Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-24-2013, 08:30 PM
Rex Beavers

Mein Auto: 2006 325i and 2009 M5
Maybe It's Just Me!

This is my second attempt to figure out an ever growing "problem" with my 2006 325i. I had posted a few weeks ago about a lag on takeoff from a red light or stop sign. Tonight it started doing something new. The lag is still there, but now if I'm going down a hill and I lift my foot off of the gas pedal, the car slows down. As if I have the e-brake on a bit or there is an engine brake on the car. I was going down a pretty steep grade at 50 mph, when I lifted completely off the gas, I slowed to almost 40 in a matter of 10 or 15 seconds. This doesn't seem right to me! It really feels as if I'm putting the brakes on. I've tried this "transmission reset" procedure. Not sure if it did anything or not.....Oh, did I mention that the lag is still there? Any ideas before I take it to the shop?
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2013, 09:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexBeavers View Post
This is my second attempt to figure out an ever growing "problem" with my 2006 325i. I had posted a few weeks ago about a lag on takeoff from a red light or stop sign. Tonight it started doing something new. The lag is still there, but now if I'm going down a hill and I lift my foot off of the gas pedal, the car slows down. As if I have the e-brake on a bit or there is an engine brake on the car. I was going down a pretty steep grade at 50 mph, when I lifted completely off the gas, I slowed to almost 40 in a matter of 10 or 15 seconds. This doesn't seem right to me! It really feels as if I'm putting the brakes on. I've tried this "transmission reset" procedure. Not sure if it did anything or not.....Oh, did I mention that the lag is still there? Any ideas before I take it to the shop?

I don't remember - did you read codes?
Old 06-25-2013, 05:27 AM
Rex Beavers

Mein Auto: 2006 325i and 2009 M5
CALWATERBOY,

I did not read the codes, not even sure how to do it. I do know that when you mess around with the button on the turn signal stalk, and you go beyond the reset features, there are a lot of different little bits of gibberish (letters and numbers). Are these the codes you are referring to, or do you mean OBD2 codes?
Old 06-25-2013, 06:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
are you using cruse control? the cruse control will apply the rear brakes going down a hill to maintain the speed, if you dont belive me, set the cruse to 70 on the interstate and use the lever to change the speed, if you decrease it to 55 it will apply the brakes
Old 06-25-2013, 07:02 AM
Found the Search Button

Mein Auto: '06 E90 325i '07 E92 328i
Maybe It's Just Me!

The car downshifts when you let off the gas and begins decelerating? Is that what you're feeling? If so that's normal.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-25-2013, 07:08 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
There aren't always codes; it's the first response folks on boards ask so it is easier to diagnose. It does sound like you have a transmission problem. How long have you had the car? Has it done this from the start or gotten progressively worse? Do you have an independent shop to take the car into for a diagnosis?

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BPMSport 91 oct tune/BPMSport feature coding/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/BMW Alcantara wheel/BMWCCA #453468/Rear Fog Switch
Old 06-25-2013, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexBeavers View Post
CALWATERBOY,

I did not read the codes, not even sure how to do it. I do know that when you mess around with the button on the turn signal stalk, and you go beyond the reset features, there are a lot of different little bits of gibberish (letters and numbers). Are these the codes you are referring to, or do you mean OBD2 codes?

You're flyin' blind here w/o a BMW code reader....guess at best.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:08 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
You're flyin' blind here w/o a BMW code reader....guess at best.
It's not going to cost anything NEAR the price of a BT to have this diagnosed.

OP, if you're concerned with the way the transmission is functioning, it will probably cost you some dough to have it properly diagnosed; I would not purchase any device at this point.

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BPMSport 91 oct tune/BPMSport feature coding/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/BMW Alcantara wheel/BMWCCA #453468/Rear Fog Switch