Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-25-2013, 03:06 PM
Averdi's Avatar
Averdi Averdi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 272
Mein Auto: BMW 325i 2006
Ugh troubles

I've now owned my car for about a month and have already put 1400 into it. What do you guys think? So far a water pump and thermostat (900)and now it has to get gasket valve caps(500) is this all regular maintainer for a bmw with 87k miles or do I have a lemon?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
2006 325i
Red intake scoops, Red taillights, Red calipers, M3 rep wheels, M bumper, 28% tints, 6000k Angels & Fog lights, clear cornered headlights, Black and White emblems, Smoked side markers
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 06-25-2013, 03:09 PM
thekurgan's Avatar
thekurgan thekurgan is offline
Bad Lieutenant
Location: Sacramento, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,534
Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averdi View Post
I've now owned my car for about a month and have already put 1400 into it. What do you guys think? So far a water pump and thermostat (900)and now it has to get gasket valve caps(500) is this all regular maintainer for a bmw with 87k miles or do I have a lemon?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
What are the "gasket valve caps"? Water pump seems normal at that mileage or even before; you got lucky
__________________
08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/ZHP knob
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-25-2013, 03:11 PM
Averdi's Avatar
Averdi Averdi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 272
Mein Auto: BMW 325i 2006
Ugh troubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
What are the "gasket valve caps"? Water pump seems normal at that mileage or even before; you got lucky
I forget what exactly they are. Something with the gasket and the valves


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
2006 325i
Red intake scoops, Red taillights, Red calipers, M3 rep wheels, M bumper, 28% tints, 6000k Angels & Fog lights, clear cornered headlights, Black and White emblems, Smoked side markers
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-25-2013, 03:15 PM
Averdi's Avatar
Averdi Averdi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 272
Mein Auto: BMW 325i 2006
Ugh troubles

Pretty sure it's leaking and needs to be fixed


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
2006 325i
Red intake scoops, Red taillights, Red calipers, M3 rep wheels, M bumper, 28% tints, 6000k Angels & Fog lights, clear cornered headlights, Black and White emblems, Smoked side markers
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-25-2013, 03:47 PM
thekurgan's Avatar
thekurgan thekurgan is offline
Bad Lieutenant
Location: Sacramento, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,534
Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averdi View Post
I forget what exactly they are. Something with the gasket and the valves


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I have no idea what you're talking about here. Maybe put in text what your tech explained to you in exact terms. Looks like it's gonna cost you more than that tint job
__________________
08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/ZHP knob
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-25-2013, 03:57 PM
Averdi's Avatar
Averdi Averdi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 272
Mein Auto: BMW 325i 2006
Ugh troubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
I have no idea what you're talking about here. Maybe put in text what your tech explained to you in exact terms. Looks like it's gonna cost you more than that tint job
Head gasket needs to be replaced. Got it and I know this car is killing me


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
2006 325i
Red intake scoops, Red taillights, Red calipers, M3 rep wheels, M bumper, 28% tints, 6000k Angels & Fog lights, clear cornered headlights, Black and White emblems, Smoked side markers
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-25-2013, 04:01 PM
thekurgan's Avatar
thekurgan thekurgan is offline
Bad Lieutenant
Location: Sacramento, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,534
Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Ugh troubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averdi View Post
Head gasket needs to be replaced. Got it and I know this car is killing me


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Head gasket is very rare.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/ZHP knob
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-25-2013, 04:02 PM
Averdi's Avatar
Averdi Averdi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 272
Mein Auto: BMW 325i 2006
Ugh troubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Head gasket is very rare.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Is it...that's not a good sign


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
2006 325i
Red intake scoops, Red taillights, Red calipers, M3 rep wheels, M bumper, 28% tints, 6000k Angels & Fog lights, clear cornered headlights, Black and White emblems, Smoked side markers
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-25-2013, 04:26 PM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 9,710
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averdi View Post
I've now owned my car for about a month and have already put 1400 into it. What do you guys think? So far a water pump and thermostat (900)and now it has to get gasket valve caps(500) is this all regular maintainer for a bmw with 87k miles or do I have a lemon?

Many buyers, thinking they're getting a steal of a deal on a fine, preowned BMW, discover they've bought previous owner's problems -and- owner sold 'cause ain't cheap.

You're well advised to invest in tools. DIY is excellent, both educationally and for personal confidence/self reliance. And if you need a mech, there's a lot less BS + whole lot more cooperation if you know whereof you speak; work with him. Advice offered here is that you let him charge a fair price - that'll def be below dealer cost.

Above, assume you mean valve cover gasket, what, $35 part? Hey, that's not a terrible job....this Saturday, try this DIY:



Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 06-25-2013 at 04:33 PM.
  #10  
Old 06-25-2013, 04:30 PM
Averdi's Avatar
Averdi Averdi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 272
Mein Auto: BMW 325i 2006
Ugh troubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Many buyers, thinking they're getting a steal of a deal on a fine, preowned BMW, discover they've bought previous owner's problems -and- owner sold 'cause ain't cheap.

You're well advised to invest in tools. DIY is excellent, both educationally and for personal confidence/self reliance. And if you need a mech, there's a lot less BS + whole lot more cooperation if you know whereof you speak; work with him.

Above, assume you mean valve cover gasket, what, $35 part? Hey, that's not a terrible job....try this DIY:


__________________
2006 325i
Red intake scoops, Red taillights, Red calipers, M3 rep wheels, M bumper, 28% tints, 6000k Angels & Fog lights, clear cornered headlights, Black and White emblems, Smoked side markers
  #11  
Old 06-25-2013, 04:36 PM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 9,710
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averdi View Post
Head gasket needs to be replaced. Got it and I know this car is killing me

DIY's abound.....invite some friends over; weekend job. Get a quality torque wrench!

.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 06-25-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-25-2013, 05:01 PM
Averdi's Avatar
Averdi Averdi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 272
Mein Auto: BMW 325i 2006
Ugh troubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
DIY's abound.....invite some friends over; weekend job. Get a quality torque wrench!

.
My question to you , calwaterboy is do you think I have much more maintainer ahead of me with my milage? Do I have a lemon car?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
2006 325i
Red intake scoops, Red taillights, Red calipers, M3 rep wheels, M bumper, 28% tints, 6000k Angels & Fog lights, clear cornered headlights, Black and White emblems, Smoked side markers
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-25-2013, 05:06 PM
aleks001 aleks001 is offline
Aleks
Location: Brisbane, Australia
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 418
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averdi View Post
Is it...that's not a good sign


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
It's very rare, but doesn't mean it can't happen just like any other car. I'd take a guess and say they are probably going to replace your valve cover gasket not your head gasket, these are much more common. I'm at 86K and I'm pretty sure It's still the original factory valve cover gasket. But My oil filter housing has started to leak and I would get another opinion on your problem as this is usually the most common problem and it can make it look like something else. I would suggest you clean all the oil off with a rag and some degreaser spray and then after about a week or two of driving have a look to see where the oil is actually coming from before paying for potentially unnecessary repairs.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-25-2013, 05:19 PM
aleks001 aleks001 is offline
Aleks
Location: Brisbane, Australia
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 418
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averdi View Post
My question to you , calwaterboy is do you think I have much more maintainer ahead of me with my milage? Do I have a lemon car?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I can tell you to expect the following on top of regular maintenance, so you can decide if its worth keeping.

1. Vanos solenoids (Apparently they can just be cleaned, did mine on the weekend, but we will see how that goes)
2. Oxygen sensors
3. Transmission leak from mechatronic sleeve
4. Ignition coils
5. Valve cover gasket
6. Oil filter gasket(s)
7. Water pump
8. Thermostat

These are the things I believe are common to our model. If you think this is too much on top of regular maintenance (bushes, spark plugs, brakes, rotors etc)

Then you best of getting rid of it, because more likely then not you will hit most of those issues not to mention a couple of random ones as you do with most cars.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-25-2013, 05:33 PM
pointandgo's Avatar
pointandgo pointandgo is offline
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: Los Angeles area
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,565
Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
There were issues with the pass. air bag seat detection mat on these cars and a BMW recall resulted. The OP can contact BMW NA to see if his car was involved and remedied. Ref: BMW recall No. 08V-384...sometime in 2009 I believe.

If the OP's car is included, and was not recalled, it may still be repaired at no charge.
__________________
F30 328i
E90 328i
E92 335i 6MT
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-25-2013, 05:54 PM
Averdi's Avatar
Averdi Averdi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 272
Mein Auto: BMW 325i 2006
Ugh troubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleks001 View Post
It's very rare, but doesn't mean it can't happen just like any other car. I'd take a guess and say they are probably going to replace your valve cover gasket not your head gasket, these are much more common. I'm at 86K and I'm pretty sure It's still the original factory valve cover gasket. But My oil filter housing has started to leak and I would get another opinion on your problem as this is usually the most common problem and it can make it look like something else. I would suggest you clean all the oil off with a rag and some degreaser spray and then after about a week or two of driving have a look to see where the oil is actually coming from before paying for potentially unnecessary repairs.
Nothing is really even leaking. Just when I turn my car on. It smokes and smells like burnt rubber. The mechanics said its from the oils leaking


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
2006 325i
Red intake scoops, Red taillights, Red calipers, M3 rep wheels, M bumper, 28% tints, 6000k Angels & Fog lights, clear cornered headlights, Black and White emblems, Smoked side markers
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-25-2013, 06:12 PM
Averdi's Avatar
Averdi Averdi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 272
Mein Auto: BMW 325i 2006
Ugh troubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleks001 View Post
I can tell you to expect the following on top of regular maintenance, so you can decide if its worth keeping.

1. Vanos solenoids (Apparently they can just be cleaned, did mine on the weekend, but we will see how that goes)
2. Oxygen sensors
3. Transmission leak from mechatronic sleeve
4. Ignition coils
5. Valve cover gasket
6. Oil filter gasket(s)
7. Water pump
8. Thermostat

These are the things I believe are common to our model. If you think this is too much on top of regular maintenance (bushes, spark plugs, brakes, rotors etc)

Then you best of getting rid of it, because more likely then not you will hit most of those issues not to mention a couple of random ones as you do with most cars.
I've already fixed 1/2 of them hahahah almost there


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
2006 325i
Red intake scoops, Red taillights, Red calipers, M3 rep wheels, M bumper, 28% tints, 6000k Angels & Fog lights, clear cornered headlights, Black and White emblems, Smoked side markers
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-25-2013, 06:29 PM
aleks001 aleks001 is offline
Aleks
Location: Brisbane, Australia
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 418
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averdi View Post
Nothing is really even leaking. Just when I turn my car on. It smokes and smells like burnt rubber. The mechanics said its from the oils leaking


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Like I said then, best to have a look yourself for the leaks.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-25-2013, 07:52 PM
thekurgan's Avatar
thekurgan thekurgan is offline
Bad Lieutenant
Location: Sacramento, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,534
Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
DIY's abound.....invite some friends over; weekend job. Get a quality torque wrench!

.
I think you hit it correct here with the valve cover gasket, I imagine the round gaskets surrounding the plug wells are leaking oil as well.
__________________
08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/ZHP knob
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-25-2013, 08:02 PM
Averdi's Avatar
Averdi Averdi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 272
Mein Auto: BMW 325i 2006
Ugh troubles

I understand I'm going to have to be paying more because its a bimmer and I'm completely fine with that. I just don't want to be in the shop every month for some new problem you know? It's been a month and 2 major problems happened


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
2006 325i
Red intake scoops, Red taillights, Red calipers, M3 rep wheels, M bumper, 28% tints, 6000k Angels & Fog lights, clear cornered headlights, Black and White emblems, Smoked side markers
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-25-2013, 08:11 PM
thekurgan's Avatar
thekurgan thekurgan is offline
Bad Lieutenant
Location: Sacramento, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,534
Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averdi View Post
I understand I'm going to have to be paying more because its a bimmer and I'm completely fine with that. I just don't want to be in the shop every month for some new problem you know? It's been a month and 2 major problems happened


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
How many miles on the car?

Do you have the past maintenance records?

Results to these questions may lead you to do some preventative maintenance; especially if past maintenance was neglected or taken to the BMW max interval. Do some research on Mike Miller's "Old School Maintenance Schedule" ... following this can extend major incidents and costs like you've experienced.

Also, if you aren't mechanically inclined, you will be paying more for what seem like simple tasks like fluid changes, belt changes, brake work, etc. Even BMW independent shops charge a premium for rates.
__________________
08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/ZHP knob
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-25-2013, 08:13 PM
Averdi's Avatar
Averdi Averdi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 272
Mein Auto: BMW 325i 2006
Ugh troubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
How many miles on the car?

Do you have the past maintenance records?

Results to these questions may lead you to do some preventative maintenance; especially if past maintenance was neglected or taken to the BMW max interval. Do some research on Mike Miller's "Old School Maintenance Schedule" ... following this can extend major incidents and costs like you've experienced.

Also, if you aren't mechanically inclined, you will be paying more for what seem like simple tasks like fluid changes, belt changes, brake work, etc. Even BMW independent shops charge a premium for rates.
87k miles. And yes I have the records from bmw. It was taken care of . But I want to learn to do the easy tasks cause I'm only 18 paying for EVERYTHING


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
2006 325i
Red intake scoops, Red taillights, Red calipers, M3 rep wheels, M bumper, 28% tints, 6000k Angels & Fog lights, clear cornered headlights, Black and White emblems, Smoked side markers
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-25-2013, 09:23 PM
thekurgan's Avatar
thekurgan thekurgan is offline
Bad Lieutenant
Location: Sacramento, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,534
Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Ugh troubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averdi View Post
87k miles. And yes I have the records from bmw. It was taken care of . But I want to learn to do the easy tasks cause I'm only 18 paying for EVERYTHING


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Look into the old school and compare what's been done. Belts are a good start , power steering fluid, brake fluid, tranny fluid etch.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/ZHP knob
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-26-2013, 12:10 PM
Averdi's Avatar
Averdi Averdi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 272
Mein Auto: BMW 325i 2006
Ugh troubles

I think it is just the valve cover gasket. I don't have the confidence to do that. Do you think that the cable covet gasket is just from ware and tare or because the car wasn't treated right?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
2006 325i
Red intake scoops, Red taillights, Red calipers, M3 rep wheels, M bumper, 28% tints, 6000k Angels & Fog lights, clear cornered headlights, Black and White emblems, Smoked side markers
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-26-2013, 12:34 PM
thekurgan's Avatar
thekurgan thekurgan is offline
Bad Lieutenant
Location: Sacramento, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,534
Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averdi View Post
I think it is just the valve cover gasket. I don't have the confidence to do that. Do you think that the cable covet gasket is just from ware and tare or because the car wasn't treated right?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Usually it's age, the material becomes a bit brittle, but I've not seen the material used for the N52 gasket.

Excessive heat can also contribute.

I'm sure DSX has seen/replaced many of them. On the M3s, they are silicone and very durable, I've never had to replace one due to failure, but rather just valve adjustments.
__________________
08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/ZHP knob
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms