Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:59 PM

Mein Auto: 87 325i
Idle sputter/running rough and jumpy. Hit the accelerator, car stalls

The title pretty much sums this up. It's a 1987 325i. I'm very car illiterate so please forgive me! Any ideas of what this could be? What's weird is that this doesn't happen all the time. It's completely random and seems to be getting worse. On days that this happens, ill keep trying to start it and eventually it will start and run as if nothing was wrong.
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2013, 08:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1987 BMW 325
Re: Idle sputter/running rough and jumpy. Hit the accelerator, car stalls

Check for vacuum leaks...

1987 325e automatic sedan
Old 07-05-2013, 02:09 AM

Mein Auto: 89 325i 2dr&DucatiMonster
Check the CPS (crank position sensor) and the idle control valve then start worrying about hunting down vacuum leaks.Since it's not happening all the time the CPS may be your culprit and when it goes the car will no longer start at all.If it does it try wiggling the wire for the CPS to see if you can get it to start.plus make sure there's no dirt or grease between it and the contact wheel.The other possible problem could be a sensor for your ECU is the car getting to operating temp before it starts and runs right? I mean it runs crapy enough times to get it to normal temp before it starts working?

Last edited by toybuilder; 07-05-2013 at 02:41 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:11 AM
INSANELY UNPREDICTABLE!

Mein Auto: 1984 318i
Idle sputter/running rough and jumpy. Hit the accelerator, car stalls

^this CPS failures are quite commonplace on the M20's

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-05-2013, 11:25 AM

Almost as common as air .They all go bad eventually it's just a matter of when. Then wire gets brittle from getting hot and they eventually fail.But it could be something else have you checked for codes?
Old 07-05-2013, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
Also might try cleaning the throttlebody, pull the throttlebody Bootie off ..inspect it carefully for splits/cracks, if any are found or develop while removing ,Don't even try to repair.. ,just replace it.
Spray a lot of Gum cutter on a rag wrap wet area of rag around your RT hand pointer and middle fingers..open throttle lever on top of throttlebody with left hand,...clean all that black sticky carbon stuff you see in there from between the butterfly valve and the body housing walls.An old toothbrush soaked in the same cleaner helps too.Repeat,..get it squeaky clean Some air actually needs to pass thru that area even when closed at idle and if gummed up or otherwise blocked,.. idle-off idle transition characteristics may suffer .

WARNING/ CAREFUL! ..!Most if not "ALL" 0f the chemical combinations in carburetor cleaner containers (spray cans)..have affixed a label listing chemicals that are known to the State of California to cause cancer ,birth defects and other nasty maladies..and containchemicals which "cannot be made non-poisonous"...but by all means,Don't let any of that crap slow you down, lol!... ,..READ THE LABEL before use!! wear heavy rubber gloves to protect your skin, a respirator if desired, goggles.. and lord knows don't smoke while using any of these products..they are HIGHLY FLAMMABLE!! ...they may also damage or remove vehicle paint.This procedure WILL leave a very nasty toxic stain on your clean concrete driveway that may never go away..sheesh,..no wonder you can't find a good mechanic around anymore.. lol!Let us know if it helps
Old 07-05-2013, 05:17 PM

Hey I resmeble that remark I've been a good mechanic for 28 yrs and after that long you develop an immunity to chemicals ,you almost start to like the smell, though the burn on your hands or open cuts you never get used to .P.S. DON'T USE CARB/FUEL INJECTION CLEANER ON YOUR AIR METER ,the plastic parts inside will be damaged.There is a chemical for cleaning MAF's that will work without any damage to the part if you follow the directions.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:11 PM

Mein Auto: 87 BMW 325
My 87 325 does the same thing but only when it is very damp or humid outside. Thought it might be the coil.

bill in Maine
Old 10-04-2013, 03:26 PM

Mein Auto: 94 bmw 318i e30
I believe this is the right spot. Hey Igot a 94 318I.e30. Just boght it and it started to idea real rough like miss fiering or wanting to stalll. And performance is kinda ****ty. looked around under hood and I beliefe its the maf boot was wrapped in tape and huge ass wholes I'm going to dealer to get a new one but was wondering is that it and itl be good afteror could it be something else and yesterday tried to start it and nothing
Old 10-05-2013, 07:41 AM
Old School

Mein Auto: E23;E30;E38;E32;E34 +
Leaking boot = all bad. Check for other bad pipes and hoses too.
Previous:
E21 318i; E30 318i; E32 735iL; E34 535i; E38 730iL; E53 4.4i