Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 07-02-2013, 02:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 335 / 2014 X-3
X3 Order question

I have decided to sell my 2011 335d and replace it with a 2014 X3.
This will be my first X3 and first SAV.
This is the final order that I will place soon.

X3 335i
Driver Assist
Driver Assist Plus
Dynamic Handling
Premium Pkg.
Technology Pkg.
Heated Ft. Seats
Top View Camera
Roof Rails Aluminum Satin
Rear Side Shades

Did I do it right?

Did not get the Sport Pkg. and am still agonizing over that. 3 grand for paddle shifters, bigger wheels and a sport seat? Maybe.

Comments before final trigger pull are appreciated.

2008 E-93 335i Convertible (ED) (Keeper)

2014 X-3 35i (PCD)
Ads by Google
Old 07-02-2013, 04:04 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 28i
It's all up to your taste. It's never enough! What you have in the list is already good and like you pointed out, it's 3 grand for the other!
Old 07-02-2013, 06:13 PM
On our 2nd Alpine X

Mein Auto: 06 X3/2010 MCSC
We got ours last Thurs. Thought about the M but passed. No regrets. I do not miss it. The factory seats are real nice.
The M would not make our X any more enjoyable. You'll be fine.
I do like having a heated steering wheel. You have a great build. Color combo?
GONE>>>Sold. One of the best rides I ever owned. My 1st BMW-2006 X3 3.0 White w/blk. Prem/Nav/Sirius/Servo/Heated seats,steering/Park Dist./Xenon/Privacy.I got the auto. trans. so my wife can drive it.
Our 2nd Bimmer2014 X3 i35 Alpine/Chestnut. Nav,Prem,Tech,Cold Weather, Shades. Got the Automatic cause we had no choice
My 1st Mini-2010 PW, I got the 6 speed so my wife can't drive it. Laurel Edition Convert

Last edited by WHITEX; 07-02-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3
Another vote for the heated steering wheel. I think you have to give up Driver's Assistance Plus if you choose this.

The sport seats were a must for me. Love the M-sport steering wheel too. I'd suggest test driving both.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 28i
X3 Order question

I am 6'3" and I feel that the non-M seats are very uncomfortable, especially for thigh support. I would definitely consider getting the M, just for the sport seats, if not for anything else.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-03-2013, 05:51 AM
BMWX3

Mein Auto: X3
I hated the sport seats. I'm skinny but have back problems and those side bolsters in the sport seats were killing me. I can't imagine how larger people like being squished into a seat on both sides for long periods of time while driving, even if they don't have back problems.

I also hated the larger M steering wheel. I can understand getting that on a little sports car where you might be really pushing the car on a winding road, but that seems a bit much with an SUV with its higher center of gravity.

I guess if you don't have the luxury of being able to buy a sports car and want a faux sports car/SUV, by all means go for it, but it seems silly to me. You might as well paint racing stripes on your X3 so you feel like you're really in a sports car while you're at it.

Yeah the X3 is fast and yeah, it handles great for an SUV, but if you really want a sports car, get one, not a pale imitation of one.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:15 AM

In the end, each and every one of us will have likes and dislikes and based on different reasoning too. That's the problem with choices! We can only offer our opinion and Stevarino will have to decide. I have a hunch Stevarino will take the Sport's pkg...right Stevarino???
Old 07-03-2013, 07:03 AM
On our 2nd Alpine X

Mein Auto: 06 X3/2010 MCSC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rao112 View Post
I am 6'3" and I feel that the non-M seats are very uncomfortable, especially for thigh support.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRZ View Post
I hated the sport seats.
Stevarino.....Both seats are quality plus. Don't let anyone influence you negatively. You will enjoy both. No wrong decisions on your end with the M. If can afford it and want it...do so. If you pass it does not reduce the quality, performance or fun value of your new X. The stock seats are quite fine.
Hey...the stock sound system is real good also. I thought I might be missing something but I'm not.
Should you get the M maybe drop the DH? Juggle the expenses somewhat.
GONE>>>Sold. One of the best rides I ever owned. My 1st BMW-2006 X3 3.0 White w/blk. Prem/Nav/Sirius/Servo/Heated seats,steering/Park Dist./Xenon/Privacy.I got the auto. trans. so my wife can drive it.
Our 2nd Bimmer2014 X3 i35 Alpine/Chestnut. Nav,Prem,Tech,Cold Weather, Shades. Got the Automatic cause we had no choice
My 1st Mini-2010 PW, I got the 6 speed so my wife can't drive it. Laurel Edition Convert

Last edited by WHITEX; 07-03-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:02 AM

I like the skirts and rear bumper a lot from the M pack
Old 07-03-2013, 08:09 AM

X3 Order question

Deep sea blue met. Is the color. Have the heated steering wheel on my 335d and really liked it when I remember to use it.

The reason I want the dynamic handling is because the roads seem to be getting worse every year and the dynamic shocks might help.

Have pretty much decided against the sport package. Bigger wheels mean less sidewall and I need sidewall for the rough roads.

2014 X-3 35i (PCD)
Old 07-03-2013, 09:35 PM

Options on my new X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevarino View Post
I have decided to sell my 2011 335d and replace it with a 2014 X3.
This will be my first X3 and first SAV.
This is the final order that I will place soon.

X3 335i
Driver Assist
Driver Assist Plus
Dynamic Handling
Premium Pkg.
Technology Pkg.
Heated Ft. Seats
Top View Camera
Roof Rails Aluminum Satin
Rear Side Shades

Did I do it right?

Did not get the Sport Pkg. and am still agonizing over that. 3 grand for paddle shifters, bigger wheels and a sport seat? Maybe.

Comments before final trigger pull are appreciated.
I just took delivery of my X3 28i with the M Sport Package, mainly because of the seats, the lack of black plastic around the wheel wells and the transmission/ride setup options. I wanted the Tech package for Nav, but an astute dealer reconstructed the Nav & backup features from individual options rather than the Tech package which has the heads ups display that I was not interested in anyway. This saved $1K, and took some of the burn off the M-Sport package. Something to consider.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:59 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328 F25 X35, W209 AMG
take the M-package and keep the technology package it comes with the cool instrument cluster with the extended display
Old 07-04-2013, 09:39 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 35i
For me the M Sport sets the X3 apart from all the other SAV's with two tone plastic
like the Mazda and Honda.

The seats are fantastic, (the wings are adjustable) and I'm 6'2" 230lbs.

The 19" wheels are extra sharp, I love the larger steering wheel, and the headliner is way cool.

I've had mine a month and I would have had buyers remorse if I had not ordered M-Sport.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:47 PM

In my opinion, unless you do a lot of parallel parking, I do not see the need for the top view camera. Driver assist, driver assist plus and dynamic handling go not seem to be worth the money unless you are unsure of your driving ability.
I have the 35i and it handles like a dream without DH.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:10 AM

X3 Order question

I want the dynamic handling and Dynamic Damper control so I can drive on roads that are in disrepair.

"Unsure of my driving ability"? When I went to the BMW driving school in Spartanburg I came in 4th out of a class of 20 in the little "race" they have at the end. I felt bad until I found out the guys that were one, two, and three were professional drivers sent there by their company.

I might cancel the top view camera but it is only $320. Might come in handy.

2014 X-3 35i (PCD)
Old 07-05-2013, 10:01 AM
just some random guy

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 35i
X3 Order question

I love the top view. It's great for street parking and garage parking. It helps ensure I don't ding the car or get curb rash. $320 was a small price to pay.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:52 AM

Rough roads make a case for the 18 inch wheels but in MHO dynamic handling @ $1600
seems excessive since the x3 handles like a dream without it. (if it smooths out the roughness of the roads, get it.)

In the end, as indicated, these are personal decisions, but you asked so I responded.

(Happy to hear you are an ace driver! Since you went to the driving school and I assume, drove a X3 with and without DH, you will an idea of the value of DH.

When I was considering it, I wondered how often I would be driving at speeds that would take advantage of it.

My client advisor indicated he had had mixed feedback from customers and actually advised against purchasing.

In the end the X3 has exceeded expectations and I am very happy I purchased the 35i
which adds some perks as standard equipment. Xenon, moon roof, etc.

Whatever you decide, I think you will be thrilled with the X3!
Old 07-05-2013, 01:56 PM

X3 Order question

When I went to the BMW driving school I paid money to go and it had nothing to do with a car delivery so I did not drive an X3 either with or without the dampers. They gave us 335s

I am just saying that the reason I want the fancy shocks has more to do with driving on bombed out roads that have serious chuckholes and has nothing to do with my ability to see the line for the "late apex".

2014 X-3 35i (PCD)
Old 07-05-2013, 02:21 PM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
M-sport makes the car - would never buy an X3 without it - it fixes everything that is wrong with how the X3 looks, eliminates the cheap plastic trim around the fenders and bumpers, front and rear looks way better as does the shadow line trim. Wheel design is better looking and the sport steering wheel and seats are awesome as is the black headliner and carbon black is a great color that you can't have without m-sport.

Obviously all my opinion, but I think m-sport makes the car!
Old 07-05-2013, 02:31 PM

I purchased the DHP for the smoother ride it offers in Comfort mode. I am very happy with it.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
M-sport makes the car - would never buy an X3 without it - it fixes everything that is wrong with how the X3 looks, eliminates the cheap plastic trim around the fenders and bumpers, front and rear looks way better as does the shadow line trim. Wheel design is better looking and the sport steering wheel and seats are awesome as is the black headliner and carbon black is a great color that you can't have without m-sport.

Obviously all my opinion, but I think m-sport makes the car!
In my case, how the car looks is secondary. The tech. package and hardware has to be correct.

2014 X-3 35i (PCD)
Old 07-05-2013, 04:07 PM
BMWX3

Mein Auto: X3
Yep, DHP makes the car. When I was looking at X3s, the dealer salesman said that fewer than 1% of X3 buyers buy DHP and frankly, no-one on the salesforce truly understood exactly what DHP was (BMW's descriptions are pretty cryptic).

After finally finding one with DHP so that I could test drive it, I can say that DHP is awesome! Being able to have sport steering, as well as on-demand dampening/firming up the suspension based on road conditions is phenomenal!! I guess 99% of X3 owners have no idea what they're missing.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:10 AM

A Vote for Top View

I think the Top View is good to have and way cool. In a garage or parallel parking its handy. I think my youngest daughter will appreciate the help, and I'll feel better letting her take it out.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:20 AM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
I like the top view, we had it on our X5, but my wife said she never used it and didn't want it on the X3, it was part of tech on the X5 but 350 extra on the X3, so we didn't bother.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:47 PM

In Europe part of the Innovation Pack. (also including the HUD)
I ordered it, had it in the X3 I had for a day.