Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 07-04-2013, 01:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528i M-Sport
Need some help with few codes

Hey guys I am currently trying to buy this 2000 BMW 528i M package with auto tranny, since its a relatively old car my friend decided to hook up some computer he uses at his body shop to see whats what with the car and it showed few codes on the engine and tranny, after erasing all the codes and rerunning the tests these were the codes that remained:
Engine:
82 - Signal, CAN ASC 1
4A - Activation, A/C compressor
Tranny:
82 - CAN timeout ASC/DSC
95 - CAN wheel speeds
50 - Control unit, internal fault 1 (EPROM)
i do have to add that the traction control light, abs, and air bag lights are on, and the speedomiter is not working ether. anyone has any idea what these codes mean? and if you do how much would it run me approximately to fix all these issues? Thanks in advance for all the help
P.S: the car has been sitting without a battery for roughly 2-3 months

Last edited by TimmyNY; 07-04-2013 at 01:21 AM.
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2013, 11:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 528i / E34 540i
Greetings / Welcome

I'm not all that proficient with the BUS system but I will hazard a guess.
From your comment about "traction control light, abs lights", I suggest that the software your friend is using is telling you that there is a communication error on the CAN (controller area network) bus from specific modules - hence the fault lights.
Possible failures : ABS module and one or more wheel sensors.
Not familiar with code 4A - A/C fault could be something as simple as low system charge.

What software did your friend use? I'm surprised you cannot pull a code for the air bag fault.
Common failures - seat occupancy sensor, seat belt latch.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
do a search here or google: "ABS trifecta Blubee"

This is a common malady that has been much discusssed and thoroughly documented on how to diagnose. Big thanks to Bluebee, 540iman, and others that contributed to the many threads that help explain how to work through the trifecta & bifecta ABS/ASC/DSC traction control issues.

Good luck. Just find a thread with the two forum members names mentioned above (especially Bluebee's) that discuss this "trifecta" issue...and you should find a thread or be directed to a thread that you can read through to get & gain the knowledge you need to work through repairing/replacing what needs to be done.
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 07-04-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Why didn't he 'splain them to you?

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
Why didn't he 'splain them to you?
cause he didnt know the codes ether he works at the body shop as the manager he only knows how to reset system and stuff like that lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
do a search here or google: "ABS trifecta Blubee"

This is a common malady that has been much discusssed and thoroughly documented on how to diagnose. Big thanks to Bluebee, 540iman, and others that contributed to the many threads that help explain how to work through the trifecta & bifecta ABS/ASC/DSC traction control issues.

Good luck. Just find a thread with the two forum members names mentioned above (especially Bluebee's) that discuss this "trifecta" issue...and you should find a thread or be directed to a thread that you can read through to get & gain the knowledge you need to work through repairing/replacing what needs to be done.
ok thanks a lot i will look into it

Quote:
Originally Posted by air_cooled View Post
Greetings / Welcome

I'm not all that proficient with the BUS system but I will hazard a guess.
From your comment about "traction control light, abs lights", I suggest that the software your friend is using is telling you that there is a communication error on the CAN (controller area network) bus from specific modules - hence the fault lights.
Possible failures : ABS module and one or more wheel sensors.
Not familiar with code 4A - A/C fault could be something as simple as low system charge.

What software did your friend use? I'm surprised you cannot pull a code for the air bag fault.
Common failures - seat occupancy sensor, seat belt latch.
hmmm i googled some results and i had same thing ether faulty abs module or one of the sensors... well thank you anyways

Last edited by TimmyNY; 07-04-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:53 PM

Mein Auto: 528iT
Classic symptoms that your ABS control module has an internal communication interface fault so info cannot be sent to the CAN (Controller Area Network) bus. When this happens neither vehicle speed info or ABS internal errors can be sent to the CAN bus. Speed sensor info is required for modules on the CAN bus. CAN bus modules are ABS, engine ecu, instrument panel and transmission ecu. Any ABS intervention action info is also required by both the engine ecu and the transmission ecu so these modues are aware that ABS intervention is taking place and don't do anything that could interfere with the ABS operation. If this info is not available the engine and transmission go into "Limp" mode.
You will notice there are no error codes from the ABS module itself. This is because the ABS module cannot report its own internal errors over the CAN bus. I had similar error codes when my ABS module failed, CAN bus communication errors on all the other modules except the ABS module. Plus the "Trifecta of lights", engine and transmission in limp mode etc. You will possibly find that everything works OK until the underbonnet temp goes up and then the problems start. My ABS problem was heat soak temperature related failure - thermal cycling causes failure of the printed circuit board and/or the very fine wires inside the ABS module. Its all well documented on this and other boards.
The A/C error may be unrelated to the ABS problem but under some situations the A/C compressor is turned off by the engine ecu and this may be relying on speed info. Not sure about this though.
Other possibilities could be a poor connection in the ABS module multi connector plug. Unplug and replug the connector. Worth a try before you spend up for a new or repaired module.
Since the car has been sitting for months make sure your battery is in good condition and being charged properly. At idle battery voltage should be around 14V. A lot of electronic faults are caused by bad batteries and/or alternators.

Hope this helps.
RonR
99 528iT M52TU