Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 08-01-2013, 08:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i, 2006 525xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdCT View Post
Visions you might have of you and Pam sailing along the countryside, top down as Gil Scott Heron blasts from the stereo, on your way to a wine country retreat will have to be done top up.
I have to disagree. The trunk with the top down has enough room for 2 weekend suitcases (read: the kind you store in overhead bins on planes). I've gone on week long vacations with this car and between the trunk and storing a few other items here and there, we do just fine. One of my pleasures with this car is driving top down and blasting the music on a nice summer day. With the premium sound package you have enough power to easily hear music.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/12, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, 6 MT, ///M Sport, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Comfort Access, LED Angel Eyes, BMWPedals pedal covers, stubby antenna, Luxon strut bar, CF engine cover, LCI side marker, powder coated calipers, Extra Enjoyment Package
Old 08-01-2013, 09:12 AM
zeddy

Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
I have to disagree. The trunk with the top down has enough room for 2 weekend suitcases (read: the kind you store in overhead bins on planes). I've gone on week long vacations with this car and between the trunk and storing a few other items here and there, we do just fine. One of my pleasures with this car is driving top down and blasting the music on a nice summer day. With the premium sound package you have enough power to easily hear music.
Perhaps, I've never tried it, but the Boxster has space to spare, and at this price point and with the new version's increased refinement and better styling (over the last gen Boxster), I'd give it a hard look.

2000 Mercedes Benz E320 (daily driver)
2007 Infiniti M35x (wife's)
2006 330 cic ZHP 6sp (current)
2005 Z4 3.0 sp nav x-leather (retired)
2000 323i PP (best car, ever - retired)
Old 08-01-2013, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 Graygreen 325i
Quote:
Rob, I've spent time behind the wheel of both the Boxster and Cayman - top down, the Boxster has an awesome engine note - it's hard to beat and it feels right. Classic Porsche experience. Top up, it's droning and tiresome (IMO).

The Cayman always has the top up, so it's a mixed bag - personally, I think the Boxster is the more "sensible" of the pair - it's more fun, has more luggage capacity and is "less expensive" (a relative term). Note, there's an all new B/C pair and I've not driven either.

The Z4 will trounce both in terms of daily driving and all around practicality except in one area - luggage capacity. The new Z4 is even worse in that luggage space diminishes even more when the top's down. I HATE folding tin tops and for me it'd be a deal killer - they're heavy, complex, and take a lot of stowage space. Visions you might have of you and Pam sailing along the countryside, top down as Gil Scott Heron blasts from the stereo, on your way to a wine country retreat will have to be done top up.

I'd look at the all new Boxster if I were in this class of car - your wife has the right idea It handles better, has a proper ragtop and it holds more stuff. It's expensive, but you keep your cars a long time, so you'll get max fun out of it for years.
Yeah, you got that right! My car's coming up on its 11th birthday, and Pam's still driving one of the original Saturns, now 20 years old. (Lease??? what's that all about? )

We buy what we like and keep 'em. That's why it's such a big decision. I once described my car to the infamous TD, and he said "yeah, you better love that car, cause you're stuck with it" (stick, no moonroof, unusual color, etc)

I've strongly considered the Boxter, but Pam's definitely not a convertible kinda girl. Something about "black girl hair", yadda yadda. Also, I'm a bit of an audiophile, and I worry about the stereo acoustics of a top-up rag-top. Hence the beauty of the newer Z4s. Hard-top, but when I'm by myself in the beautiful AZ weather - top down white-boy hair is no problem!

I think I have to hear the drone in person. I remember when I first got my 325. For a long-time I drove with no stereo on, so I could listen to the engine as I went through the gears. The side benefit of the 325i at that time (vs the lovely 330 e46) was that I could more easily rev through the gears without violating too many traffic laws, and still hear that smooth as silk straight-6 drone on. Come to think of it, 10 1/2 years later, I still love that sound.

So maybe the Cayman would be like that. But maybe with no top-down option it would feel a bit claustrophobic.

Well, we're still a year out from making the decision. I am somewhat disappointed that the lower model is no longer an inline 6. I understand all the benefits of the turbo 4, but the inline 6 was a work of art. The bigger one is more of a gas guzzler, and heavy.

That flat six is looking better...
Old 08-03-2013, 07:40 PM
zeddy

Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob325_in_AZ View Post
Yeah, you got that right! My car's coming up on its 11th birthday, and Pam's still driving one of the original Saturns, now 20 years old. (Lease??? what's that all about? )

We buy what we like and keep 'em. That's why it's such a big decision. I once described my car to the infamous TD, and he said "yeah, you better love that car, cause you're stuck with it" (stick, no moonroof, unusual color, etc)

I've strongly considered the Boxter, but Pam's definitely not a convertible kinda girl. Something about "black girl hair", yadda yadda. Also, I'm a bit of an audiophile, and I worry about the stereo acoustics of a top-up rag-top. Hence the beauty of the newer Z4s. Hard-top, but when I'm by myself in the beautiful AZ weather - top down white-boy hair is no problem!

I think I have to hear the drone in person. I remember when I first got my 325. For a long-time I drove with no stereo on, so I could listen to the engine as I went through the gears. The side benefit of the 325i at that time (vs the lovely 330 e46) was that I could more easily rev through the gears without violating too many traffic laws, and still hear that smooth as silk straight-6 drone on. Come to think of it, 10 1/2 years later, I still love that sound.

So maybe the Cayman would be like that. But maybe with no top-down option it would feel a bit claustrophobic.

Well, we're still a year out from making the decision. I am somewhat disappointed that the lower model is no longer an inline 6. I understand all the benefits of the turbo 4, but the inline 6 was a work of art. The bigger one is more of a gas guzzler, and heavy.

That flat six is looking better...
I don't think I'd buy any car with a convertible top if it isn't the wife's thing - of course, you might like it for those long summer nights whn you need to work out some issues

Looks like a Cayman would be a good bet, or perhaps - gasp - a 911. New Caymans may have more refinement - so try.

I'd also take a look at the new Corvette - why not?

Not sure what other two-seater coupes are in that price range, but whatever's available, check it out.

2000 Mercedes Benz E320 (daily driver)
2007 Infiniti M35x (wife's)
2006 330 cic ZHP 6sp (current)
2005 Z4 3.0 sp nav x-leather (retired)
2000 323i PP (best car, ever - retired)
Old 08-04-2013, 08:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d & 2014 535i
Back to the topic, I believe Boxster sucks away a lot of potential z4 buyers.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:53 PM
My avatar is a selfie LOL

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
Why isn't the Z4 more popular?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoucity View Post
Back to the topic, I believe the Boxster sucks.
Fixed it for you ;P

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 08-21-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
I don't think I'd buy any car with a convertible top if it isn't the wife's thing - of course, you might like it for those long summer nights whn you need to work out some issues

Looks like a Cayman would be a good bet, or perhaps - gasp - a 911. New Caymans may have more refinement - so try.

I'd also take a look at the new Corvette - why not?

Not sure what other two-seater coupes are in that price range, but whatever's available, check it out.
Late to respond, sorry.

well, I love the C6 corvette, but Pam thinks of them still in terms of the late 1970's-early 1980's stereotypes (course I was born in 1970 so I was quite fond of them back then). She will begrudgingly admit the C6 is a work of sheetmetal .. er.. make that fiberglass./carbonfiber ... beauty.

She would love a 911, but on a primary care salary, that would be a bit more commitment. 'Course that's 2 primary care doc's with no kids, living in Tucson, so probably quite doable.

We do both like the Z4's though.

Last edited by Rob325_in_AZ; 08-21-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepittrill View Post
Fixed it for you ;P

That's just... wrong

Last edited by Rob325_in_AZ; 08-21-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:15 AM
Salaried Tourist

Mein Auto: '14 Z435 is, Benz's & MGs
Looked carefully at Boxster S and C7 Corvette before pulling the trigger on a Z4 35is.

Boxster S... Great handling and top end, plenty of trunk space, light responsive steering. BUT, a fabric roof, insufficient low end torque, myriad confusing switches (I like idrive).

C7 Corvette... huge improvement over C6, great interior, gobs of torque, looks like 458 at a glance, BUT, fabric roof, not avail until early 2014.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 200mph View Post
Looked carefully at Boxster S and C7 Corvette before pulling the trigger on a Z4 35is.

Boxster S... Great handling and top end, plenty of trunk space, light responsive steering. BUT, a fabric roof, insufficient low end torque, myriad confusing switches (I like idrive).

C7 Corvette... huge improvement over C6, great interior, gobs of torque, looks like 458 at a glance, BUT, fabric roof, not avail until early 2014.
After I sell my 2009 35i I will only consider 3 cars: 2014 35is, 2013/2014 Boxster S or 2014 C7 Corvette Coupe. Same 3 choices. It's a toss up right now.
No one here locally wants to look at a convertible in the 110 degree heat, so if someone on this forum could please step to the plate and purchase my pristine condition 35i that would be great. Thank You.

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 08-23-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:53 PM

Mein Auto: E89 Z4
Exclusivity keeps it special. Those who don't know cars think its some exotic car. If its such a chicks car how come Ferrari, Mercedes and now jaguar are producing such similar cars. If you know a little about driving you don't need that much power or the manual. I have the 2.5 straight six with paddle shifters and 18 inch tyres, can make it drift in the dry and have so much fun with roundabouts and cutting through traffic. And yes you have to be able to live with a two seater or have a second car
Old 08-24-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohn View Post
Exclusivity keeps it special. Those who don't know cars think its some exotic car. If its such a chicks car how come Ferrari, Mercedes and now jaguar are producing such similar cars. If you know a little about driving you don't need that much power or the manual. I have the 2.5 straight six with paddle shifters and 18 inch tyres, can make it drift in the dry and have so much fun with roundabouts and cutting through traffic. And yes you have to be able to live with a two seater or have a second car
I don't think anyone has ever mistake the E89 for an exotic haha. The BMW badge would be the first indicator that it is NOT an exotic.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
I've seen a very nice Z8 conversion done on a Z4 .Do this and drop a LS7 in it and exotic you have.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfan13 View Post
I've seen a very nice Z8 conversion done on a Z4 .Do this and drop a LS7 in it and exotic you have.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1377379379.239069.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	393359

Old 08-25-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepittrill View Post

Old 08-25-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:

Looks great from here.Would depend on builder.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfan13 View Post
Looks great from here.Would depend on builder.
There you go ...

http://www.carkitinc.com/carkit2.php?id=5

BTW, I am looking forward to i8 conversion kits.

Last edited by bayoucity; 08-25-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:56 AM

Right after this post I was driving down I75 and saw a hauler with a wrecked Z4.Most of the damage was front end.Bet a person could buy a salvage Z4 fairly cheep.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:21 AM

Mein Auto: Z4
I couldn't agree more. This vehicle is a head snapper. I get huge compliments on this machine anywhere I go with it. The Z3 was a chick car look at what they built it against--- a Mazda Miata. The first gen Z4 looked like a truck ran into the trunk area. I have a '12 sapphire Black w/walnut leather and M sports pkg. It has roadster lines similar to '60's sports cars and when you line it up side by side with a Boxster and an SLK there's no comparison. The Boxster looks like a squashed bug and the SLK is more like owning a Cadillac very rich looking.
Is it expensive, perhaps but when you think about owning a vehicle for 8-10 years, and you look around at what is available what car day in and day out is going to give you a desire each time to drive it. Besides 39mpg@+70 on I-95 and mid grade; whats not to like. Only thing I've done to date is get a Windblox windscreen in smoke with the black rubber trim and it gives it a great look, (and yes it does work but you own a convertible so its not the same as roof up). Next move is to go with Dayton wire wheels all around.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg-Zed4 View Post
...It has roadster lines similar to '60's sports cars and when you line it up side by side with a Boxster and an SLK there's no comparison. The Boxster looks like a squashed bug and the SLK is more like owning a Cadillac very rich looking. ...
Ok, I politely disagree on Boxster.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:37 AM
puppet master

Mein Auto: E92 335i M Sport
Quote:
Ok, I politely disagree on Boxster.

+1
Z4 looks nice, but so does this!
Old 08-31-2013, 04:19 PM

I would call the Z8 exotic.Long debated topic exotic.I like what the top gear guys call hyper car.Exotic has been left in the dust.Long live Jeremy Clarkson!
Old 08-31-2013, 06:00 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 IS , Ford Raptor

Just got my second Z4 IS. I looked at the Caymen, Boxster, and Jaguar F type.

Even loaded the Z4 came out much cheaper for an equivalent optioned Jag or Porsche. I did not think the > $200 price difference per month was worth it. If the price was closer would have the Caymen or Jag in the garage.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 545i
Join the Mt Wilson vert meet and drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy View Post
I just took delivery of a 2014 Z4 sdrive 28 Valencia Orange with hyper orange interior 2 days ago and asked myself the same question. I'm new here just signed up today and I am excited to at least talk to someone that ownes one!
Hey Caliguy,

What are the chances you can join the vert meet on Sunday, Sept 22? You can sign up and check out more specifics at:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=875940

Congrats on the new car...pretty cool color...would love to see you and the car with all the other verts!
Old 09-03-2013, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: Z4
I looked seriously at the Boxster but for the cost and driving around here it was approx. +20% what I paid for my Z4. I also didn't appreciate the Porsche arrogance of wanting to charge me for for picking up the car and driving it in Germany; which I did do with the Z4.