Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-02-2013, 09:07 AM
BEKIMX

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328i
Angry Driver's side window buttons not working

Hi all,

Yesterday, after a major downpour, I went into my car and tried to roll down the windows. Well, nothing worked, and I noticed a tiny bit of smoke and burning smell coming from the panel on the drivers side door where the switches are located. I automatically thought one of the wires in there got fried, due to who knows what. Anyhow, all the other window switches (passenger side, rear pax and driver side) work. Also, on that same panel where the window switches for all windows are located, there is the automatic mirror switch, which works fine. The windows also roll down with the auto lock/unlock feature on my car, so I know it is not the window motor. I took a quick look at the fuses and had a hard time figuring out which one powered the actual switchboard for the drivers side window, but they all looked OK. I've contacted my BMW "stealer" however they cannot see me until next week, which is a bit frustrating.

Has anyone had a similar problem, do you have any sugguestions, is it something that can eventually dry out (if in fact water got in there) and work again?

I'm trying to avoid going to the BMW stealer because I know they will probably suggest something outrageous, I wouldnt be surprised if they tell me I need a new door!!

Any help is much appreciated, thank you!
Ads by Google
Old 07-14-2013, 04:10 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: 87 saab spg
BMW Window Switch

Sounds like you fried the window switch itself. Before going to the dealer I would check here first http://www.switchdoctor.net/bmw-window-switch.html
Old 07-15-2013, 12:23 PM
BEKIMX

thank you switch doctor! and thanks for the helpful web site. Unfortunately though, the switch is not the problem. I purchased a brand new driver's side master-switch, tried that and nothing. I'm thinking it's either the wiring in the door panel OR the distribution box located near the fuses. The weird thing is the switch is getting lights and the mirror control works, just not the windows!
Old 07-15-2013, 12:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Have you check the window regulator?

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 07-15-2013, 12:55 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
If it is the button, it's not a major deal to pop the door panal and replace it, I had to replace a rear switch due to rattling; it's just a matter of being careful and ordering some new door clips. If you have water in the door, the vapor guard may be leaking, it should protect those components. Not too difficult to replace, you just need some butyl rubber as the bonding agent for the guard.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:08 PM
BEKIMX

BMW Window Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
Have you check the window regulator?
The regulator is fine - Window goes up and down with the lock/unlock function on the keys...just the switch on the door panel seems to be dead
Old 07-25-2013, 03:41 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: 87 saab spg
Make sure the pins on the connector all have good contact. Just the slightest loosening could cause it not to function. So make sure there nice and tight.

Last edited by Switch Doctor; 07-25-2013 at 04:10 PM.