Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
Longest lasting "hard metal" rotors and pads?

Does anyone know of "hard metal" rotors and pads that will last the longest?

OEM rotors and pads are considered soft metal which allow sporty performance, but do not last long.

I have a 2008 X5 3.0si.
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockChips View Post
Does anyone know of .... rotors and pads that will last the longest?
yes, ANY pad and rotor my wife drives....
Old 07-09-2013, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Pads and Rotors

You might try www.hawkpadsdirect.com . They have a pretty good selection at reasonable prices. I have a set of their drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads...no brake dust...on my 3 conv and love them. I have a 2013 X5 and waiting for them to update their inventory to include it. Good luck.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbracy View Post
You might try www.hawkpadsdirect.com . They have a pretty good selection at reasonable prices. I have a set of their drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads...no brake dust...on my 3 conv and love them. I have a 2013 X5 and waiting for them to update their inventory to include it. Good luck.
Nothing for X5 or at least 2008 X5....
I put ceramics on the rear. Pep boys top of line ceramics. Doing the fronts the same in 2800 miles.
No dust and no noticeable difference in performance.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:04 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Longest hard metal rotors and pads....never heard of them.

Advice if you care:
1) The hardest rotors you can get are the OE from the stealership. They are designed to give you max life. To make it perfect get the OE pads. And that will assure you longest pad life not factoring in abusive braking habits.

2) Dont go cross-drilled (they are prone to cracking). They dont serve any purpose on this vehicle, and you cannot resurface them (if you are into that instead of buying new rotors each change).

3) Slotted. Only go for cryo slotted rotors if you need the extra bite. Regular slotted will be higher risk when it comes to cracking.

4) Slotted rotors and x drilled rotors at pads like no other. Thus unless you like changing your brakes frequently then stay away. Plain rotors will be perfect.

5) If you want more bite, check out Hawk Pads and EBC pads. They are two top notch brands to improve stopping performance. I believe EBC redstuff is an OEM for certain BMW brakes. Do note Hawk pads are synonmous for brake squeal, but give awesome performance.

6) If you want low brake dust try akebonos. They sacrifice a tid bit of brake performance, but offer really low brake dust.

7) Always try to recognize what you want out of your brakes. Dont run HIGH PERF. TRACK PADs on a street SAV. theres absolutely no purpose, and track pads tend to have poor cold performance initially, and then as they warm up become extremely touchy.

8) Try to match rotors with pads. IF you cheap out on the rotors, and splurge on high performance pads, thats a recipe for a faster than usual next brake job as the rotors probably wont hold up very long.

9) BREAK in the pads and rotors properly to maximize longevity.

G lUCK!

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 07-10-2013, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 5 3.5d
Cool

I recently put stoptech slotted rotors and hawk ceramics on all four corners of my X5D. No brake dust, no squealing, and very little difference in braking performance. Very pleased. I was so fed up with the brake dust. Autobrake web site will take care of you, ask for Sean. I actually got the hawk ceramics at another site, but was not pleased with there overall service. But hawk does have front ceramics now for the X5. Good luck!
Old 07-10-2013, 03:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
okay, how about cheapest rotors and pads?
Old 07-10-2013, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 5 3.5d
Cool

I got all four rotors for under $600. Very good price compared to OEM and other after market products. The pads under $200. Do not forget sensor cables.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:46 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
If you want cheap, which I dont recommend especially with Brakes you can try and get everything for $400+shipping+sensors.
Rock auto!

But I wouldnt expect the works on that budget lol

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!