Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 07-07-2013, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
X3 won't Crank

I have 2007 BMW X 3, which won't start. When I insert key into ignition and turn right all the way the engine is not starting.

1)Two weeks back I had same problem. However, the engine started after 2nd or 3rd try. I ignored that I have issue.
2)After few days same problem. Now, I thought it is a battery problem. I took it to the Auto Parts shop. They tested battery and said the battery has good life. The original battery generally lasts for 10 years?
3)I called my local mechanic. He said he does not work on BMWs as they are special.
4)Now the situation is the car will not start at all.
5) Could it be still battery issue? Or, the starter or some electric wiring or whatever else??????
6) Any suggestions where to get this fixed and how much would it cost? I live in Herndon, VA (northern VA)

Thanks to all for looking and helping.
Ads by Google
Old 07-07-2013, 10:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3
It sounds like the battery. They usually last about 5 - 6 years. It seems like odd electrical gremlins may appear before the battery dies. Your X3 is 6 years old, so it is about time for a new battery.

You can do a search on here for "battery" and will find a ton of information.

I replaced the battery in my 2008 a few months ago as a preventive measure. This does not need to be a dealer installation. Newer generation BMWs need to have their systems reset to recognize a new battery, but this is not the case for the e46 based electronics in the e83 X3. (It seems there is always a debate on this. But, I've replaced my own battery without any issues. And interestingly enough, the radio maintained the programmed stations. I just had to reset the clock.)

A battery should cost you under $230. I think I got an H8 AGM battery from Advance Auto with a 20% coupon for around $160. To me, for around $200 this is definetely worth doing. I would start with replacing the battery, then move on from there if that did not remedy the problem.

Regarding repair shops in NOVA, are you a member of the BMW CCA National Chapter? In their puplications and maybe on the website there are a number of BMW (non-dealer) repair shops that advertise. Look for an online copy of der Bayerische (BMW NCCA)

http://nccbmwcca.org/content.php?127-der-Bayerische

BMW CCA #422951

Last edited by al_macaroni; 07-07-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnshah View Post
I have 2007 BMW X 3, which won't start. When I insert key into ignition and turn right all the way the engine is not starting.
Might be best to clarify first as there is a difference between:

- cranking but not starting (starter motor turning engine over but it's not catching/firing)

- not cranking (key turned but nothing happening at all)

In either case the battery could be the problem, but only in the 2nd. case could the starter motor be the problem, along with several other possibilities.

In the 1st. case, the speed of cranking would give clues as to the health of the battery.
But failure to start could be any number of fuel/air/ignition problems more so than a weak battery.

If the battery is original, what color is the "magic eye"? Green or black?

Do you use just one key all the time, or a second key occasionally?

Is the car used mainly for short trips?

How many miles on it? Due for new spark plugs?