Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 06-26-2013, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 740I
Vibration Issues

I drove my wife to an appointment today and everything was fine. When I came out and started the car I had a bad vibration under the car. It seemed to go away and then return while driving. I thought it might be the drive shaft. Is there any one out there that has had similar issues?
Ads by Google
Old 06-26-2013, 04:56 PM
Society of the 7's East

Mein Auto: 2001 740iL
You need to isolate the vibration.

While the vib is happening shift the car into neutral, coast and see if the vib stops. If it does then the vib is engine. If the vib persists then it's a wheel problem related.

You may want to visit a local auto parts chain and have them pull the codes.

Report back, there are too many variables to explain vibs either way.

Last edited by ebida3; 06-26-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:05 PM

Vibration Issues

Thanks. I will review further.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-14-2013, 06:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 735i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmahan View Post
I drove my wife to an appointment today and everything was fine. When I came out and started the car I had a bad vibration under the car. It seemed to go away and then return while driving. I thought it might be the drive shaft. Is there any one out there that has had similar issues?
If the vibration only occurs under acceleration, then check engine mounts, trans mounts and then driveshaft centre bearing. The centre bearing is probably the most common culprit as it is suspended in a rubber 'diaphragm' which perishes and becomes brittle with age, and after hanging on for ages with cracks around 90% of the circumference, will suddenly give up the ghost and separate completely, allowing excessive movement and causing the driveshaft to slap around under acceleration. You will normally feel this as a 'seat of the pants' thumping or vibration.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:04 PM

Thanks for all of the advice. I found that the vibrations occurred when I was at idle and felt as if it got better under driving condition. After a closer look I found that there was a crack in the fan blade. This was nice because of it being the least expensive and the least challenging to repair. I also had a broken motor mount that could have caused the broken blade to begin with.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:40 PM
Society of the 7's East

Mein Auto: 2001 740iL
Sweet!
Glad you found the issues.