Files
File Type: pdf OBC Hidden Functions.pdf (47.3 KB, 23 views)
Old 06-24-2013, 09:32 AM

No continuing problems! As I said earlier I believe the connectors were not tight enough. Drives fine now, but yes I agree GoForthFast... I'll keep my eyes open.
Now I know I need to have my computer reset. I've called a few local shops and is a $60-$80 charge accurate for a simple reset? I'd appreciate your advice guys.

Thanks!!

Jim
Old 06-24-2013, 09:42 AM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GThg3zx View Post
Now I know I need to have my computer reset. I've called a few local shops and is a $60-$80 charge accurate for a simple reset? I'd appreciate your advice guys.

Thanks!!

Jim
Bulldinky ! The only thing that needs to be reset is the clock, which you can do yourself in about 10 seconds....

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 06-24-2013, 10:04 AM

Really? ... I've been told by the people who sold me the battery, reading up on this process and others that a computer reset is mandatory after replacing the battery because although it'll seem to work fine, the computer has not registered the new battery and it'll continually push power to make things run correctly... instead of working "normally"...

I'm not saying you're wrong, but now you have me thinking
Old 06-24-2013, 10:29 AM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GThg3zx View Post
Really? ... I've been told by the people who sold me the battery, reading up on this process and others that a computer reset is mandatory after replacing the battery because although it'll seem to work fine, the computer has not registered the new battery and it'll continually push power to make things run correctly... instead of working "normally"...

I'm not saying you're wrong, but now you have me thinking
Do your homework, Skippy !

E46s do not require "Battery Registration"....

Old 06-25-2013, 05:20 PM

...and you're right! A BMW rep came out within minutes and said "Your car doesn't need a battery reset"! What could it be... what could it be It freaked out on me today with RED battery flashes and acted worse than I've experienced since the beginning of this mess... It's at the shop now...

GoForthFast - You called it...! Still problems...
Old 06-25-2013, 10:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325ci
wow I was gonna say the only thing you need to do is reset the clock. My battery died last week. I had a friend pick me up and we took the battery out the car. I know we were gone for over an hour. Plopped the new battery in, and it started right up. On my car, I didn't have any lights flashing on the dash though. Good luck. I hope it's just something loose
Old 06-26-2013, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: '05 BMW 330i
Replaced Battery... Still Problems?!? Help!

My guess is the shop will tell you the alternator needs replacing.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
'05 Mazda Tribute s AWD - 100,000 miles