Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
2007 335i - more issues

I have just under 80K on my 2007 335i - it's been dealer serviced other than Koni FSD's installed by an indy.

Fortunately I have an extended warranty which is now looking like it could pay out 25% of the original cost of the vehicle (Euro delivery pricing, that is) after all is said and done.

Latest is I took it in for spurious CEL/Limp conditions and the dealer found leaks in both differential seals and a leak at the oil pan. CEL may be vanos solenoids or cam ledge bearing (already had this work done at 18K miles). In total looking at $5K in repairs (dealer pricing, of course).

Previous warranty work has paid for the warranty two times over . . .

The car has not been tracked nor does it have any aftermarket tuning.

Does it ever end? I don't plan on keeping the car much longer but am now thinking "not another BMW". I drive too many miles to lease, and other than an extended warranty (dealer visits are still a hassle - having to drive the loaner on my 4th of July vacation), I can't imagine keeping one of these out of warranty.

Now I know service at an independent would be cheaper, and my guess is my SA knows this warranty is good and is looking to make a buck fixing anything and everything they can on the car (fine with me since warranty should cover it all). Some of these things might be OK to live with for a while if I had to absorb the costs out of pocket.

But still, are this many problems unusual at this mileage or the norm?
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2013, 03:08 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
The diff seals are pretty normal on any car. I had them replaced at much earlier mileage on my E46M3 and E86M. The oil pan leak is unusual. 80k, have you replaced the coolant pump/thermostat yet? Have you had the obligatory walnut shell blasting done? I've heard about the ledge bearing, but if you had it done, there must be something else causing the undue wear. Maybe an independent who knows the N54 is your best bet to answer your question about keeping it.

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust
Old 07-02-2013, 03:18 PM
Squeal like a BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
The diff seals are pretty normal on any car. I had them replaced at much earlier mileage on my E46M3 and E86M. The oil pan leak is unusual. 80k, have you replaced the coolant pump/thermostat yet? Have you had the obligatory walnut shell blasting done? I've heard about the ledge bearing, but if you had it done, there must be something else causing the undue wear. Maybe an independent who knows the N54 is your best bet to answer your question about keeping it.
Dealer replaced water pump and thermostat and walnut shell blast was done at the same time (December 2012). Yes, will be interesting to hear what happens - claims adjuster will hopefully be there tomorrow.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:22 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc_22 View Post

Unusual. I've rarely read of expenses at this level on an E9x.

You say you drive too many miles to lease, but 80k miles in six years is only 13,300 miles per year.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 07-02-2013, 03:41 PM
Squeal like a BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Unusual. I've rarely read of expenses at this level on an E9x.

You say you drive too many miles to lease, but 80k miles in six years is only 13,300 miles per year.
I was driving 10K miles a year for the first few years and that's gone up significantly so it's back-loaded, and I prefer the economies of keeping a car 6-7 years anyway. Grrr . . . but the E90 is such a nice drive . . .

Frankly the $3K extended warranty I bought really makes it worth keeping the car this long other than the hassles of dealer visits, etc. I do have the F30 sport as a loaner but not sure I *love* that car enough to buy or lease one with this reliability experience under my belt.

Lotsa thinking/test driving to do in the coming months.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:43 PM
2008 335i coupe

Mein Auto: 335i
geez everyday i read topics here , the more im scared to death having my first bmw out of warranty

2008 335i coupe sports package 2008 ML350
Old 07-02-2013, 03:53 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harooni View Post
geez everyday i read topics here , the more im scared to death having my first bmw out of warranty

People don't post on internet car forums about how little trouble their cars are giving them.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 07-02-2013, 03:55 PM
2008 335i coupe

Quote:
People don't post on internet car forums about how little trouble their cars are giving them.
yes but when you go to other car forums you dont see so many engine and serious problems with the cars having 60k miles or less like here. its scary.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:57 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
yes but when you go to other car forums you dont see so many engine and serious problems with the cars having 60k miles or less like here. its scary.
Performance car forums???

Old 07-02-2013, 04:28 PM
Aleks

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
Quote:
My 325i isn't really a super performance car yet I can't be bothered even listing again how many things I've changed. I wouldn't dare own a 335 out of warranty.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:34 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleks001 View Post
My 325i isn't really a super performance car yet I can't be bothered even listing again how many things I've changed. I wouldn't dare own a 335 out of warranty.
All BMWs are performance-oriented, suspension tuning, lightweight components, even down to the very efficient valvetrain, they are deemed "high performance". You can't think performance is all about horsepower, the entire package of the BMW is geared towards performance driving, and owners that demand extra from the vehicle. With this demand, comes the fact that the light that burns twice as bright burns half as long.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:47 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
All BMWs are performance-oriented, suspension tuning, lightweight components, even down to the very efficient valvetrain, they are deemed "high performance". You can't think performance is all about horsepower, the entire package of the BMW is geared towards performance driving, and owners that demand extra from the vehicle. With this demand, comes the fact that the light that burns twice as bright burns half as long.
Don't start clouding the issue with the facts. We all know Toyotas and Hondas have just as much precision, performance engineering in them as BMWs. They just sell at much more reasonable prices and BMW charges exorbitant prices purely because they're a bunch of greedy SOBs.

Last edited by tturedraider; 07-02-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:58 PM
2008 335i coupe

Quote:
i wouldnt call a basic bmw a performance car, lol but sure similar benz ,lexus acura audi forums iv been on and nothing like i see here in terms of major issues as i said with avg mileage for the year. of course there is issues with every brand ,no one is perfect.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:01 PM
Aleks

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
Are you saying that performance cars are naturally less reliable ? Because if I re-call those honda type R's, supra's, nissan skylines were pretty reliable.

I also haven't heard to many problems with the Lexus IS-F's.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:02 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Don't start clouding the issue with the facts. We all know Toyotas and Hondas have just as much precision, performance engineering in them as BMWs. They just sell at much more reasonable prices and BMW charges exorbitant prices purely because they're a bunch of greedy SOBs.
What was your decision making when you purchased the BMW over the others?

Old 07-02-2013, 10:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
I've owned a Honda Accord, 4 Nissans (currently an Altima SEr), a 1998 used Mercedes Benz, Chevy c1500 truck, Toyota Camry, Ford Fusion, Ford Escape, Ultra brand custom made 454 Magnum engine ski boat (FAST and FURIOUS!!!), and now my BMW 335i. Thank God I've learned how to fix some **** myself!!! Worst repair rankings for me...2005 Nissan Altima SEr (about $3500 out of my pocket not counting extended warranty stuff..approx $3000), Chevy C1500 ($6000k and fixing most myself!), Mercedes Benz ($2000K for new engine after a blown head gasket, not to mention about 1K a year in maintenance and repairs!!!), Honda Accord (under warranty expensive electrical problems), Toyota Camry (new transmission $$$), Ford Fusion (expensive suspension stuff covered by company lease), ski boat ($1800.00 in 4 years before I sold it not counting State Tax and other stupid costs for having a damn boat in California!!!), BMW 335i (43K miles so far...new coils, new plugs (probably didn't need them), oil housing gasket, turbo wastegate actuators, rear brake squeak issues...all under warranty), Ford Escape (No issues...Fords were both company cars).

I bought my BMW because it drives better than any of the cars I have owned and with a JB4, it is plenty fast enough for me to pull away and surprise some teenagers and American Muscle car guys. Yes, I am afraid to own it after 100K miles as well but I love driving the damn thing and love the way it looks. German engineering intrigues me and pisses me off at the same time. That said, any car can be expensive but you don't see as many older Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans , Hyundai, being rejuvenated and kept up like Mercedes and BMWs. They will all need to be fixed and I've paid just as much for my stupid American and Japanese dependable cars after 36K miles as I could be paying for my CPO BMW up to 100k miles. I definitely won't be able to afford a major repair after CPO warranty but do put away $$ for the medium ones. I'm 47 years old (was 27 last year) and still broke for the most part due to kids but love driving my BMW every day. Maybe I'll get over it next year and get a Kia Optima 4 cyl (It looks like it gets you chicks on the commercials). Any takers?

Last edited by sptt144; 07-02-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 530i
Quote:
Are you saying that performance cars are naturally less reliable ? Because if I re-call those honda type R's, supra's, nissan skylines were pretty reliable.

That's because Japanese cars last forever.
2003 BMW 530i|Alpine White III/SandBeige|5-Speed|148,000 miles|17" BBS RK, 8.5" Front, 10" Rear|Eibach Front and Rear AntiRoll Kit|Solowerks S1 Coilovers|"Muffler Delete" Mod|ZHP Shift Knob|Mtech Front Bumper with T-bar Grille|M Sport Steering Wheel Swap|Auxiliary Input Mod

Do you live in or near Jacksonville, FL? Interested in hooking up with fellow BMW owners? Check out JaxBimmers!
Old 07-03-2013, 10:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by sptt144 View Post
I've owned a Honda Accord, 4 Nissans (currently an Altima SEr), a 1998 used Mercedes Benz, Chevy c1500 truck, Toyota Camry, Ford Fusion, Ford Escape, Ultra brand custom made 454 Magnum engine ski boat (FAST and FURIOUS!!!), and now my BMW 335i. Thank God I've learned how to fix some **** myself!!! Worst repair rankings for me...2005 Nissan Altima SEr (about $3500 out of my pocket not counting extended warranty stuff..approx $3000), Chevy C1500 ($6000k and fixing most myself!), Mercedes Benz ($2000K for new engine after a blown head gasket, not to mention about 1K a year in maintenance and repairs!!!), Honda Accord (under warranty expensive electrical problems), Toyota Camry (new transmission $$$), Ford Fusion (expensive suspension stuff covered by company lease), ski boat ($1800.00 in 4 years before I sold it not counting State Tax and other stupid costs for having a damn boat in California!!!), BMW 335i (43K miles so far...new coils, new plugs (probably didn't need them), oil housing gasket, turbo wastegate actuators, rear brake squeak issues...all under warranty), Ford Escape (No issues...Fords were both company cars).

I bought my BMW because it drives better than any of the cars I have owned and with a JB4, it is plenty fast enough for me to pull away and surprise some teenagers and American Muscle car guys. Yes, I am afraid to own it after 100K miles as well but I love driving the damn thing and love the way it looks. German engineering intrigues me and pisses me off at the same time. That said, any car can be expensive but you don't see as many older Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans , Hyundai, being rejuvenated and kept up like Mercedes and BMWs. They will all need to be fixed and I've paid just as much for my stupid American and Japanese dependable cars after 36K miles as I could be paying for my CPO BMW up to 100k miles. I definitely won't be able to afford a major repair after CPO warranty but do put away $$ for the medium ones. I'm 47 years old (was 27 last year) and still broke for the most part due to kids but love driving my BMW every day. Maybe I'll get over it next year and get a Kia Optima 4 cyl (It looks like it gets you chicks on the commercials). Any takers?
You seem to be having too many issues with owning cars. Hire a chauffeur.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:06 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:

It's because the ride is so incredibly harsh, nobody can drive them

Old 07-03-2013, 11:06 AM
2008 335i coupe

why does a car that is german engineered need any gasket or engine work at all at 44k miles is the question many should asking themselves. it gives you cause for consternation.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:32 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
why does a car that is german engineered need any gasket or engine work at all at 44k miles is the question many should asking themselves. it gives you cause for consternation.
You seem to be under the impression the majority of BMWs suffer from the few problems you've read about here over the last month or so you've been a member. At the rate you're going I predict you're going to have a pretty stressful and unpleasant BMW ownership experience. You should probably just trade to an Infiniti G or an Acura TSX now, before BMW has a chance to bleed you dry.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
I have just under 80K on my 2007 335i

Latest is I took it in for spurious CEL/Limp conditions and the dealer found leaks in both differential seals and a leak at the oil pan. CEL may be vanos solenoids or cam ledge bearing (already had this work done at 18K miles). In total looking at $5K in repairs (dealer pricing, of course).

For that money you can have a lift, tools, and parts to fix your ride: DIY heaven.

But...leaking diff seals? I've never had the experience, even on a 450k mi vehicle. Did dealer specify what toasted seals? They might be symptom to a developing prob.

That oil pan's a PITA - if memory serves, gotta drop a subframe, at least some.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:43 PM
Squeal like a BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
For that money you can have a lift, tools, and parts to fix your ride: DIY heaven.

But...leaking diff seals? I've never had the experience, even on a 450k mi vehicle. Did dealer specify what toasted seals? They might be symptom to a developing prob.

That oil pan's a PITA - if memory serves, gotta drop a subframe, at least some.
Yeah would be nice to have my own lift . . . but I live in a condo!

Service manager confirmed your thoughts - he said he has to drop the differential to fix the oil pan leak ... My extended warranty has proven priceless with this car... Still waiting on the claims adjustor but my guess is he won't show up until Monday with the holiday weekend.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:58 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
Forums are places where people come to:
Piss and moan
Learn more about their car
Brag about their car

Visit a Subaru or Toy or any Asian forum and you will hear the same thing.
Head gasket failure 8K mile 2013 Outback and on and on.

What you read on this forum is not representative of the population plain and simple.
My experience with well over a dozen BMWs to include my 2007 E93 335 is that they have been bulletproof.
Could it be I have been lucky on every BMW I have owned or maybe my time is due on my 2007 since it is approaching 60K miles?
There is no way of telling.
Cars are way better than when I first starting driving. It was rare to get over 60K miles out of an engine without rings or valve stem sealing causing a trail of smoke following you.

For whatever reason there are some folks that do everything right and still get (pick any make and model here) a car that dumps on you repeatedly.
I think the OP has that car.
I don't think I have heard of an oil pan leaking in years on one of our cars. Even my 284K mile M3 didn't have one leak and that was a 98 I sold last year.
Best of luck OP I think you have that rare car that mistreats you.

I have never had a lemon but owned some cars that didn't treat me well. Most of those were 70's and 80's models.
98 Toy Avalon was not virtue of Asian engineering either when the climate control failed in one week and took 6 weeks to get a replacement. Many other issues with this car too so again forums are not representative of the population...
Old 07-03-2013, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: 335I Convertible 2007
Quote:
I have just under 80K on my 2007 335i - it's been dealer serviced other than Koni FSD's installed by an indy.

Fortunately I have an extended warranty which is now looking like it could pay out 25% of the original cost of the vehicle (Euro delivery pricing, that is) after all is said and done.

Previous warranty work has paid for the warranty two times over . . .

The car has not been tracked nor does it have any aftermarket tuning.

Does it ever end? I don't plan on keeping the car much longer but am now thinking "not another BMW". I drive too many miles to lease, and other than an extended warranty (dealer visits are still a hassle - having to drive the loaner on my 4th of July vacation), I can't imagine keeping one of these out of warranty.

Now I know service at an independent would be cheaper, and my guess is my SA knows this warranty is good and is looking to make a buck fixing anything and everything they can on the car (fine with me since warranty should cover it all). Some of these things might be OK to live with for a while if I had to absorb the costs out of pocket.

I guess I've been lucky!! Outside of normal maintenance, my only abnormal maintenance is replacing bubbled run flat tires due to city driving. Good thing I keep a road hazard warranty on my tires; I've had 8 damage replacements since I've bought my car in 2008 and that's with very low mileage. I bought the car in 2008 with 12K on it and I'm still a little under 50k as of today.

I'm going to keep a positive attitude and hope I can keep the car a few more years, minus expensive out-of-pocket maintenance fees, once my warranty runs out. And, that reminds me, I need to check the date and make sure I get all I can checked/covered before the warranty expires! Better luck with yours!

Last edited by dargar; 07-04-2013 at 07:37 AM.