Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-30-2013, 01:34 PM
boyce 06 330 boyce 06 330 is offline
Registered User
Location: TN
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 91
Mein Auto: '06 330i
Back in the CLUB!

Hi all,
Have had several BMW's in the past, including an '99 330, '01 X5 4.4i, '06 330i (hence my tag), '10 X5d. Just picked up a '11 335i CPO yesterday with 9,500 miles on it. It has the BMW Performance Package including all the black trim (installed prior to the original sale of the vehicle) with premium, sport and tech packages also. I also went ahead and purchased the extended maintenance since they gave me a really good deal on it (a few dollars more than a brake job).

My '06 was pretty bullet proof, with no real issues in about 4 years of ownership (it had 74k on it when I traded it in on the X5d, which was a lemon, but that's another story). Are there any common issues with the '11 model year 335i's that I should be aware of? Being one of the last years of the E90 I suspect most of the bugs have been worked out?

I plan to change the oil every 5k, which is normal for me, change the tranny fluid at 30k/60k/90k (along with rear diff fluid). Anything else I should be thinking about from a maintenance standpoint besides air/cabin filters and such?

Feels good to be back after about a year with no BMW's in the family!

Thanks,
Boyce
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 06-30-2013, 10:19 PM
1zamboni 1zamboni is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Monte Sereno, CA
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 397
Mein Auto: 2009 E82 & 2012 E93
For 5K miles oil change is too soon, I replace mine at 7500 miles.
__________________
13 E93 M3 Melbourne Red
12 E93 Space Gray (Retired BMW buy back)
09 E82 Space Gray/Black int/Steps/Sport/Nav/Premium/Xenon/Phone Int/Hifi/269 wheel
2006 E90 ( Sold )
2001 E46 ( Sold )

My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-01-2013, 06:02 AM
thekurgan's Avatar
thekurgan thekurgan is offline
Bad Lieutenant
Location: Sacramento, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,527
Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Congrats on the car, that's low mileage for an '11 these days. On the diff fluid changes, I believe the rear differential is sealed if I remember correctly.
__________________
08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/ZHP knob
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-01-2013, 06:08 AM
CarlsonTheFlyer's Avatar
CarlsonTheFlyer CarlsonTheFlyer is offline
Paraglide! Walk on air!
Location: Atlanta, GA USA
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,255
Mein Auto: 2010 335i Coupe 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1zamboni View Post
For 5K miles oil change is too soon, I replace mine at 7500 miles.
5k mile oil change intervals are not too soon. The N54 is a high revving, high temp, turbo-charged engine. And if you plan to "enjoy" your car, changing the oil every 5k miles is just right!

Congrats on the car!
__________________
Carlson The Flyer | BMW CCA # 423862
The problem with common sense is that it's not very common.

2010 335i, ZSP, ZPP, M-Sport, Le Mans Blue, 3 pedals of course!
Heated Seats | USB & iPod | Black Dakota Leather
Cobb AP Stage 1 Aggressive + | Cobb FMIC | BMW Performance Exhaust



Previous BMWs:
2001 330i ZSP ZPP 5-speed - sold, but not forgotten.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-01-2013, 10:38 AM
boyce 06 330 boyce 06 330 is offline
Registered User
Location: TN
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 91
Mein Auto: '06 330i
Thanks, I am loving it so far!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-01-2013, 10:39 AM
E92-Lighting's Avatar
E92-Lighting E92-Lighting is offline
info@e92-lighting.com
Location: Walnut CA
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,508
Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
welcome back
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-01-2013, 12:01 PM
Ilovemycar Ilovemycar is offline
wooohooo
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,570
Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyce 06 330 View Post
Hi all,
Have had several BMW's in the past, including an '99 330, '01 X5 4.4i, '06 330i (hence my tag), '10 X5d. Just picked up a '11 335i CPO yesterday with 9,500 miles on it. It has the BMW Performance Package including all the black trim (installed prior to the original sale of the vehicle) with premium, sport and tech packages also. I also went ahead and purchased the extended maintenance since they gave me a really good deal on it (a few dollars more than a brake job).

My '06 was pretty bullet proof, with no real issues in about 4 years of ownership (it had 74k on it when I traded it in on the X5d, which was a lemon, but that's another story). Are there any common issues with the '11 model year 335i's that I should be aware of? Being one of the last years of the E90 I suspect most of the bugs have been worked out?

I plan to change the oil every 5k, which is normal for me, change the tranny fluid at 30k/60k/90k (along with rear diff fluid). Anything else I should be thinking about from a maintenance standpoint besides air/cabin filters and such?

Feels good to be back after about a year with no BMW's in the family!

Thanks,
Boyce
Hi, I think you pretty much got it, you didn't mention brake fluid, but I know you already know about that. Some people might think it's not a bad idea to change coolant at around the 5yr mark, it's otherwise considered lifetime along with some other fluids you mentioned. I don't know if your diff is different, but mine has only one plug, the "fill" plug, it's a 14mm hex I believe. You might want to have a walnut shell blasting eventually, you can run searches for that, coked valves. Plugs are recommended at 45k, but some people do them sooner. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive from Burger, then will pop those in, I will probably do mine closer to every 30k. They had the best price when I looked, and I also opted for their special magnetic plug tool. Other than that, some fresh rubber every once in a while, I can't think of anything else atm.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-01-2013, 03:19 PM
the kidd's Avatar
the kidd the kidd is offline
pay it forward
Location: boston
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 680
Mein Auto: X5 and Subaru Impreza
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlsonTheFlyer View Post
5k mile oil change intervals are not too soon. The N54 is a high revving, high temp, turbo-charged engine. And if you plan to "enjoy" your car, changing the oil every 5k miles is just right!

Congrats on the car!
does he have the N54 or 55? depends on when built. I would say 5k is too frequent. Just another guys .02. Do whatever makes you comfortable. Cars and houses come with good or bad karma, IMO. GL
__________________
2011 X5 SAV titanium silver/black/aluminum
2013 Subaru Impreza graphite gray/black replaced the 335
RIP 335i xdrive DSB/gray
RIP 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
RIP 1986 Honda Accord (involved in three car accident while pahked in the North End)
RIP 2002 Mini Cooper (90th produced)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-01-2013, 04:03 PM
boyce 06 330 boyce 06 330 is offline
Registered User
Location: TN
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 91
Mein Auto: '06 330i
How do I find production date? When I step on it, I hear the turbo(s) spin up on the right side of the engine bay if that helps.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-01-2013, 04:07 PM
thekurgan's Avatar
thekurgan thekurgan is offline
Bad Lieutenant
Location: Sacramento, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,527
Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyce 06 330 View Post
How do I find production date? When I step on it, I hear the turbo(s) spin up on the right side of the engine bay if that helps.
Door jam, lower
__________________
08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/ZHP knob
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-01-2013, 04:14 PM
boyce 06 330 boyce 06 330 is offline
Registered User
Location: TN
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 91
Mein Auto: '06 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Door jam, lower
October 2011
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-01-2013, 04:28 PM
thekurgan's Avatar
thekurgan thekurgan is offline
Bad Lieutenant
Location: Sacramento, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,527
Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyce 06 330 View Post
October 2011
Exhaust is on the right side of these engines. I assume the engine cover says "TwinPower" or something like that, I believe it's the N55.
__________________
08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/ZHP knob
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-01-2013, 05:58 PM
boyce 06 330 boyce 06 330 is offline
Registered User
Location: TN
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 91
Mein Auto: '06 330i
Thanks for the tips, everyone. I'm not worried about the oil breaking down, as it's synthetic, I'm more worried the oil filter can't maintain it's original effectiveness past 5k - 7k miles.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-01-2013, 06:15 PM
boyce 06 330 boyce 06 330 is offline
Registered User
Location: TN
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 91
Mein Auto: '06 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Exhaust is on the right side of these engines. I assume the engine cover says "TwinPower" or something like that, I believe it's the N55.
I think you're right. I'll have to go open the hood to see if it says "Twin Power", but I'm pretty sure it does. Car and Driver say the N55 is every bit as good as the best N54 they tested, with more pull from 100mph and up (reaching 140mph a full second faster).

So far, I'm just in love with the torque... it seems to be there no matter where you are on the tach.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-01-2013, 07:57 PM
boyce 06 330 boyce 06 330 is offline
Registered User
Location: TN
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 91
Mein Auto: '06 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Exhaust is on the right side of these engines. I assume the engine cover says "TwinPower" or something like that, I believe it's the N55.
The engine cover does say "Twin Power Turbo".

Side note: Just went for a drive and decided to top off the fuel tank. Drove 13 miles home from the gas station and got 31.7 mpg (according to the onboard computer) driving hilly terrain at the speed limit (mostly 55 mph)! That is just amazing to me... 324HP and 32 mpg!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-28-2013, 10:00 PM
tturedraider's Avatar
tturedraider tturedraider is offline
Freedom isn't free!!
Location: Chicago, north shore (via Tennessee & Texas)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 14,271
Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyce 06 330 View Post
Thanks for the tips, everyone. I'm not worried about the oil breaking down, as it's synthetic, I'm more worried the oil filter can't maintain it's original effectiveness past 5k - 7k miles.
A good idea to change the filter at 3,750 miles and super easy.
__________________
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

Keep Right, Except to Pass

Than & Then usage - "It was hotter than hades (comparison). Then later on (time) it got cool."

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune - I like it!
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms