Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-02-2013, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 528xi
Weird Auto Climate Control Problem?

I just traded in my 2003 525 for a 2007 335. I searched the forum, but couldnt find anything that quite mimics what my car is doing. When I select the "auto" function on the climate control, the air initially comes out of the front vents, but after a period of time it will switch and start blowing out of the defrost vents at the windshield, causing a "whooshing" noise in the process. It tends to fluctuate between the front and defrost vents after that. If I manually select the front vents, it works just fine. Im not sure if this is normal behavior for the 3 series or not, I do know my 5 didnt work this way at all.
Ads by Google
Old 07-02-2013, 10:01 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
No, this is not normal. The only time the air should flow from the defrost vents is when you have it set to defrost (other than a very minor flow used to keep any misting down).
Old 07-02-2013, 10:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Do you have iDrive? Maybe there is an auto program defined. Go to climate control and check for automatic programs.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:05 AM

No I dont have iDrive. I dont know if there could be something going on with a diverter valve maybe?
Old 07-02-2013, 11:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BLT335xi, e92 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUTJH View Post
I just traded in my 2003 525 for a 2007 335. I searched the forum, but couldnt find anything that quite mimics what my car is doing. When I select the "auto" function on the climate control, the air initially comes out of the front vents, but after a period of time it will switch and start blowing out of the defrost vents at the windshield, causing a "whooshing" noise in the process. It tends to fluctuate between the front and defrost vents after that. If I manually select the front vents, it works just fine. Im not sure if this is normal behavior for the 3 series or not, I do know my 5 didnt work this way at all.
Does it continue to switch with the same "whoosh" type noise between front and defrost vents? I've seen where my air will come on, do something similar, then switch to the front vents with a small volume going through the defrost like DSX refers to.
BMWCCA #489063

The BLT335xi - '11 BMW 335xi, M-Sport, Convenience, Premium, H/K sound, iDrive

Previous Rides:
'13 Cadillac ATS - Fired
'09 BMW 328xi - KIA by Bambi, reincarnated in Michigan
'11 Ford Fusion SEL
'08 Honda Accord Coupe
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0T
Old 07-02-2013, 11:41 AM

It tends to switch back and forth some, but it tends to stay up at the defrost vents more than it does the front vents.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Non compos Mentos

The 'default' position for all climate control is this (in other words, complete system failure reverts to...): Full hot, full blower, full defrost. Why? Because the people who make cars are concerned about saving your life in the middle of an ice storm, not keeping you comfortable in the Summer. So what's happening to you? Something is failing and the plenum control is trying to divert air to the windshield. Since you don't mention the blower or temperature varying the problem has to be confined to the door control (you have little plastic doors which open and close to send air where needed). The problem could be in the control stepper motor, or in the control head itself. Used to be the doors were vacuum controlled and loss of vacuum would cause reversion to Defrost. Now they're motor controlled.
Your job is to find out which component is failing. Up to it?
Old 07-02-2013, 12:32 PM

Temperature doesnt seem to change, although this morning on the way into work with the temp set at 72 and auto selected it was blowing very warm air from the defrost vents. Blower speed seems consistent, at least it doesnt go faster and slower. Air flow is fine. I assume thats a major disassembly of the dash to get to said motors?
Old 07-03-2013, 08:44 AM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUTJH View Post
Temperature doesnt seem to change, although this morning on the way into work with the temp set at 72 and auto selected it was blowing very warm air from the defrost vents. Blower speed seems consistent, at least it doesnt go faster and slower. Air flow is fine. I assume thats a major disassembly of the dash to get to said motors?
Yes.

But long before you do that you need to find someone with a scanner with HVAC capabilities. First you check for HVAC specific codes that might help (they do NOT set a check engine light). Then you check the input/output states of the various devices. You take this information, along with what is actually happening (compared to what the control head wants to happen) and then deduce where the fault may lie.
Not too hard, but then neither is brain surgery if you've been doing it a while.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:09 AM

I spoke with my indy yesterday, whom I respect and trust to the end of the earth and back, and he suggested gently blowing some compressed air into the intake vent below the controls, sometimes the little fan inside gets gunked up with lint, dirt, and other crap and causes the computer to kind of go off and do its own thing with the vents, so I will give that a try. This previous owner of this car apparently smoked about 10 packs a day based on the smoke smell I have been trying to get rid of, so its not too hard to think that all the smoke and tar that coats everything got in there to gum up the fan.