Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-04-2013, 08:01 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Steering Stalk Menu Items (BC button)

I've looked and looked and can't find a manual or comprehensive list of all the menu and submenu items available from the BC button on the left steering stalk.

Yes, I've searched my manual. I've looking through this forum as well. Problem is, I don't have iDrive, and BMW gives no love to non-iDrive folks. Instead we're stuck with the iDrive manual, with little instruction on how to customize vehicle settings without iDrive.

For example, I finally figured out how to activate the triple turn signal. But NOWHERE in the manual is this noted. However, there are cryptic icons that appear as I scrolled the menus and submenus using the BC button and little up/down toggle on the same steering wheel stalk. Kind of pathetic that BMW gives no love to non-iDrive users. I guess we didn't spend enough on our vehicles to be bestowed a proper owner's manual

Anyway, I'd love to know what the other icons and options I'm seeing are all about. I think there's a selection about auto-locking doors and such. But I don't want to guess. I'd really like to see a complete list of options so I can customize my car as I wish.

Does such a listing a menu items exist for those options accessible from the BC button, and viewable on the instrument cluster???
Ads by Google
Old 07-04-2013, 10:07 PM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=PADW5...%3DPADW5qQDCsY
Old 07-05-2013, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boramkiv View Post
Thanks a lot of the your reply. I actually saw this video the other day, in an attempt to answer my question. It's the closest thing to an answer. Though the video is shaky and hard to see at times because the camera isn't always properly pointed at the display.

Still, I would have thought that a comprehensive list of icons and their functions would have been published by BMW, or a user on this forum.

Maybe it's me, but I do not find BMW's icons in any way obvious or indicative as to their meaning. For example, how does a key with a squiggly line underneath mean that it's for programming the key? It just shouldn't be this hard.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
While the E90 manuals seem to assume iDrive, the 128i/135i manuals are available on line in both iDrive and non iDrive versions. As most of the BC functions on my 128i were the same as my E91, perhaps that may help you.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/dgh.aspx

Tom
Old 07-05-2013, 10:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i
Page 64 in my owner's manual (2007). It will then refer to various pages for each function i.e.: unlocking response, auto locking, daytime running lamps, triple turn indicator, etc. Maybe they left it out of newer manuals. Good luck.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
While the E90 manuals seem to assume iDrive, the 128i/135i manuals are available on line in both iDrive and non iDrive versions. As most of the BC functions on my 128i were the same as my E91, perhaps that may help you.

Tom
Excellent -- thanks Tom K!! The 2013 1 Series Non-iDrive manual has exactly what I was looking for. For anyone else interested, starting on Page 24, in the Personal Profile section, it describes the various settings, and where in the manual these related functions are further described.

Frustrating that BMW didn't include this in my manual, but encouraging that there such a supportive community here at Bimmerfest.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 330i (6MT, ZSP, ZPP)
If your owner's manual doesn't cover the info you need, try looking in an older version of the manual for your model car. They can be downloaded from BMW directly:

Old 07-05-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbuzzy View Post
If your owner's manual doesn't cover the info you need, try looking in an older version of the manual for your model car. They can be downloaded from BMW directly:

Thanks. I actually found the answer in an owners manual, but not an older one. A brand new (2013) manual for the 1 series, which apparently comes in a non-iDrive version.

Somewhat off topic, but I've recently used a 2013 loaner with iDrive and found it completely distracting. I bought my BMW to drive it, not fool around with a cumbersome input knob and stare at a monitor.

When I come home, and I'm no longer driving my BMW, I can play on my xbox. Until then, I don't need to be focussing on a monitor and jockeying a joystick!

Don't need iDrive, don't want it, and that big screen in the center console is downright annoying. I fail to see how it improves the driving experience.