Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-27-2013, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 335i
First ever incident/claim !!!

Well, had a minor brush off last evening - this guy in my right lane out of the blue decides to cut into my lane w/o warning/indication, scraping/scuffing my passenger side. (see images attached) It was on a local street, we maybe at 25 mph speed.

This is my first ever claim(State Farm) and I'd want to get my car fixed at a BMW authorized body shop. They say they would send over an adjuster for the estimate. And State Farm says they wouldn't report anything to CarFax, it would be the body shop that might do it. (I have been reading a lot of contradictions on this topic in the forum)

Any ballpark numbers how much it would be to fix it right ? Appreciate the Fest' responses/suggestions in advance !

Also, is there anyway I can take this chance to get a replacement front bumper ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130626_181925_659.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	383838   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130626_181930_875.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	383839   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130627_083436_920.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	383840  
Advertisement
Old 06-27-2013, 08:14 AM
Salz und Pfeffer

Mein Auto: 2014 F22 M235i
Quote:
Originally Posted by manutod View Post
Well, had a minor brush off last evening - this guy in my right lane out of the blue decides to cut into my lane w/o warning/indication, scraping/scuffing my passenger side. (see images attached) It was on a local street, we maybe at 25 mph speed.

This is my first ever claim(State Farm) and I'd want to get my car fixed at a BMW authorized body shop. They say they would send over an adjuster for the estimate. And State Farm says they wouldn't report anything to CarFax, it would be the body shop that might do it. (I have been reading a lot of contradictions on this topic in the forum)

Any ballpark numbers how much it would be to fix it right ? Appreciate the Fest' responses/suggestions in advance !

Also, is there anyway I can take this chance to get a replacement front bumper ?
It's hard to tell if the scratches are deep enouigh to warrant the door and quarter pannel replacement, however as for your front bumper question, was it damaged too? If not, you will have to do it on your own.

Usually what happens, the adjuster comes to estimate the damage, and the insurance company cuts you a check for the damages, or if work is performed in one of the insurance company's "approved" shop the check goes directly to the shop.
I am not sure if it is true for the most states, but you are not required to take your car to the insurance company "approved" shop.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:21 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
A rough rule of thumb is $1000 per panel that needs repair.

Nevertheless, it's important to not accept a check from the adjuster or the insurer. Get the estimate, then tell them where you will be taking the car to be repaired. Have the insurer deal directly with the shop. You will have to pay the deductible, usually when you pick up the car.

If you accept the check, you may not get any extra monies if there is unseen damage.

Also, the person who sideswiped you is at fault, so it is HIS insurance company that should be paying.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:16 AM

Ok. So just spoke to my local dealer and their authorized body shop would be Chantilly Auto.
StateFarm has no qualms about the choice of body shop - they would just cut the check to the body shop directly after work is done.

That said, any experiences with Chantilly Auto Body shop here on the board ? They said they do guarantee the work they do for lifetime/until I am the owner.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: On Order
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post

Nevertheless, it's important to not accept a check from the adjuster or the insurer. Get the estimate, then tell them where you will be taking the car to be repaired. Have the insurer deal directly with the shop. You will have to pay the deductible, usually when you pick up the car.

If you accept the check, you may not get any extra monies if there is unseen damage.

Also, the person who sideswiped you is at fault, so it is HIS insurance company that should be paying.
i dont think he has to pay deductible if he wasnt at fault
Old 06-27-2013, 09:51 AM
2008 335i coupe

Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
Ok. So just spoke to my local dealer and their authorized body shop would be Chantilly Auto.
StateFarm has no qualms about the choice of body shop - they would just cut the check to the body shop directly after work is done.

That said, any experiences with Chantilly Auto Body shop here on the board ? They said they do guarantee the work they do for lifetime/until I am the owner.
off 50 lee jackson highway???

2008 335i coupe sports package 2008 ML350
Old 06-27-2013, 10:10 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
1) Have the body shop look at it BEFORE state farm arrives.
2) Insurance companies tend to report this crap. Travelers reported to Carfax when I used safelite
3) BMW will most likely report it, but ask them anyhow
4) I'd bet money it will be in your carfax, which while it sucks, should be there

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:10 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_335i View Post
Typically that's correct. He will pay it up front and then subrogation will be to get it back. Then again, depending on his insurance policy he might (again highly doubt it)

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote:
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:13 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post

Typically what happens is your insurance companies fronts the money, and they get the money from the other person insurance. This is to help expedite things. Part of your premium to insurance company is to the lawyers who will do this crap on your behalf. On a side note, even though the OP says it's the other guys fault, and even if the other guy admitted fault at the scene (and even to a cop if one is present), he can always change his mind. Happened to me. Person said she was at fault to me, and to the officer (who wrote it down) and to my insurance company. Three weeks later her insurance company tells my insurance company she is changing her position.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-27-2013, 10:22 AM

Thats correct, furby - Subrogation it is, I would pay the deductible upfront when I pick my car up after getting it fixed, then I'd be reimbursed. Atleast this is what I was told by my agent.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harooni View Post
off 50 lee jackson highway???
Yes, Any experiences there ?
Old 06-27-2013, 11:09 AM
Salz und Pfeffer

Mein Auto: 2014 F22 M235i
Quote:
Thats correct, furby - Subrogation it is, I would pay the deductible upfront when I pick my car up after getting it fixed, then I'd be reimbursed. Atleast this is what I was told by my agent.
I had an accident in January, the car was in the repairs for more than a month. My case is still in subrogation. BTW, the Carfax and Autocheck are still clean for my car even though it sustained $16K worth of damages.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
You'll be fine. You have State Farm so you are paying for really good service and coverage. "Like a Good Neighbor...". I was backed into and my car took 4.5 weeks and 12K worth of repairs due to BMW specific repair requirements. You should not be as bad but expect to be without it for a while if they go by BMW repair procedures.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i sedan
...so what did the guy who cut you off say?
Old 06-27-2013, 11:45 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_335i View Post
Yeah, spaced out there.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:34 PM
2008 335i coupe

Quote:
Yes, Any experiences there ?
i live in reston/ herndon border

yeah sister got her lexus fixed there they did pretty good work and have a car rental on site . so its pretty smooth, let them work with your insurance you should be paying 0 deductable as you stayed in your lane and that person merged into you. (i feel your pain btw id feel like dodo if it was mine ,we have the same car and year)

now i wouldn't give it 5 stars but certainly 3 1/2 -4

Last edited by harooni; 06-27-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:33 PM

Nice !
Yes I was told that they have Enterprise on site. Unfortunately I do not have Rental coverage on my ins - but State Farm says under subrogation I should get a rental anyways without an issue.
Lets hope to have a smoother experience with all parties involved
Old 06-27-2013, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i x Coupe M sport
I think there is some misinformation being said... at least in my experience.

I was rear ended a few months ago. Driver behind me was clearly at fault. $1200 for the repair as he screwed up my right side muffler and slightly marked my bumper.

I have State Farm. When I called them, I was told I could "activate my insurance" and pay my deductible only to get it back later, OR I could go through his insurance for the repair.

After a little bit of a delay between his insurance trying to contact him, I decided to go through his insurance company (Progressive). I brought it to a certified BMW auto body, then the Progressive adjuster looked at it. Progressive ended up giving me a check for a little more than what the autobody estimated since he thought they overlooked somethign small. They clearly said if more damage is found (after giving me a check) they would work with the autobody and pay the additional expense.

After removing the bumper it was found they didn't have to replace the bumper cover but I was told if they did find it cracked, Progressive would have paid without issue. I don't believe accepting the check makes a difference to tell you the truth. Other than my time it was painless actually painless and I didn't have to use my insurance.

Not sure if it is different in other states but all the adjusters know the autobodies so it seemed pretty straightforward.

By the way, Progressive even paid for the rental car while my car was being worked on ( 3 days).
Old 07-01-2013, 10:31 AM

Quick Update - The estimate came to around $1300 at the body shop. Both the ins companies concluded their investigation(the other person is at fault) - and I can now go through either of them to get my car fixed.

Also, when I spoke to StateFarm about CarFax and all, they clearly said they wouldn't inform anyone anything and passed the buck to body shop. And now even the body shop say they wouldn't inform CarFax 'cause - First, they don't have the time to do that. Second, CarFax is anyways crap. These were the words quoted by the body shop !

Anyways, the car's being worked on now as we speak - will update y'all how it goes.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:10 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
My car is also being worked on, so I'd like to commiserate with you. I was originally told about 5 days or so, but now it's going to be longer because they found some internal damage to the inside of the cover if I understand, it's getting sent in for remanufacturing or something. The way I found this shop was by calling the best local indy that I know of, and straight up asking for their recommendation. I took a pic of the shop in the back, the manager agreed to take a couple of pics for me during the process, I might even go so far to ask if I can stop by for a visit. One thing I don't like, which I curiously asked about, is how the cars sit in the sun all day, then they drive them back indoors every evening. I'm not saying this is not normal, just don't like it is all, also there are the repeated cold starts the whole week long. My ded was waived by my insurance, which I was quite happy about.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:39 PM
2008 335i coupe

did the other guys insurance pay for your rental? and if so what did you get?

Old 07-01-2013, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: BLT335xi, e92 6MT
Quote:
They should (although you could be really lucky and be presented with a fake insurance card like me and be responsible for the $500 deductible but at least the rental was paid for from my uninsured motorist coverage...)

One of the most uninspiring cars in the universe I was lucky enough to drive for 4 days (I do believe lack of rapping hamsters contributed to lack of driving joy)

BMWCCA #489063

The BLT335xi - '11 BMW 335xi, M-Sport, Convenience, Premium, H/K sound, iDrive

Previous Rides:
'13 Cadillac ATS - Fired
'09 BMW 328xi - KIA by Bambi, reincarnated in Michigan
'11 Ford Fusion SEL
'08 Honda Accord Coupe
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0T
Old 07-02-2013, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i x Coupe M sport
Quote:
In my case the other guys insurance did pay the rental. They had one all setup for me through Enterprise. They would only pay up to $30 a day though.

The rental car was later cancelled when I found out the Autobody had it's own rental cars they provide. So I had a Honda Accord for a few days. His insurance paid the rental car directly and I didn't pay a dime

In hindsight I think it was the best decision to go through his insurance. If the work started and they found more damage and there was any dispute I would just have activated my insurance at that point. I was told I could always fall back on my insurance at any point in the process.