Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-02-2013, 12:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i
2007 E90 Overheating. Fan or pump?

Couple weeks ago, driving up a long uphill in about 105 degree temps, suddenly I got the yellow overheat icon, and immediately the red, with the cut in power. Pulled over, let it cool down, and went on my way. Figured it was just the long hill and high temps.

Last weekend, same thing, but on a fairly flat stretch of road. Highway speeds, suddenly the yellow, then red icon, then power down (engine at idle speed, but would not accelerate).

Both times I was able to get over immediately. The coolent resovoir cap popped on the first time, but not since.

Last time I had a generic OBDII reader with me, so I plugged it in and let it run so I could see watch the engine temps. Running between 180 to 205, with the peak hitting 220 momentarily.

Ordered up a water pump and thermostat last night.

Figured as long as I watched the temps, I'd be okay.

Driving today, on a cool morning, all seemed as last time. 180 to 200 temps. Then, watching the gauge, it suddenly started to sky rocket. Went from 180 to 220 in the span of 10 to 15 seconds. I immediately started trying to get over. In the 20 or so seconds it took me to get to the shoulder, it hit 245 with yellow warning light before it started to come down. With traffic and being on the shoulder, I did not get to see or hear if the fan was running.

Restarted the engine, and watched temps come down. Once they were down to 180, I limped the last mile to work, carefully watching the engine temps.

When I hit the garage at work, the temp started climbing to 205 again. I pulled into my space, and noticed I didn't hear the fan on. Popped the hood. As the temp went to 220, still no fan. Turned car off, and restarted. The fan came on and was quickly up to high speed and cooling the car down.

Is this a stat / pump issue, or a fan issue? I don't know the sequence of operation for the fan, but seems to me when the car is at 220 and temps are climbing, the fan should be on.

AC was on during these episodes.

Tried heater on the way in. Blasted at full, and heater is pumping out hot on demand.

I don't want to go replacing the stat and pump, only to find out it is the fan. Things are a little tight at the moment.

Does anyone have an idea here, and any DIY on how to troubleshoot this?

Car will be towed home tonight. Inspecting it last night I saw no signs of any head gasket or warped head issues (no bolt heads popped that I could see, coolant looked clear, oil looked normal, no smoke). Car runs normally, but hot. Hopefully I dodged that bullet.

Last edited by daverp; 07-02-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2013, 01:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Get a BMW specific scan tool. That will tell you if your coolant temp sensor is bad. You might also have a shadow fault indicating a deviated flow rate for the water pump, which means it's on its way out.

With these electric pumps on these newer cars, failure is immediate with little warning. A decent indication of a failing water pump is that your fan will kick on high on start up and remain on high throughout the drive, as well as after shutting the car off. It will sound like the fan is screaming.

The tstat is designed to fail open so an overheat condition is minimized.

I doubt it's your fan since it does kick on. I think it's a temp sensor.

I suggest you get this figured out ASAP and stop trying to drive your car. You will blow your head gasket.

Last edited by fdriller9; 07-02-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
Get a BMW specific scan tool. That will tell you if your coolant temp sensor is bad. You might also have a shadow fault indicating a deviated flow rate for the water pump, which means it's on its way out.

With these electric pumps on these newer cars, failure is immediate with little warning. A decent indication of a failing water pump is that your fan will kick on high on start up and remain on high throughout the drive, as well as after shutting the car off. It will sound like the fan is screaming.

The tstat is designed to fail open so an overheat condition is minimized.

I doubt it's your fan since it does kick on. I think it's a temp sensor.

I suggest you get this figured out ASAP and stop trying to drive your car. You will blow your head gasket.
Car is parked but to pull it out of the parking garage tonight so the tow truck can get to it.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by daverp View Post
Car is parked but to pull it out of the parking garage tonight so the tow truck can get to it.
Yea that's fine. Running the engine for a couple minutes is ok. But repeatedly overheating your engine will lead to more damage.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
my usual repair process is to start with the least expensive part and work toward the most expensive parts if you are replacing with out knowing exactly what is bad
Old 07-02-2013, 05:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Convertible
Your car is able to drive for a bit and maintain temperature, then the temperature skyrockets. That makes me think that you have an intermittent water pump failure. It's possibly the relay on the pump.

Look up the procedure for bleeding the cooling system. It lets you activate the water pump while the car is off. That will let you test the pump. If you hear this at any point, the pump is toast.

Frederic