Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-01-2013, 01:52 AM
Just Confused...

Mein Auto: 01 530i; 04 S2k; 94 Supra
Highbeam Assist in the US???

Mercedes lists if for the E-class but the BMW write-ups talk about dimming the highbeams. Is it available in the US?

High Beam Assist is a system that spreads the pattern of the high beams moving them out of the line of sight of oncoming drivers. It is hard to describe.

This is a video of the BMW system:

This is the Hella video. They are the MB system and may be the BMW system:
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2013, 04:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
We probably have to wait for the configurator to switch over. The 5 series description for 2014 has the quote below but the BMWNA ordering guide is, as you say, indicating only 5AC Automatic High Beams and not the High Beam Assistant.

"The range of BMW ConnectedDrive driver assistance systems is now also more forward thinking and richer in variety than ever. The introduction of the glare-free High Beam Assistant, plus BMW Night Vision with Dynamic Light Spot and person and animal recognition, enhances safety when driving at night. The new generation of the High Beam Assistant creates optimal visibility at all times without any input required from the driver. The system uses a camera fitted into the rear-view mirror to identify vehicles travelling up to
400 metres (approx. 1***8260;4 mile) in front. Oncoming traffic is picked up when it is still 1,000 metres (just under 3***8260;4 mile) away. With the High Beam Assistant activated, the headlights are partially masked as and when required in order to eliminate the danger of dazzling vehicles as they draw closer."
Old 07-01-2013, 05:27 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Highbeam Assist in the US???

No, it is illegal by Federal Standards and will not come here until the laws change.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 07-01-2013, 07:13 AM
Just Confused...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestHouse View Post
We probably have to wait for the configurator to switch over. The 5 series description for 2014 has the quote below but the BMWNA ordering guide is, as you say, indicating only 5AC Automatic High Beams and not the High Beam Assistant.

"The range of BMW ConnectedDrive driver assistance systems is now also more forward thinking and richer in variety than ever. The introduction of the glare-free High Beam Assistant, plus BMW Night Vision with Dynamic Light Spot and person and animal recognition, enhances safety when driving at night. The new generation of the High Beam Assistant creates optimal visibility at all times without any input required from the driver. The system uses a camera fitted into the rear-view mirror to identify vehicles travelling up to
400 metres (approx. 1***8260;4 mile) in front. Oncoming traffic is picked up when it is still 1,000 metres (just under 3***8260;4 mile) away. With the High Beam Assistant activated, the headlights are partially masked as and when required in order to eliminate the danger of dazzling vehicles as they draw closer."
What was the source of the quote. BMW clearly has the feature outside of the US. But do they have inside the US? The top video is from BMW.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:18 AM
Just Confused...

The MBUSA E-class pages say:

Adaptive Highbeam Assist
Engineered to provide the maximum possible road illumination without creating glare for other drivers, this innovative feature uses continuous input from a camera to automatically vary the range of your high beams, based on the distance both to oncoming vehicles and to those ahead of you. Enhancing your ability to identify changes in the road's path and the presence of pedestrians and hazards earlier, Adaptive Highbeam Assist can help you drive more safely and confidently in the dark.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/legacy...=E&model=E350W

It is included with the light package which like the 2014 5-series has LED lights. I also thought it might be illegal. Of course the salesmen are unaware and none of the cars in stock had the lighting package.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:27 AM
Just Confused...

The BMW USA news page says this about the new 4-series:

LED High Beam Assistant with intelligent control.
The BMW 4 Series Coupe is available with the option of full-LED headlights, which provide a further safety boost when driving at night. The optional High Beam Assistant in conjunction with full-LED headlights ensures that the driver can enjoy optimal visibility at all times without having to switch manually between high and low beam. The High Beam Assistant adapts to the traffic situation by switching to low beam on one or both sides.

http://www.bmwusanews.com/newsreleas...d=1727&mid=381
Old 07-01-2013, 09:30 AM
BMW-addicted

Mein Auto: Not worth mentioning
The ordering guide on the F32 4-Series, however, lists 5AC - Automatic high beams as part of the ZLP Lighting Package.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:35 AM
BMW-addicted

Well, I checked out the German order-guide on the MY14 F10 and based on the content and description of the packages and features, I discovered the following:

The feature the OP posted in the first video is actually part of "552 - Full LED Lights" itself.

The feature "5AC - Automatic High Beams" in Germany is also part of 552.

I assume BMW listed 5AC along 552 to have at least two features in order to advertise an "LED-Package" and to mention the Automatic High Beams.

The good news is that if our cars are equipped with 5AC, this fact alone doesn't mean we won't get the feature displayed in the initial video. In other words, the Automatic High Beams do not cause a conflict with the feature shown in the video. It's just another feature of the entire package.

The fact that Mercedes is offering it, too, certainly makes you wonder if this is indeed illegal. After all, their system looks very similar to the one BMW is using. I thought a legal issue would be if you couldn't turn off the high beams on your own (i.e, if there wouldn't be a separate switch). The BMW, however, has one for the Auto High Beam feature. You can even see it in the video.

After all, it is allowed to have a High Beam Assistant - so what exactly would make this system illegal?

Last edited by 760Lifan; 07-01-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:53 PM
Just Confused...

I think the MB system is probably the same as the BMW system. My guess is Hella has the patents. Note that BMW also has the foot trunk release that first appeared on Fords.

To me, these headlights seem to be a must have. The idea of still having range while facing oncoming traffic would be dramatic on the 2 lane roads around here.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:53 PM
BMW-addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNJ View Post
To me, these headlights seem to be a must have. The idea of still having range while facing oncoming traffic would be dramatic on the 2 lane roads around here.
I totally agree. And if MB is able to offer it, BMW shouldn't have a legal issue, either.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:39 PM
Just Confused...

Got a call from BMW today and found stuff on the 7-series forum.

First, it is not in the US headlight package.

Second, the hardware is in the US headlight package, at least on the 2013 7-series. There one owner was able to enable it with coding. However, he does report it is a little jittery on the highway. He promises a video soon.

Does coding void the warranty?