Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 07-07-2013, 07:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X5 3.0i
Red Battery Light, 4x4 Light On. Car barely starts

2004 X5 3.0i

Just replaced battery less than 2 weeks ago. All indicators were off on dashboard until a few days ago when I was driving and red battery light came on. As I was driving car began to shut off and got back home by the skin of my teeth before car died.

I did some research on this site as well as the web and see it could be an alternator issue. Some questions arise.

Is there really a difference between a new OEM Bosch alternator and other brands?
Does it make sense or possible to get a new alternator with 120 amps or is it in my best interest to spend a little more for 140 amps?
What would be a realistic time for a mechanic to do the job on replacing the alternator? I've read between 2-3 hours...

Just trying to gauge what labor cost would be for the job since I've never made a repair like this and have little experience negotiating labor costs with an auto repair shop and don't want to walk in wet behind the ears to be taken advantage of.

Appreciate any advice, guidance and experiences.
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2013, 07:43 PM

How would I know if the entire alternator doesn't need to be replaced but just to replace the voltage regulator on the alternator?
Old 07-08-2013, 05:00 PM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
I just replaced the alternator on my wife's X5 @ 126k miles. I bought a new 120amp Valeo from Max at www.oembimmerparts.com
(some 01 X5 used Bosch, others used Valeo).

Labor is somewhere around 3 hours if you have an automatic. A fair number of bits need to be removed to get to it.
I dont trust rebuilt alternators (Autozone, etc). A couple places sell the voltage regulators, but I have never rebuilt one for an M54 engine, so I cant comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:21 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Have you ever heard of Visteon brand. Mechanic said its a 120 brand new amp with lifetime warranty. Also it has an OEM number on it...at least that what the mechanic said as well.

Should I feel suspect about this particular make?
Old 07-09-2013, 05:43 AM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Never heard of it, but Google says it's an OEM for Ford. A brand new Valeo or Bosch is about $300 if that helps in the comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.