Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-05-2013, 07:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 325i 2006
Rim help please!

Hey guys. I'm going to get new rims for my car. This will be my first time. Are these rims cheap your do you guys think they'll do the job? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1373034126.034392.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	385147

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Ads by Google
Old 07-05-2013, 08:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averdi View Post
Hey guys. I'm going to get new rims for my car. This will be my first time. Are these rims cheap your do you guys think they'll do the job?

Don't like what you have?

Most wheel mfg's don't have speed rated rims to BMW spec. If it's just cosmetic not to be driven fast or at all hard, anything will do. Dub.

If for performance, very few will do. Check credentials - don't see for rims pictured. 150 mph rated, please.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Think [01].jpg
Views:	29
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	385159
Old 07-05-2013, 08:12 AM

Rim help please!

Yeah it's mostly for looks. I have stocks on mine right now and it's boring in my eyes. I want something to make it pop. I just don't want to get rims that will dent in and made poorly

Old 07-05-2013, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
I know it is the current fashion to use the term "rims" but the correct word is "wheels". Now that I've had my cranky old man rant, although calwaterboy is correct in advising you to buy speed rated wheels, unless you plan on sustaining high speeds or extreme corner loads most aftermarket wheels will give good service and give you the visual "pop" that you desire.

I would advise that you only buy from reputable manufacturers that have been in business for more than 20 years and have at least some rudimentary testing regimen for their wheels.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:05 AM

Rim help please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashedBarrique View Post
I know it is the current fashion to use the term "rims" but the correct word is "wheels". Now that I've had my cranky old man rant, although calwaterboy is correct in advising you to buy speed rated wheels, unless you plan on sustaining high speeds or extreme corner loads most aftermarket wheels will give good service and give you the visual "pop" that you desire.

I would advise that you only buy from reputable manufacturers that have been in business for more than 20 years and have at least some rudimentary testing regimen for their wheels.
I dont really drive to hard. 80 on highway and such but nothing hard. I just don't want the rims to cave in

Old 07-05-2013, 09:21 AM
Salz und Pfeffer

Mein Auto: E90 335i xDrive
Quote:
I dont really drive to hard. 80 on highway and such but nothing hard. I just don't want the rims to cave in

It's hard to tell from a single no name pic from ebay.
There are a few manufacturers for CSL-style replicas - Alufelgen, Avant Garde, etc. They are all replicas and mostly use what is called gravity die casting. The OEM CSL wheels are made by BBS and are forged.
To learn more about different casting techniques, and wheel construction go to
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/....jsp?techid=90

Save the manuals
Old 07-05-2013, 05:44 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Hey guys. I'm going to get new rims for my car. This will be my first time. Are these rims cheap your do you guys think they'll do the job? Attachment 385147

Wheels are made by four basic manufacturing methods. See "production methods" in here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alloy_wheel

The "durability" of the wheel is best from "top to bottom" as shown, with forged wheels being recognized as superior, and "gravity cast" wheels being the cheapest and least "durable."

I'm betting that these wheels are made in China. You may want to ask the "distributor" what type of manufacturing method was used...but I doubt they know. Buyer beware.
At the price quoted, they're certainly not forged wheels.

Several points to consider:

1. We'll have to presume that you are NOT going to use run flat tires on these wheels, however if you ARE, the wheels need to be DESIGNED for RF tires, and include a design feature called the "extended (safety) hump" or EH2 design. Otherwise RF tires may "roll off" the rim when deflated. Although I doubt that you're using RFs...a RF tire "rolling off the wheel" could ruin your day and your sheet metal.

2. If you intend to use O.E. (original equipment) tire pressure monitoring units in your new wheels you should verify that the VALVE HOLE dimensions (diameter) are the SAME as your BMW valve hole dimensions. SOME repelacement wheel VH dimensions are not the same and may not permit the BMW (Beru) TPMS to fit properly in the valve hole. However rare, this should be verified.

3. Some replacement wheels DO NOT have a proper "cut out" at the valve hole to allow proper seating of the TPMS unit. Do these? If you were buying from The Tire Rack, they could tell you...but you're not (see No. 2).

4. Of course you can opt to NOT install the TPMS units and have the "TPMS alarm" displayed constantly. No, your dealer won't be able to disarm it.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 07-05-2013, 05:53 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BashedBarrique View Post

+1

As strange as it may seem, wheels remain substantially unregulated (National Highway Safety Administration - NHTSA), while tire regulations fill volumes.

Wheel manufacturers in the U.S. (and the E.U.) have a good reputation for "self regulation" in terms of strength testing and adherence to Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), and other "standards" organizations testing procedures.

The Chinese imports DO NOT, and they are not bound by U.S. "voluntary" compliance.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA