Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-24-2013, 08:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325ci
Freshened the look of my Brakes! Big improvement for a few bucks. PICS

I got up Sunday morning with the idea to freshen up the looks of my brakes so I drove to Auto zone and picked up a can of VHT high performance auto paint. I already had black and metallic paint. I removed the calipers and used some heavy grit sand paper and a steel brush to clean them up. As the pic shows they were pretty rusty and old looking.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMA02.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	383367

Name:	IMA05.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	383368
Ads by Google
Old 06-24-2013, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto: 325ci
After Pics

Here are the pics of when I was done. It didn't take that long. I think they came out great, not to flashy but a nice clean suttle improvement.

DIY Scale-1
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG20.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	383369   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG23.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	383370   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG29.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	383371   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG33.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	383372   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG99.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	383373  

Last edited by hoodlum; 06-24-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:25 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mein Auto: 08' 4Runner V8
It certainly looks like you did a good job painting them.

It's your car and you will be driving it so the most important thing is that you like it.

I always painted mine black in the past. I feel like stock calipers painted red or yellow just screams "look how tiny my brakes are".

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.”
“They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”

Extra credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3" not "I'm looking for a M3".
Old 06-24-2013, 08:37 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
I agree with Pete.

E46 calipers are pretty damn puny....IMHO, the less attention they generate, the better.

(Can`t argue about their effectiveness, though )

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 06-24-2013, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: BMW e46 1,9l M43
Well... might think of painting brake calipers when putting in new ones next time, not worth the effort with old ones in my opinion.
Either way i think i would make them close to body color and not stand out so much on their own.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325i ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgr122 View Post
Well... might think of painting brake calipers when putting in new ones next time, not worth the effort with old ones in my opinion.
Either way i think i would make them close to body color and not stand out so much on their own.
I have original calipers on my '04 and in the past 2 years, have re-painted them a couple times with caliper paint. They look brand new and it prevents corrosion so why not?! It's not that hard and inexpensive.

OP - Nice job...I'm not a fan of high profile colors to show off calipers but whatever floats your boat. It shows you care about your car and that you put in the effort to keep it looking and running good.

"It is little use listening to other people as they will either be agreeing with you or saying stupid stuff" - Dogbert

I'm not a pessimist. At some point the world sh!ts on everybody. Pretending it ain't sh!t makes you an idiot, not an optimist.

2004 325i - Sport package - 5MT- clears - CDV mod - M3 gauge faces w/silver gauge rings & red needles - SS exhaust tips - strut tower brace - Hotchkis anti-sway bars -50% tint - shadow grills - roof spoiler - silver CF trim