Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 07-04-2013, 02:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 bmw x3
Cooling system check(water pump or Thermostat)

Hi very helpful mentors,

I own 2007 bmw x3 77k miles.
My curious started from the rather vigorous Fan activity and slight higher IDLE rpm around 800.

When i started my engine in the morning, my engine RPM is around 650~700 with AC on, but during the day, when i stop at traffic, i see always around 800~900 rpm without AC.
i don't see any fail or warning on dash, no overheat problem.
but I am just curious whether those can be caused by weak water pump(or any defect of thermostat.), and then maybe water pump is dying to totally fail.

so, my experiment was to trig water pump.
Key on, no engine start, heater on with highest temp, heater fan speed low, gas pedal press 10seconds, now i hear some small motor sounds from front passenger when i open the hood.
i believe this is water pump.

Here my questions are,
does this water pump run every few seconds intermittently ? it runs a few seconds, stop 1~2 seconds, and run again. but after a minute i don't hear any motor sound at the end.
i wonder if you guys have the same behavior.
Is it normal or do i need to bring this to dealer to check up ?

thanks in advance sharing the information.
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2013, 10:08 AM

well, it's kind of self update :-)
My complain about high IDLE rpm is not reproducible after i had put Lucas Injector cleaner, and at the same time i used Premium GAS octane 91.
i filled it up with 87 octane just for experiment around two GAS fill up ago, it mean that i had filled up 91 octane last time and this time.
i am not 100% sure which is the main resolver & contribution of high idle RPM.
My feeling is that 87 octane is the culprit and it cause rather overheating of engine, high idle rpm. Most likely when they mixed up together 87 octane + 91 octane.

w.r.t. water pump operation interval, i need to look this later when i am ready to read out error code of her by scanner.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:57 PM

Cooling system check(water pump or Thermostat)

Today, when i come back to home from office, 6 miles away with a little traffic.
Now i see high idle rpm again at stop at traffic. It is independent to any AC on/off, D/R/P tranny, light control.

Up to date conclusion is that outside temperature higher than 87 degreeF around will trigger rather higher Fan spinning than normal and stop.
And this will bring higher idle RPM to compensate the drop of generated voltage.

I may be too much sensitive, but just trying to learn and sort out. :-)

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-10-2013, 07:05 AM

Mein Auto: 740I
87 octane has a higher flash point that 91 or for example 100. So, using 87 may have the same effect as advancing your
timing. On my 72 Chevelle, 502 CU + procharger supercharger, 703 H.P. when using 100 octane I have to turn my idle
screw up about 1 to 1 1/2 turns to compensate for the slower burn rate. When running on the street with 91 octane,
I turn the idle screw back down. Since on our BMW X3's we do not have assess to an idle screw that I presently know,
the solution to your problem is to use 91 octane.