Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-07-2013, 01:52 PM
Salz und Pfeffer

Mein Auto: 2014 F22 M235i
Tar on the paint finish

I've read the bird poop thread, and already have an etched spot on my trunk that will most probably will have to be wet sanded to get rid off. Now recently I became a victim of tar on my hood. Well the tar was removed, but now there's a greenish mark on my space gray finish.
Any tips on rectifying this?
Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 07-07-2013, 02:45 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
This removes tar without a trace. Not Goo Gone .... Goof Off
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	goof off.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	385537  

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 07-07-2013, 02:53 PM
Salz und Pfeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
This removes tar without a trace. Not Goo Gone .... Goof Off
Thanks Laser, I will try that.
I assume I can pick it up in a local Home Depot.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
What did you use to get the tar off? Bug and Tar remover will remove it also - available at any auto parts store or a light solvent like mineral spirits that won't hurt the finish. Whatever you use, just either wash the car after or clean with some water to remove the solvent residue and you will need to reapply any wax or sealant as any of these products will remove that also.

Last edited by roadkillrob; 07-07-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:03 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Tarminator

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video: https://vimeo.com/60051914
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 07-07-2013, 04:40 PM
Salz und Pfeffer

Unfortunately goof-off didn't help
It looks like it stained the clear coat permanently.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	385549  
Old 07-08-2013, 01:00 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Hmm. I like 3M general purpose adhesive remover, I almost consider it a must have (tar, wheel weight adhesive, reflector adhesive, cosmoline, whatever), but if goof off didn't do anything, I guess this might not either. (Always be careful on plastic, and in general I like to spray directly into a piece of surgical huck cloth.)

But I guess I would try polishing with your favorite type of cloth and finger, aggressive compound (M105, M101) and see how quickly it improves. If quickly, I bet it comes right out, if not, then... I might contact a reputable detailer, or otherwise possibly invest in a PTG. (I consider this a must have, but that's because sometimes I'm detailing quite a bit.) Between the etching on the trunk, this new thing on the hood, other issues in the future for any and all cars you care for, it's something you might consider, a decent one can be had starting at $200. Just keep remeasuring as you polish. I took out a couple of very large scratches on a jet black 5er recently, I probably only took off 1 micron or so, maybe a touch more. On the other hand, even more recently I took off half of a bird poo etch on a brand new Prius hood, and two microns disappeared with only very little finger rubbing (for perspective, the BMW was with my more powerful of two machines, max speed at 5 digit OPM, high pressure, most aggressive compound I had at the time), and the spot on this Prius hood is already super thin to begin with (ball park 89-92). Anyway, the below is only for metal panels, only reads overall thickness, you'd need a very pricey ultrasound unit to read on plastic, carbon fiber, and/or distinguish how much of the paint is clearcoat. General idea is that 80 microns is where the basecoat starts, but that is very general, some paint out there isn't even that thick even when including the clear (Mazda). $200 is not chump change, but if you save yourself from one clearcoat failure you already paid it off and then some. It's not like a job from a reputable detailer is much cheaper either.

http://www.highlinemeter.com/

Last edited by Ilovemycar; 07-08-2013 at 01:01 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-08-2013, 01:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
A good polish will take that out. Start with something mild, then go more aggressive if your confident.

Remember, let the polish do the work! Don't apply too much pressure or you'll do more damage!

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 07-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Salz und Pfeffer

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I will take the car in to a detailer to see what he can do for a reasonable price, it's just I know as soon as take care of that there will be another bird bomb on it.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:47 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqaddict View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I will take the car in to a detailer to see what he can do for a reasonable price, it's just I know as soon as take care of that there will be another bird bomb on it.
Yeah, that's what would be nice about having the PTG, because it's only a matter of time I guess. Anyway, I would maybe send this thread by PM to phil@detailersdomain.com, he looks to be around 25 miles from you, here is his contact info page here.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/member.php?u=110403

If you never hang out in the detailing forums, he is our sponsor, and has countless pictorials if you want to see some of his work. I'm sure there are other detailers that are reputable near you, but at least you have one trustworthy place for now. And I'm positive he would have the super fancy pants clearcoat reading multi-thousand $ PTG too. Some might say that the UV inhibitors rest in the top 1/4 or so of the clear, but I'm sure he'd know better anyway. This is JMO, but I would only want proven, reputable detailers doing what you want here, and I would pay for that confidence. OTOH, even the most famous guys sometimes won't touch certain things, even if they're 99% sure it would be fine, because of that 1% risk, but this is just my semi-educated *opinion*. I'm curious what your chosen detailer says about this stain.

Last edited by Ilovemycar; 07-08-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:39 PM
Salz und Pfeffer

Tar on the paint finish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
Yeah, that's what would be nice about having the PTG, because it's only a matter of time I guess. Anyway, I would maybe send this thread by PM to phil@detailersdomain.com, he looks to be around 25 miles from you, here is his contact info page here.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/member.php?u=110403

If you never hang out in the detailing forums, he is our sponsor, and has countless pictorials if you want to see some of his work. I'm sure there are other detailers that are reputable near you, but at least you have one trustworthy place for now. And I'm positive he would have the super fancy pants clearcoat reading multi-thousand $ PTG too. Some might say that the UV inhibitors rest in the top 1/4 or so of the clear, but I'm sure he'd know better anyway. This is JMO, but I would only want proven, reputable detailers doing what you want here, and I would pay for that confidence. OTOH, even the most famous guys sometimes won't touch certain things, even if they're 99% sure it would be fine, because of that 1% risk, but this is just my semi-educated *opinion*. I'm curious what your chosen detailer says about this stain.
Thanks again I will contact Phill to see what can be done about this, my trunk bird poop etch and a few other areas.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app