Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 08-30-2004, 11:10 AM
Oh yeah, she's my baby...

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Back from Guam

I'm back from my three week trip to Guam. It's an interesting place but I have no intentions of going back anytime soon. The flight is a biotch. It took 16 hours to get there, that was actual air time.

The island istelf is very tropical. It looks just like Hawaii but way smaller and not as well kept. There are still a lot of trashed buildings that are remnants from a typhoon they had a few years back. Speaking of typhoons they had one while I was there. My first natural disaster. Fortunately the eye stayed north of the island so we didn't get the brunt of the storm. An island just north, Rota, got slammed with 135 mph winds. Guam had winds in the 80-90 mph range. I stayed at the Marroitt and they did a nice job of accomodating us during the storm. An interesting thing is how homes are constructed. They are all made of concrete, including the roofs. I guess that's the best way to keep a house in tact considering the violent storms they get. One of they guys that works there told me that if your roof wasn't made of concrete you couldn't get home owners insurance.

Even though Guam is part of the US at times I felt like a foreigner. There are groups of Japanese toursits that frequent the island. Just about everywhere you go signs are written in English and Japanese. I guess it's good for Guam to get the tourist bucks. Were it not for that and the US Navy and Air Force I don't know what they'd do economically.

They have maintained a lot of the history dating back to WWII. There are a few parks that were opened to preserve some of the sites where battles were fought between the Marines and the Japanese military. There is a place not far from the US invasion site where an actual Japanese machine gun nest and pill box are still in tact. Unfortuantely the weather was so bad I couldn't get there. There is a trail you can hike to see each of them, I tried walking it but the mud was so deep I couldn't get there.

The first shot is the view from my room on one of the nice days. The next two are during the typhoon. The fourth was taken at a scenic lookout at Anderson AFB. The last shot is where the US invaded after two straight weeks of shelling by the US Navy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5A.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	36195   Click image for larger version

Name:	19A.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	36196   Click image for larger version

Name:	23B.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	36197   Click image for larger version

Name:	24B.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	36198   Click image for larger version

Name:	10B.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	36199  

"Life is all about ass ... either you are covering it, kicking it, kissing it, sitting on it or trying to get it."
Advertisement
Old 08-30-2004, 11:26 AM
TXSunDvl

Mein Auto: '01 325Ci, ZSP, '08 CR-V
Welcome back. Hope you didn't have to ride in the back of the bus. I've flown accross the Pacific a number of times. It's bad enough in business class, but the one time I got stuck flying coach was horrendous.

Last edited by Bill325Ci; 08-30-2004 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill325Ci
Hope you didn't have to ride in the back of the bus. I've flown accross the Pacific a number of times. It's bad enough in business class, but the one time I got stuck flying coach was horrendous.
The trip there I rode in the back. From Phx to Honolulu it was a little tight but from Honolulu to Guam I had the row to myself. Coming back no suck luck. Although in Honolulu I upgraded to first for $250. Best money I have spent in a while. They had a little engine trouble so we sat at the gate for four hours. It was nice to have a seat that reclined and had leg and foot rests. It took me 23 hours to get home. Needless to say I was one tired ******.

"Life is all about ass ... either you are covering it, kicking it, kissing it, sitting on it or trying to get it."
Old 08-30-2004, 11:57 AM
TXSunDvl

Mein Auto: '01 325Ci, ZSP, '08 CR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by apar330i
The trip there I rode in the back. From Phx to Honolulu it was a little tight but from Honolulu to Guam I had the row to myself. Coming back no suck luck. Although in Honolulu I upgraded to first for $250. Best money I have spent in a while. They had a little engine trouble so we sat at the gate for four hours. It was nice to have a seat that reclined and had leg and foot rests. It took me 23 hours to get home. Needless to say I was one tired ******.
I can sympathize. My flight from Houston to Melboure, Australia was 23 hours. I was a zombie for two days after arrival.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill325Ci
I can sympathize. My flight from Houston to Melboure, Australia was 23 hours. I was a zombie for two days after arrival.
I don't think I ever caught up while I was on Guam. I don't remember sleeping through the night once. That and the dismal weather made me groggy most of the time I was there. At least we got inexpensive beer at the Navy club.

Old 08-30-2004, 12:08 PM
Senior Slacker

Mein Auto: 9A1
Quote:
Originally Posted by apar330i
I don't think I ever caught up while I was on Guam. I don't remember sleeping through the night once. That and the dismal weather made me groggy most of the time I was there. At least we got inexpensive beer at the Navy club.
Sounds like Guam has not changed The Japanese tourists go there as a less expensive alternative (and shorter flight) than Hawaii. Still has military significance because of its location.

Old 08-30-2004, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexed
Sounds like Guam has not changed The Japanese tourists go there as a less expensive alternative (and shorter flight) than Hawaii. Still has military significance because of its location.
Yep, there are some areas that really look run down. I guess getting hamered by typhoons doesn't help. I passed by several cars that looked abandoned on the side of the road. One actually had vegetation growing out of it. Lots of dogs running loose. Quite a few dead ones on the road. I almost nailed one on the way back to the hotel one evening.

Speaking of Japanese tourists I will hand it to them. The place next door, Pacific Islands Club, has three really nice pools. It's just before the typhoon hit with full force, I'd say winds nearing 40-50 mph, and they're still in the pool living it up. I guess they figured they are already wet, what's a little rain going to do?