Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ~
The data is also clearly from different runs. Runs from different locations, conditions, tracks, etc. are not directly comparable.

As already pointed out, distance/time is additionally very different from speed/time.

Finally, the E90 may have hooked up very well in its 1/4 run. If the E90's initial distance traveled is a good amount quicker at the beginning of the 1/4 this translates into surprisingly faster total elapsed time over distance. In this circumstance the faster car catches up and overtakes it, but the better hooked up car will make a very impressive showing. This is one reason why trap speed is the best indicator of power being put to the rear wheels by a car, not elapsed 1/4 mile time. It is a bit counter-intuitive.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:35 PM

Mein Auto: 335i xDrive, X1 28ixDrive
I'm a noob when it comes to drag racing and how tests are setup. I understand that testing can vary widely depending on conditions and other factors. The data just looked really off to me between those two tests. Thanks for the explanations guys.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:56 PM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
The data is also clearly from different runs. Runs from different locations, conditions, tracks, etc. are not directly comparable.

As already pointed out, distance/time is additionally very different from speed/time.

Finally, the E90 may have hooked up very well in its 1/4 run. If the E90's initial distance traveled is a good amount quicker at the beginning of the 1/4 this translates into surprisingly faster total elapsed time over distance. In this circumstance the faster car catches up and overtakes it, but the better hooked up car will make a very impressive showing. This is one reason why trap speed is the best indicator of power being put to the rear wheels by a car, not elapsed 1/4 mile time. It is a bit counter-intuitive.
Yep, for example other F30 328s, such as some 8spd autos had quicker ETs at 13.8-13.9 but with much lower traps of 98mph. That indicates as you said, a car that is better hooking up as wheel spin has a way of inflating trap speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I'm a noob when it comes to drag racing and how tests are setup. I understand that testing can vary widely depending on conditions and other factors. The data just looked really off to me between those two tests. Thanks for the explanations guys.
Drag racing is very interesting-at first. It gets boring real quick lol.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Old 07-06-2013, 11:38 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
Yep, for example other F30 328s, such as some 8spd autos had quicker ETs at 13.8-13.9 but with much lower traps of 98mph. That indicates as you said, a car that is better hooking up as wheel spin has a way of inflating trap speeds.

Drag racing is very interesting-at first. It gets boring real quick lol.
It just seems it's not hard to go fast in a straight line. I'd get bored after 5 minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:15 AM

Mein Auto: BMW F30 330d M Sport
Road and Track: BMW 328i(e90) vs. BMW 328i(F30)

2 E46 M3's

1 E90 M Sport 6MT

1 E92 M Sport 6MT

F30 330d M Sport

Berk! As soon as you play the I have an M3 card you think it automatically gives you credibility on the F30 forum.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by Bratters123; 07-07-2013 at 01:39 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:54 AM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata

Is there something new to this article we already didn't know on non-M sport F30s? This sounds like a dead horse and we already know how to improve the F30 to old model levels- BMW M performance products

Old 07-07-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
It just seems it's not hard to go fast in a straight line. I'd get bored after 5 minutes.
There actually is a fair amount to it, a lot of variables involved. Basically if you have a car capable of 13.5, it takes very little skill to get to 13.8-14.5 lets say. But getting to that 13.5 and or beating it, you have to align a large variety of factors.

I bracket raced for a bit as a kid, it was kind of fun. But when I got good at it(could nail off a perfect RT and stay around there for the entire day) it got real boring to run within a tenth of my dial in for 30 passes. But it put money and trophies in the car which bought more mods. At 18, it was a pretty cool thing. But about the same time I became obsessed with adjustable suspensions, poly bushings, and auto-x'ing. Much more interesting.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Old 07-07-2013, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
^

Then it is an easy decision, keep the car and stop shopping.
yep
10 M3 Sedan (sweet)
13 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
14 Porsche Cayenne Platinum Diesel

BMWCCA 4215
Old 07-07-2013, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
There actually is a fair amount to it, a lot of variables involved.
I am a road racer type, not drag racer I learned to respect the skills of drag racers after trying a dozen or so runs. As with many things, it is harder than it looks. Dragging a high horsepower car is not mash the throttle an hang on.

Quote:
I bracket raced for a bit as a kid, it was kind of fun.
No one can beat a 16 year old girl and her 2000 Civic AT when bracket racing. Teenagers are machines when it comes to RT.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F30, 704 SS option
[QUOTE=-=Hot|Ice=-;7694401

(re: current owner of both E90 and F30)

I'd like to hear how you feel. I have had extensive time behind both vehicles.[/QUOTE]

To be honest, I am disappointed with the F30. I've had it for two months now and put on about 2,400 miles, including one 670 mile highway trip.

The F30 rides very nicely and is more forgiving over road imperfections. The stereo is a definite improvement over the E90 stereo - my favourite feature being that it can play WAV files from USB flash drives). I won't make any comments about esthetics, as I'll choose performance over styling any day and don't really give a hoot about car shape, light shape, new headlights, etc., etc.

My E90 and F30 are both equipped with optional sports suspension ($1,500 and $400 respectively) and the E90 has the Luxury package as well. I guess I should not have expected a $400 suspension mod to perform as well as a $1,500 one. My guess is that the latter purchase was likely just a lowering of the vehicle, whereas the former more likely included performance shocks &/or springs &/or sway bars. There is absolutely no comparison in terms of handling. My E90 can take street corners at wonderful speeds with virtually no lean and I usually accelerate into corners just for the fun of it. I've had to slow the F30 down around the same corners as it simply does not handle as well. It does not have the road feel that the E90 does and if I had to compare it to another vehicle, I'd say that its road feel is similar to that of a Lexus ES 350, a car that almost put me to sleep when I test drove it a few years ago.

The fit and finish is excellent and definitely a step above the E90. I'd rate the stock E90 stereo as a 3/10 (I'm very fussy) and the F30 at 5-6/30, so definitely an improvement. I upgrade all of my cars' stereos, so I am basing this observation on memory. I like the remote's trunk opening feature, but couldn't BMW have included a closing feature as is evident on the X3 (oops...straying from the topic)?

I am searching for a solution to the handling issues and will hopefully get that resolved shortly. Whether it's going to be tires, shocks, springs or sway bars, I don't know. BMW offered to put in the M suspension (shocks and springs) for a mere $4,000......that ain't gonna happen, but I will keep on reading this forum and hopefully come up with a definitive solution (or improvement) for significantly less than that.

Gas consumption (Imperial gallons): The E90 averages 25 MPG in the city and 35-37 MPG on the highway. The F30 gets 29 MPG in the city and well over 40 MPG on the highway. I drove 335 highway miles recently in ECO mode at 120 km/hr. (74.57 MPH) with the A/C on and the Stop/Start feature disabled. I got an amazing 47 MPG! I have no complaints about that!

I hope that I've been of help....

Roberta

Last edited by RobertaZ; 07-07-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:11 PM

^I sill want to know what the wheels/tires and suspension setup is like between the two cars of yours. Your CDN F30 is a bit different than what we are offered in the US, such as your $400 sport suspension, I want to figure out what you have.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:07 PM

Mein Auto: a car

Sounds like trolls are fighting each other in this thread.

2013 328i Sedan | ULEV N20 | M Sport Line | Estoril Blue II | Black Dakota Leather | Premium Package |
Technology Package | Driver Assistance Package | Dynamic Handling Package | Lighting Package |
Harmon Kardon Surround Sound | Sport Automatic Transmission with Shift Paddles | Anti Theft Alarm |
Port install: BMW M Performance Exhaust |
Old 07-08-2013, 05:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i m-sport EB2
i've driven a few E90s, and I think the only real advantage is the steering is a little better. I don't think its even a lot better like these magazines keep saying.

but they write these articles just to get views. all around the F30 is better at almost everything. the new engine is much more powerful. the torque alone makes it feel a lot more powerful.

And i think they are smoking crack when they are talking about the interior. the F30 interior is much much better than the E90 interior. I remember getting into a friends 2006 325i e90 which was the first year it came out, and most of us were like, wow this car drives a lot better than our cars, but this interior is not "luxury" ( i was driving a TSX at the time..)
Old 07-08-2013, 05:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Bingo. That's why all the bench racing on this site is a wasted exercise. What's more important is the sensation and where you like your power. I love when my N52 races to the redline but it needs to be above 4000 or so RPM to hit it's stride. It's not slow below that but doesn't pull hard. The N20 behaves differently but feels faster off the line to me in my limited time behind the wheel. Both have their strong points and both are terrific engines.

I'm pretty disappointed in Road & Track's take in this article. They make some good points but it's clearly much more biased than their typical comparison test.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertaZ View Post
To be honest, I am disappointed with the F30. I've had it for two months now and put on about 2,400 miles, including one 670 mile highway trip.

The F30 rides very nicely and is more forgiving over road imperfections. The stereo is a definite improvement over the E90 stereo - my favourite feature being that it can play WAV files from USB flash drives). I won't make any comments about esthetics, as I'll choose performance over styling any day and don't really give a hoot about car shape, light shape, new headlights, etc., etc.

My E90 and F30 are both equipped with optional sports suspension ($1,500 and $400 respectively) and the E90 has the Luxury package as well. I guess I should not have expected a $400 suspension mod to perform as well as a $1,500 one. My guess is that the latter purchase was likely just a lowering of the vehicle, whereas the former more likely included performance shocks &/or springs &/or sway bars. There is absolutely no comparison in terms of handling. My E90 can take street corners at wonderful speeds with virtually no lean and I usually accelerate into corners just for the fun of it. I've had to slow the F30 down around the same corners as it simply does not handle as well. It does not have the road feel that the E90 does and if I had to compare it to another vehicle, I'd say that its road feel is similar to that of a Lexus ES 350, a car that almost put me to sleep when I test drove it a few years ago.

The fit and finish is excellent and definitely a step above the E90. I'd rate the stock E90 stereo as a 3/10 (I'm very fussy) and the F30 at 5-6/30, so definitely an improvement. I upgrade all of my cars' stereos, so I am basing this observation on memory. I like the remote's trunk opening feature, but couldn't BMW have included a closing feature as is evident on the X3 (oops...straying from the topic)?

I am searching for a solution to the handling issues and will hopefully get that resolved shortly. Whether it's going to be tires, shocks, springs or sway bars, I don't know. BMW offered to put in the M suspension (shocks and springs) for a mere $4,000......that ain't gonna happen, but I will keep on reading this forum and hopefully come up with a definitive solution (or improvement) for significantly less than that.

Gas consumption (Imperial gallons): The E90 averages 25 MPG in the city and 35-37 MPG on the highway. The F30 gets 29 MPG in the city and well over 40 MPG on the highway. I drove 335 highway miles recently in ECO mode at 120 km/hr. (74.57 MPH) with the A/C on and the Stop/Start feature disabled. I got an amazing 47 MPG! I have no complaints about that!

I hope that I've been of help....

Roberta
This review perfectly shows how perceptions vary. The poster says that the F30 fit and finish is a step above the E90 while many here say otherwise.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:48 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand I appreciate the added refinement of the F30, on the other I appreciate the E90 having an I6 all around. My main beef regarding the F30 is that as a car that's ultimately about more "refinement" than the E90, it would have been nice for BMW to truly showcase that inside the car where the F30's biggest faults lie (interior). The drive of the F30 I think is superb and overall dynamically I'd rather have one than the E90 as the F30 simply *drives* more refined and luxuriously. And I for one think that it carries over distinct BMW driver-to-road connections well enough considering the added drive coddling (again, I wish interior coddling would be added to that).

We get this kicking and screaming on the F10 boards, but one thing the F10 has going for it is an unquestioned, vast refinement/luxury/high-class edge over the E60 it replaced. The interior alone appears and feels several generations newer to me. At the same time, the F10 went much further above from the E60 in weighted/coddling/luxury drive than the F30 did the E90. Which also means the F10 sacrifices more brute-connectivity to the road from the E60 than the F30 does from the E90 (which despite what many purists feel, I believe is a great thing for the segment the F10 is in, as it goes up several notches from the E60 in "high-classness" and pure luxury). I also believe the F30 did a great thing considering the segment it is in, as it caters to more needs than going all-out in just one, and it didn't get much if any heavier than the E90, and didn't go from Yin to Yang. It simply dialed back in one aspect to heavy up on another, yet not fully sacrificing on any.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Last edited by K-A; 07-08-2013 at 05:54 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:48 AM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
I don't think price has anything to do with it. I could of bought 2 F30's with the price I paid for my M3. It's that BMW screwed up the BMW 'feel' and is now trying to be what Lexus used to be.
I agree that the 'feel' went too far overboard towards road forgiveness and away from road ownership, but the point that many miss is this:

The 5 is the new 7.

The 3 is the new 5.

The 1 is the new 3 and the 1 hasn't been released yet.

What we have here is a three-year strategy by BMW to realign its offerings with its userbase. Instead of starting with the 1 Sedan as an edgy racer wannabe for 20-somethings they started with the 5 and the 3 for the 40-somethings. Its a sequencing problem, nothing more.

Had the Beatles jumped from A Hard Day's Night to Sgt. Pepper without Rubber Soul in the middle, people would be saying the same thing. Give BMW another year, all this "they've abandoned the enthusiasts and are out of their minds sniff sniff" stuff will end. The 1 Sedan will be an E36 reborn, everyone will be thrilled, and it won't sell well because there aren't enough enthusiasts out there to begin with which is the problem you all face but fail to realize.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 07-08-2013 at 06:49 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bratters123 View Post
Once 2 & 3 year old CPO F30's become affordable to the F30 knockers they will all mysteriously disappear.
Spot on.

For some strange reason, a lot of 19-25 year olds are attracted to $50,000 German luxury cars designed for 35-60 year olds and then they resent the very group that the car was designed for. If they don't like the badge whoring and don't like the strategy, hello, stop buying them. A brand new juiced Civic can be had for the same money as a used 3 Series, buy the car you want that was designed for your age group already, stop whining about a car designed for your dad and crying about how it doesn't meet your needs. It's not supposed to meet your needs.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 07-08-2013, 07:42 AM
puppet master

Mein Auto: E92 335i M Sport
Quote:
I agree that the 'feel' went too far overboard towards road forgiveness and away from road ownership, but the point that many miss is this:

The 5 is the new 7.

The 3 is the new 5.

The 1 is the new 3 and the 1 hasn't been released yet.

What we have here is a three-year strategy by BMW to realign its offerings with its userbase. Instead of starting with the 1 Sedan as an edgy racer wannabe for 20-somethings they started with the 5 and the 3 for the 40-somethings. Its a sequencing problem, nothing more.

Had the Beatles jumped from A Hard Day's Night to Sgt. Pepper without Rubber Soul in the middle, people would be saying the same thing. Give BMW another year, all this "they've abandoned the enthusiasts and are out of their minds sniff sniff" stuff will end. The 1 Sedan will be an E36 reborn, everyone will be thrilled, and it won't sell well because there aren't enough enthusiasts out there to begin with which is the problem you all face but fail to realize.

BJ

This is the most sensible analogy that I have seen so far, and I have felt that this is perhaps BMW's new strategy myself. The 1 series is the 'new 3 series', and the BMW line-up has grown up.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:41 AM
Re-Badged

Quote:
Spot on.

For some strange reason, a lot of 19-25 year olds are attracted to $50,000 German luxury cars designed for 35-60 year olds and then they resent the very group that the car was designed for. If they don't like the badge whoring and don't like the strategy, hello, stop buying them. A brand new juiced Civic can be had for the same money as a used 3 Series, buy the car you want that was designed for your age group already, stop whining about a car designed for your dad and crying about how it doesn't meet your needs. It's not supposed to meet your needs.

BJ
I'm very passionate about the BMW brand, hence why I use to work for them. BMW use to have a morals, having a sporting character, but they've just thrown that into the trash.
Quote:

Last edited by -=Hot|Ice=-; 07-09-2013 at 01:02 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 540i Sport (E39)
Cant deny that F30 looks miles better than that E90.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:01 AM
Re-Badged

In due time, once BMW fixes the electric steering and the body roll, the F30 is back in it.
Quote:
Old 07-09-2013, 03:59 AM

Quote:
I'm very passionate about the BMW brand, hence why I use to work for them. BMW use to have a morals, having a sporting character, but they've just thrown that into the trash.
In a tough economy luxury car makers get pinched. And BMW, unlike everyone else, doesn't have a low-end brand to benefit. Acura can slide but Honda will be okay. Audi can fall but Volkswagen will be strong. Lexus can have an off year but Toyota will come through.

BMW and Mercedes-Benz sit out there alone. In this type of economy and with baby boomers getting much older, they had no choice but to knock themselves off. With the 320i and 4 Series and the GT and Gran Coupe's, and X1, and the 1 Sedan, BMW will have nearly doubled the size of its offerings in under four years. Instead of making them "BMW lights" like Nissan to Infiniti, they just made them "BMW's".

Quote:
In due time, once BMW fixes the electric steering and the body roll, the F30 is back in it.
I've got a set of Sport line springs and I'm desperately waiting on Turner to release its sway bar. That should fix me up just fine.

BJ

Old 07-09-2013, 05:05 AM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
Quote:
In a context of no dominating owner, BMW shareholders don't care much about it and none of them has >50%. They want infinite growth, financial numbers that beats the next competitor even if that means prostitution. Otherwise the managers will just be replaced.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto: 01 M5, 08 535xit
Just in case anyone was wondering:

The e46 ZHP dominates the e90 in terms of connectedness, interior design, and road feel
The e36 328is dominates the e46 330i in terms of steering feel and road connectedness
The e30 crushes the e36 in terms of classic german build quality, road feel, 3-box design

The e21 doesn't crush any of them.