Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 07-07-2013, 08:30 AM

Mein Auto: 1994 bmw 530I
NO SPARK! Engine always cranks but doesn't always start

Good Morning to All!

Just joined today. Need you guys/gals help!! I was warned about 3 months ago...Car would always start up, but at red light would sometimes shut off..but crank right back up. Earlier this week though car ran sluggish while driving, and next morning wouldnt start. Had it towed to a mom/pop auto shop and he said he didnt have the equipment to diagnose the problem. So I called triple A another time (this time the keys were left in the ignition for 5 min ride to another shop. We get there and the car cranks right up. Mechanic says let the car run for awhile and see wat happens...car runs fine. Turn engine off a dozen times starts right up...so that night I had a date that went well and 4got all about it. In the morning it stalls few times and then starts..I take her home and then come back home and thats last time it started. Its been 2 days! I ordered the crank position sensor for delivery tomorrow. I have changed spark plugs about 8 months ago, fuel filter about 3 months ago. Stomp test DOES NOT WORK. I think my cpu is out of whack..shows -35 for the temp.

I just started a really good job and wanted to put some money into the car eventually, but right now I don't have it. Any suggestion/ideas are welcomed. Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image07072013111151.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	385477  
Ads by Google
Old 07-07-2013, 08:52 AM
Humble E34 lover

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Welcome to the Fest. When you say that the stomp test does not work, do you mean that your check engine light does not light up (for example, when the key is turned to position 2 just before cranking the engine over)? If it comes on with the key in position 2, then your stomp test should work. If the CEL light does not light up in position 2, then the bulb itself could be burned out.

If the CEL does come on, shoot a video of your attempts to get the stomp test to work. It can be a little daunting at first. We have helped a lot of people see where they were doing it a little incorrectly.

The CPS is a very common fail item on these cars. Most of the time when it fails, there is just a sudden and unending no-start. Sometimes it can manifest like yours.

FYI, the -35 on the temp display just means that the outdoor temp sensor is either faulty or just disconnected. That has no bearing on your DME.

Good luck. Let us know how the CPS does and shoot that vid for us

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 07-07-2013, 09:21 AM

Cel does not come on Ever.

I always wondered why the owner was so motivated to get rid of the car..like he stole it lol. Me being the idiot buyer..failed to realize that car had no AC (it was mid march last year). All in all I cant complain other than normal oil changes and 500 bucks I put into it for coolant leak (I believe it was temp sensor and water pump/gasket and bla bla). Mechanic seems to think the leak before has damaged the sensor...but he is not 100% SURE. I cant upload video from my phone for some reason. The video shows on far left that check engine light never comes on. I had to squint to even find where it is.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Humble E34 lover

Perhaps you can see if anyone in your area has a scanner that will work on your car (OBDI). It would be great to see if you have any error codes stored.

You can check the resistance of the CPS at the connector. The Bentley manual had a misprint on the specs. The Bentley shows that it should be 1280 +/- 10%. However, the correct spec is 540 +/- 10%.

However, since you have already ordered the CPS, I would go ahead and replace it once it comes in.

Good luck.

Quote:
Steve

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 07-07-2013, 09:32 AM

Thanks

Oh I forgot that windows are bit funny too. At first they won't go up then after bout minute they finally respond and go up very slowly. Not sure if this is bcuz of some error code?? Honestly I am lost. Thanks for your help though..I cant afford to go to the BMW dealership at moment so I gotta check other avenues.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1995 525i
Re: NO SPARK! Engine always cranks but doesn't always start

You are most likely loosing fuel pressure . That's why it doesn't stall when ur car has ran a while . I would let them check for fuel pressure and making sure that it holds at spec ... Just my 2 cents and welcome to the fest
Noel

Sent from my Desire HD using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-07-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertech777 View Post
You are most likely loosing fuel pressure . That's why it doesn't stall when ur car has ran a while . I would let them check for fuel pressure and making sure that it holds at spec ... Just my 2 cents and welcome to the fest
Noel

So how do you fix fuel pressure? I hope this sensor fixes the problem..by the time I get home..my mechanic will be gone. I wonder how difficult it is 2 put on crank sensor??
Old 07-07-2013, 05:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1995 525i
Re: NO SPARK! Engine always cranks but doesn't always start

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralnj View Post
So how do you fix fuel pressure? I hope this sensor fixes the problem..by the time I get home..my mechanic will be gone. I wonder how difficult it is 2 put on crank sensor??
Before you go for a fix , like I said let your mechanic check for fuel pressure , ideally leave it with him overnight while its hooked up to a fuel pressure guage , eliminate the obvious and go from there . There will be a few culprits that would make u lose fuel pressure so rather than throwing parts at a problem have it diagnosed properly first . There are a lot of experienced guys here . And u already have met one of them like bmr_lvr .
Noel

Old 07-08-2013, 04:09 PM

ROLLINg

Goldie is back in Action! Thanks guys. Mechanic put on Cran sensor in about 10 minutes. She fired right up afterwards. I am goin replace cramshaft sensor too (if it goes bad the car may shut off at red lights..while idling, etc). Thanks for help!
Old 07-08-2013, 05:07 PM
Humble E34 lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralnj View Post
Goldie is back in Action! Thanks guys. Mechanic put on Cran sensor in about 10 minutes. She fired right up afterwards. I am goin replace cramshaft sensor too (if it goes bad the car may shut off at red lights..while idling, etc). Thanks for help!
Bravo

The only thing that would have made it better is if you had DIY

Quote:
Steve

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold