Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-24-2013, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325CI
Other wires up front behind bumper

Good day everybody. New here. Bought my son a 2001 325ci the other day. Was up under neigh to show him how to change oil and I noticed a missing piece up by the front passenger tire. After several searches I have learned the outside temp sensor is on the driver side. It is there and working fine. What I am looking at is in the same area, just on the passenger side. The plastic is missing (looks like a curb issue) and I see two wires hanging. Everything sems to be working fine but something must be missing. Any ideas?
Ads by Google
Old 06-24-2013, 05:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 325Ci Convertible
second horn maybe... .. You wouldn't even notice by problems with the car, but honk the horn and if it sounds weak... there you go.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325CI
Hmm. I did have him honk the horn going down the highway. It wasn't super load but did go beep. I will search for that.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 325i 201k
I have the same wires hanging on the passenger side. when i got the car ther were all shredded up. I cut the them back so both sides are insulated. It didnt seem to affect anything so i forgot about them. I would love to know what they connect too.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:00 AM
Rambling Wreck

Mein Auto: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by scheerce View Post
What I am looking at is in the same area, just on the passenger side. The plastic is missing (looks like a curb issue) and I see two wires hanging. Everything sems to be working fine but something must be missing. Any ideas?
If it isn't the wiring for the passenger side horn or the fog light, then you may be missing the disc-shaped temperature switch that controls the heated washer jets. The switch clips into that lower plastic trim on the passenger side.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 325i 201k
Does the hot weather package have the wiring in place for the washers?
Old 06-25-2013, 03:35 PM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
The cold weather pkg has heated headlight washers.

realoem.com is a good resource for finding out what should be there when things appear to be missing.

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 07-01-2013, 04:06 PM

Mein Auto: '04 325i
Can you post a couple of pic's of the wires?
Old 07-02-2013, 05:33 AM

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr826 View Post
The cold weather pkg has heated headlight washers.

realoem.com is a good resource for finding out what should be there when things appear to be missing.
This
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD
Old 07-02-2013, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: M1A1 Abrams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngreaver View Post
Does the hot weather package have the wiring in place for the washers?
I'm not sure what a "hot weather package" is, but my car is a no-frills Cali-destined vehicle (SULEV) with no headlight washers, however, the washer temperature sensor is still present in front of the passenger tire, clipped into the bottom of the forward front wheel liner assembly.

What I'd like to know is what a stripped pair of wires is hanging down on the driver's side, near the fog light, goes to. I haven't explored it further, but there also appears to be a broken plastic tab screwed into that area: the entire forward front wheel liner is missing on the driver's side but it's replacement (a genuine BMW part off a donor car) does have a side panel that would go up and mount to the location of the remnants of a broken tab are.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:00 PM

On the drivers side, you should have 2 sets of wires that I can think of... One would be the horn... you have 2 horns, so if you honk and it sounds weak, it's the horn. The other wires would be the outside temperature sensor. If your temperature guage reads either 120 degrees or -40 degrees at all times... well there is your problem. I had to go to a junk yard to get a new temperature sensor for my car.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:04 AM

Mein Auto: 335i coupe 6mt
i have the same wire hanging too, shredded up as well. i just taped it up and forgot about it
Old 07-27-2013, 09:26 PM

I think I figured out what those stripped wires go to: the outside temperature sensor. I'm in the process of troubleshooting why my instrument cluster indicator lights for my fogs, turn signals and sound, and high beams no longer work and I got an IKE (Instrument Cluster Electronics) error of CE [206] Outside-temperature sensor. Further research I came across a thread that discusses this sensor that plugs into the driver's side front fender leading wheel liner, both of which happens to be missing on my car:

I'm just not sure which systems utilize this temperature sensor...
Old 07-28-2013, 12:09 AM

if the wires for the outside temperature sensore are shorted together or if they are open, it will give you two readings on your cluster.. both of which should make a chime sound when u turn the car on.. -40 degrees or 120 degree.. . . nothing bad will happen at 120 degrees, but at -40 degrees the outside mirror heaters and windshield washer nozzel defrosters will come on AND the compressor for the a/c usually won't kick on.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakusaurus View Post
if the wires for the outside temperature sensore are shorted together or if they are open, it will give you two readings on your cluster.. both of which should make a chime sound when u turn the car on.. -40 degrees or 120 degree.. . . nothing bad will happen at 120 degrees, but at -40 degrees the outside mirror heaters and windshield washer nozzel defrosters will come on AND the compressor for the a/c usually won't kick on.
Apparently, the ambient temperature display on the instrument cluster is OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT as I do not have that (plain jane 325i) and my turn signal stalk does not have the button to switch to different displays (time is the only display in the cluster).

The compressor and A/C do work; just not the most efficient and I have to usually manually adjust the temperature for hotter/colder weather.

Isn't there yet another temperature sensor on the passenger front side used for the windshield washer (which again, begs the question, why couldn't BMW use just one temperature sensor for all equipment) in the form of a disc that is also attached to the front fender leading wheel liner (which IS present in my vehicle)? Again, my plain jane has no windshield washer defrosters.

Last edited by Augster; 07-28-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:08 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augster View Post
Apparently, the ambient temperature display on the instrument cluster is OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT as I do not have that (plain jane 325i) and my turn signal stalk does not have the button to switch to different displays (time is the only display in the cluster).

The compressor and A/C do work; just not the most efficient and I have to usually manually adjust the temperature for hotter/colder weather.

Isn't there yet another temperature sensor on the passenger front side used for the windshield washer (which again, begs the question, why couldn't BMW use just one temperature sensor for all equipment) in the form of a disc that is also attached to the front fender leading wheel liner (which IS present in my vehicle)? Again, my plain jane has no windshield washer defrosters.
Even though you don't have the OBC function on your dash, the ambient sensor is still there and for a couple bucks you can add the OBC stalk that allows you to see those things on your dash.

As for why BMW does what it does, I can only guess that the engineers work long hours during Octoberfest.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 07-28-2013, 09:34 AM

If all the functionality in the instrument cluster is there and only requires switching to the "upgraded" turn signal stalk, then by all means, I'd do it. The price of a new one is bit steep, going for $95 at FCP (PN 61318363668). I found one on eBay for only $25. But I need to confirm that this simple switch is all I need to access all the "optional" display functions on the instrument cluster, yes?

I will eventually replace the driver's side temperature sensor ($33 off eBay which includes replacement wire ends and plug), but will need a way to secure it. The problem is that the fender liner that the sensor attaches to is missing. I replaced it once but because the front bumper is missing the leading mounting tab, I couldn't secure the front of the liner and the sheer wind force bent it downwards and the front wheel ran over it during a turn and tore it off. So until I find away to secure the front of the liner, I will hold off installing my second wheel liner replacement.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:55 PM

my temperature sensor had ripped off, so I found one at a pull-a-part junk yard & paid $9 for it and the clip... pulled the sensor off a much newer 5 series.. . . Ended up ty wrapping the sensor under the bumper since the splash guard currently isn't there.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
While I understand your train of thought here, I believe that the BMW temperature sensor does not report from 0 to infinity ohms (or equivalent voltage) and instead reports within a subset of that, and any responses on the circuit outside of that range will be classified as a malfunctioning part. This is corroborated by the fact that my OBC detects a fault with the temperature sensor (it's missing and therefore is an "open" circuit with infinite resistance). In this event, I am strictly guessing the OBC probably compensates by either using the other temperature sensor (in my case, the passenger side associated with the windshield washer), defaulting to a pre-programmed "average" ambient temperature (say, 72 degrees Fahrenheit), or ignoring input from that sensor entirely. Hence, I don't really see the unexpected activation of temperature-sensitive components.

Quote:
Ended up ty wrapping the sensor under the bumper since the splash guard currently isn't there.
I will end up doing something like that in the meantime. Most "pick your own part" here in San Diego have gone away to make room for residential development (oh I miss the "Ecology" days...).
Old 07-28-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
Even though you don't have the OBC function on your dash, the ambient sensor is still there and for a couple bucks you can add the OBC stalk that allows you to see those things on your dash.
I found a thread on the "other" forum and adding the upgraded stalk and reprogramming the OBC to enable its function ala BMW Scanner is relatively easy... once you get past having to remove the steering wheel.

Since I am contemplating doing just that (because the remote control buttons on the steering wheel are worn off badly by the previous owner) with upgrading to a sport wheel, I will certainly do the turn signal upgrade.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:04 AM

Finally got around to installing the OBC stalk, fired up BMW Scanner, and enabled the On-board Computer on the Instrument Cluster (IKE) Recoding screen. The ambient outside temperature is reading 40 degrees Fahrenheit, so that appears to be the "default" temperature if the sensor is missing. I ordered up a replacement sensor with repair wiring off eBay so I can finally put this issue to bed!