Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 07-29-2013, 05:26 PM
some kid

Mein Auto: whiny 318
Yeah, I really love using my gasless HF welder. Can't do anything crazy with it, but I've welded some tricycle frames and they've held up fine.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:40 PM
some kid

Ugh, some annoying realizations today. Went to put in the front struts, and the 96+ strut hats add too much caster, so the non-M control arms don't match up. Alright, I'll just get 95 M3 strut mounts. Nope, also different control arms. OK, I'll just put some non-M strut hats onto the struts and use my existing control arms. Nope, springs are different. Ok, I'll just get some non-M springs and sell the M3 ones. Nope, spring perch on the struts is a different diameter.

Dammit BMW. I don't understand why they couldn't make a single diameter spring for the E36 chassis.

Now I'm looking at buying 96+ M3 control arms or swapping the strut inserts into non-m bodies and getting non-m springs. My control arms are brand new Lemforders. Would hate to give those up. But it seems easier than swapping everything else.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Bad Luck 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj.surr View Post
Ugh, some annoying realizations today. Went to put in the front struts, and the 96+ strut hats add too much caster, so the non-M control arms don't match up. Alright, I'll just get 95 M3 strut mounts. Nope, also different control arms. OK, I'll just put some non-M strut hats onto the struts and use my existing control arms. Nope, springs are different. Ok, I'll just get some non-M springs and sell the M3 ones. Nope, spring perch on the struts is a different diameter.

Dammit BMW. I don't understand why they couldn't make a single diameter spring for the E36 chassis.

Now I'm looking at buying 96+ M3 control arms or swapping the strut inserts into non-m bodies and getting non-m springs. My control arms are brand new Lemforders. Would hate to give those up. But it seems easier than swapping everything else.

I know that feel bro.

Theres like 4 different brake ducts/ fender linings for the e46.

You'll find something like always

-Dino
Old 07-29-2013, 07:33 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Quote:
Yeah, I really love using my gasless HF welder. Can't do anything crazy with it, but I've welded some tricycle frames and they've held up fine.
Aluminum is a really great heat conductor (as you now know first hand) and that makes it very challenging to gas weld. Very hard to get the concentrated heat with a torch. Challenge number two is that aluminum oxidizes instantly when exposed to oxygen The alumiweld rods have a chemical coating that supposedly generates a non-oxidizing gas blanket at the weld point but it's so thin that it's not very effective. Just the convection from the heat of welding can carry it away. You can try ghetto heliarc with your HF welder. You need a tank of balloon helium and a nozzle. You aim a flow of helium across the arc from your HF welder and it's a form of heliarc welding. It's not very efficient but for a one time repair it might do the job.....
Old 07-29-2013, 07:39 PM

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
yeah, i tried the alumiweld rods, too....didn't work too well. brazing may have been easier for me to do.

that being said, it's ok for metal filler i would suppose. it does melt and run (sorta) like solder. i still have a bunch left as i only used maybe 3 rods during my initial attempt with them.

if i ever get feelin kinda crazy, i may just put one of them in my arc welder....

instant puddle of metal, anyone??

most vo-tech schools have a welding program and could probably do the repair for cheap or even free (minus materials), so i would check there as well.

df
Old 07-29-2013, 07:49 PM
some kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
Aluminum is a really great heat conductor (as you now know first hand) and that makes it very challenging to gas weld. Very hard to get the concentrated heat with a torch. Challenge number two is that aluminum oxidizes instantly when exposed to oxygen The alumiweld rods have a chemical coating that supposedly generates a non-oxidizing gas blanket at the weld point but it's so thin that it's not very effective. Just the convection from the heat of welding can carry it away. You can try ghetto heliarc with your HF welder. You need a tank of balloon helium and a nozzle. You aim a flow of helium across the arc from your HF welder and it's a form of heliarc welding. It's not very efficient but for a one time repair it might do the job.....
Wow, this sounds really ghetto. Even for me!

That way sounds pretty difficult to be honest. I doubt I have enough skill to make a decent weld that way. I emailed a couple welders on craigslist. Hopefully one of them will do it cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinfaster View Post
yeah, i tried the alumiweld rods, too....didn't work too well. brazing may have been easier for me to do.

that being said, it's ok for metal filler i would suppose. it does melt and run (sorta) like solder. i still have a bunch left as i only used maybe 3 rods during my initial attempt with them.

if i ever get feelin kinda crazy, i may just put one of them in my arc welder....

instant puddle of metal, anyone??

most vo-tech schools have a welding program and could probably do the repair for cheap or even free (minus materials), so i would check there as well.

df
I'm just not sure how to figure out who to contact at one of those schools?

Old 07-29-2013, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
usually one of the instructors will be able to inform you as to how to go about submitting something like that for studdent repair. a lot of times there are forms to fill out regarding liability and damages and such.

df
Old 07-29-2013, 11:06 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Quote:
Alright, I'll just get 95 M3 strut mounts. Nope, also different control arms.
Hey CJ, I'm running '95 upper strut mounts on regular non-M control arms with '95 offset FCABs. My geometry is perfect.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Old 07-30-2013, 02:50 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Quote:
Wow, this sounds really ghetto. Even for me!

That way sounds pretty difficult to be honest. I doubt I have enough skill to make a decent weld that way. I emailed a couple welders on craigslist. Hopefully one of them will do it cheap.

I'm just not sure how to figure out who to contact at one of those schools?
Here's a school in Bristol CT. http://www.cttech.org/bristol/techno...ng/welding.htm
Old 07-30-2013, 06:00 AM
some kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
Hey CJ, I'm running '95 upper strut mounts on regular non-M control arms with '95 offset FCABs. My geometry is perfect.
Hmm.... Maybe it's because you have offset FCABs? I have centered ones...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
Thanks

Old 07-30-2013, 06:16 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
Oh god ... Now we're welding ?????

Please please don't get me started

Lol
Tig= gas tungsten arc welding . A non consumable process (a different beast)

Stick= shelded metal arc welding ( farm welding)
Mig= gas metal arc welding ( most common for production and want to be welders)

My recommendation : just because u can stick two peices of metal together doesn't make u a welder

Seek professional class Time

Don't go welding suspension parts together until ur 100% sure in what ur doing

"Burning 2nd is a lot like vitamin tonic. Overly harsh, tastes like crap, but somewhere in all that there's good intent......just have to learn to read between the lines, actually you have to squint really hard to see the good, but its there somewhere"

Last edited by Burning2nd; 07-30-2013 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:16 AM
Under the lift arms

Gtaw
Smaw
Gmaw
Fcaw

Best welding school o the east coast

Wtti
Welder training and testin institute in Bethlehem pa

"Burning 2nd is a lot like vitamin tonic. Overly harsh, tastes like crap, but somewhere in all that there's good intent......just have to learn to read between the lines, actually you have to squint really hard to see the good, but its there somewhere"

Last edited by Burning2nd; 07-30-2013 at 06:18 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:07 AM
some kid

Re: S52, now with more snail

Doh, this was an easier fix than I thought. All I needed to do was keep the 96+ strut hat and swap the non-m mount on

Also, I called that tech school in Bristol, but I would have to wait until school was in session in the fall.

Sent from my SCH-I405
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1375193219129.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	389091  

Last edited by cj.surr; 07-30-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:59 AM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Quote:
Hmm.... Maybe it's because you have offset FCABs? I have centered ones...

Thanks
Yes, it comes down to the FCABs. I first ran offset FCABs on non-M strut mounts & control arms. My wheels were a little bit forward in the wheel well, but not by much - no rubbing at all. When I upgraded my suspension, I switched to '95 M3 upper strut mounts, which then put the wheels exactly where they need to be when used in conjunction with the offset FCABs. If you were to use '96-99 upper strut mounts, you would want centered FCABs, and I believe you would have no trouble using stock non-M control arms.

If you use centered non-M upper strut mounts with centered FCABs and non-M control arms, your geometry will be fine - the same as all non-M cars. You just won't have the extra caster that M-cars do, which isn't a big deal.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback

Last edited by ZeGerman; 07-30-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:30 AM
some kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
Yes, it comes down to the FCABs. I first ran offset FCABs on non-M strut mounts & control arms. My wheels were a little bit forward in the wheel well, but not by much - no rubbing at all. When I upgraded my suspension, I switched to '95 M3 upper strut mounts, which then put the wheels exactly where they need to be when used in conjunction with the offset FCABs. If you were to use '96-99 upper strut mounts, you would want centered FCABs, and I believe you would have no trouble using stock non-M control arms.

If you use centered non-M upper strut mounts with centered FCABs and non-M control arms, your geometry will be fine - the same as all non-M cars. You just won't have the extra caster that M-cars do, which isn't a big deal.
This is not true. That's what I tried, and the balljoint sits very far behind the spindle. That's why the 96+ M3's have different (longer) control arms.

You're right about the rest. I'm not really concerned about the lack of caster. I'd rather have quicker turn-in than high speed stability.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Bad Luck 46

Wait what did you end up getting for suspension?

Ps, you were right about those radiator caps. My sister bought some weird rad but it fit

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

-Dino
Old 07-30-2013, 08:09 PM
some kid

M3 konis with h&r sport. Trying to swap the springs for Race ones.

Sent from my SCH-I405

Old 07-30-2013, 09:20 PM
Old Soul

Mein Auto: '96 328is
Is there any way to not have Burning2nd's posts show up. Ever?

Old 07-30-2013, 09:28 PM
some kid

Yeah I was thinking about that...

Old 07-30-2013, 10:50 PM
Old Soul

Mein Auto: '96 328is
Killer! Thanks!

Old 07-31-2013, 02:29 AM
Under the lift arms

lol cant even handle being told the truth

Old 07-31-2013, 06:15 AM
I bleed Orange.

Mein Auto: 1996 316i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning2nd View Post
lol cant even handle being told the truth
People tend to take "the truth" a lot better when you're not a complete Deutschbag about it.

John Moses Browning isn't God, but when God needs a firearm, he's the go-to guy.
ROCKY TOP, you'll always be...home sweet home to me....Good ol' Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee!!!
Old 07-31-2013, 06:32 AM
Under the lift arms

Ok ... You tend to be talked at little bit more respectfully when your nose isn't pointed at the sky

Keep in mind that other people are on the road as well

So if you choose to be a back yard weekend warrior do that **** somewhere else where people don't have there kids In the car

I just can't get it how this particular section of the fourm is full of dh's grammar nazis and stuck up a holes

It's a fking e36 not a race car

Old 07-31-2013, 06:36 AM
still learnin'

Mein Auto: 1998 328i / 99 540iA
Awesome! Now I just see "this message is hidden because Burning2nd is on your ignore list"

/day made.
Patrick ///04 330i ZHP///BMWCCA#465139

99 540i TiAg
98 328i hellrot (sold)
96 318iC black (sold)
Old 07-31-2013, 07:04 AM
Under the lift arms

this message is hidden because Burning2nd is on your ignore list

nice add another to the denied list