Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:34 PM

Mein Auto: X1 28i
Review of my x28i, 2 months in...

I've had my 2013 X1 28i for about a thousand miles now, so I thought I'd post some of my thoughts.

Things I like:
- The sports seats are awesome. Every time I get in the car, I think "DAMN - this is comfy!" I haven't tried out the regular seats so I can't compare, but I wouldn't want to give up the leg bolstering, adjustable side bolstering and seat tilt control which are part of what you get with the sports seats. I'm very happy with this option. I'll mention that, with all the adjustments, power seats are essential if you've got more than one driver.
- As everyone has said, the engine is awesome. I haven't been able to push it to its limits yet, but I'm amazed at how much torque there is at even really low RPM. Haven't driven the 35i, but the 28i seems to have enough power for me.
- The handling is really great. I'm coming from a Mini, and it *almost* feels like I'm driving a bigger (more powerful, more refined & more comfortable) Mini, and I certainly mean that as a compliment. I really enjoy just taking this car out for a drive with no set destination in mind, and I don't think that's just because I'm still in the honeymoon phase. I haven't pushed it to the limits, but the cornering is fine, especially given the car's height. The suspension could maybe be a touch sportier, but I'm still fine with it as is.
- The rear seats are reasonably comfy.
- iDrive is pretty good for making calls and navigating my music collection.
- I'm VERY happy with my color/interior options. I went with midnight blue, oyster seats, and the matte wood without quite knowing what that would look like, and I really like how it turned out.
- The front/rear PDC and backup camera are all very useful to have.
- Visibility is pretty good all around. I can get a good view of my blind spots. The back window is obviously a little small, but I don't find it to be a problem at all (& as I said I do have the backup camera, which helps).

Things I don't like:
- The non-HK audio is disappointing. To be fair, I'm an audiophile and probably more picky than most, and I wouldn't say it's awful per se, but I'm pretty underwhelmed by the sound quality.
- The tires aren't optimal. While the handling is good, the car is just a touch more jittery on the road than I would like, and I can just tell that I'm really losing something with the all-season runflats rather than performance summer tires.
- The navigation system is a letdown coming from my Garmin. The graphics are nice enough but the UI is so much more of a pain to use. Also, the voice recognition is pretty awful.
- The ergonomics are a touch off. When I've got the steering wheel positioned optimally, it blocks my view of the speedometer. I hope I can get it coded for a digital speedometer.
- Not a big complaint, but I wish I could adjust the depth of the headrest -- it sticks out a little more than I would like.
- I don't like the fact that the headliner is a different color than the seats & pillars. I really wish I could have had an anthracite headliner, but that's not an option here unless you get an M...
- The seats might not go high enough for some. I'm 5'11" and I like the seat at the max height. I find it's ridiculous how low the seats go & can't imagine who would drive in that position.
- Auto start/stop can be annoying, but then again it does save me fuel & I can switch it off as needed...
- Why doesn't the rear windshield wiper clean more of the window? It would be nice if it did a full semi-circle (which it doesn't).

All in, I'm very happy with my X1. It's pretty much exactly what I was looking for in terms of comfort, practicality etc. and I'd say it's been better than I was expecting as far as handling/sportiness.

Last edited by MrT-Man; 06-28-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Advertisement
Old 06-29-2013, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: S-Drive X1
Good comments T-Man.

Playing the devil's advocate and being 6'4", I am grateful the seats go as low as they do. Otherwise I am looking through the top one inch of glass. More than any single feature on this car, the roominess of the interior is what sold me. I drove so many cars before settling on the X-1 it makes my head spin. Even the new E-class Mercedes had insufficient headroom for a 6 footer.

My dislikes with this car are few. I will add to your list keeping in mind that I am not complaining per se. The gongs....hate them and cannot really turn them down very low. However if you've not discovered this, they do time out after a minute and a half which is nice. You can then drive on in peace.

Lack of intermittent wipers is a big oversight. Some of the lowest cars in the food chain have intermittent wipers.

I have the stock stereo and find it to be quite good. I am not sure being an audiophile carries over into the realm of car audio. They have a rather different set of goals. My home stereo, consisting of a horn array and tubed electronics is 3 times the cost of my X1. I have no expectation of recreating that kind of sound in my car. I heard the HK and decided the biggest advantage it had over the BMW Premium audio package was 5.1 decoding. Unless you use that software (and I don't), I found the upgrade only marginally better.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
The vehicle does have intermittent wipers. Please refer to the user's manual.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
+1
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Old 06-29-2013, 06:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 x28i MSport
Yes, look here http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=703239

dd: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i MSport
in garage: 2011 Mazda MX5 Miata 6mt
Wife's car: 2012 X3 35i
retired:
2011 335d
2008 328i 6mt
2005 325i 5mt
Old 06-29-2013, 09:32 PM

There are no intermittent wipers on the X1. Your options are a 2 speed manual or a rain sensor driven wiper. Yes, the thumb wheel throttles the sensitivity of the sensor up or down, but it never allows for a timed intermittent wiper. There-in lies my complaint, Portnoy.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forteatwo View Post
There are no intermittent wipers on the X1. Your options are a 2 speed manual or a rain sensor driven wiper. Yes, the thumb wheel throttles the sensitivity of the sensor up or down, but it never allows for a timed intermittent wiper. There-in lies my complaint, Portnoy.
Rain sensing wipers are preferable to intermittent in most situations. Intermittent are fine if the rain is the same intensity. As it changes you need to change the setting. Rain sensing wipers do this automatically. The logic is not always correct though. Ideally you'd have both intermittent and rain sensing options
Old 06-30-2013, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 x28i MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forteatwo View Post
I acknowledge the literal substance of your complaint if you want to say there are no "user-controlled or fixed interval intermittent wipers on the X1." However, there are "sensor-controlled variable interval wipers" (my description) which serve the same function as, and do it better IMHO than, fixed-interval intermittent wipers.

I think the sensor wipers do an excellent job, and the inclusion of the sensitivity control enables you to tailor it to your taste at least as well as a typical variable intermittent wiper control does on most cars without sensors. Personally, if I had the option of your definition of intermittent wipers on my BMW's in addition to the sensor control, I would never use the intermittent wipers--there would be no reason to.

dd: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i MSport
in garage: 2011 Mazda MX5 Miata 6mt
Wife's car: 2012 X3 35i
retired:
2011 335d
2008 328i 6mt
2005 325i 5mt
Old 07-01-2013, 07:24 PM

Agree with above comments. I probably need to give the sensor driven wipers more time, although we have had a ton rain here and I have used them a fair amount. The rate of activation seems higher than what I might set if there was a conventional intermittent setting.

Some of it may have to do with the fact that I like to use rainX on the windshield and if you have used this you know the rain flies off the windshield at cruising speeds and an infrequent intermittent is all you need.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: 14 X1 x28i MSport, Miata
Heh. I'm 5'8" and I've got the seats as low as they can go. I'm till way higher on the road in the X1 than I am in my Miata. :-)
Old 07-02-2013, 03:57 AM

I'm also very impressed with how the X1 handles. I took it on a hundred mile drive through the twisty and hilly backroads of Connecticut and it just happily handled everything I threw at it and felt completely stable and competent. I feel the same way when I merge onto highways or change lanes to get around someone. It just has this feeling of "This is not a a problem" from anything I ask of it.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:46 PM

Mein Auto: X1
Review of my x28i, 2 months in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supagoat View Post
I'm also very impressed with how the X1 handles. I took it on a hundred mile drive through the twisty and hilly backroads of Connecticut and it just happily handled everything I threw at it and felt completely stable and competent. I feel the same way when I merge onto highways or change lanes to get around someone. It just has this feeling of "This is not a a problem" from anything I ask of it.
+1

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-03-2013, 07:04 PM

Mein Auto: X1 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supagoat View Post
Heh. I'm 5'8" and I've got the seats as low as they can go. I'm till way higher on the road in the X1 than I am in my Miata. :-)
Well I stand corrected, I guess the engineers at BMW are smarter than I am!

I can't imagine driving the car that way, but hey, if it works for you...!
Old 07-03-2013, 08:01 PM

Heheh well mostly it's about getting the angle of my foot to the gas pedal right. When I was higher in the seat I always felt like I had to hold my foot up at an angle to keep it from mashing the gas, which tired my leg out. With the seat low I can keep it at a much more natural angle. I'm also used to a more sports car driving position and though I can appreciate the view from sitting up high, it feels a little weird to me to be that high up.