Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 07-08-2013, 09:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1994 525it
sway bar links

There is a "clunk' in the front end when the car hits a bump. it is audible a slow speeds.
The upper and lower control arms are only a couple of years old or less.
My research has me thinking sway bar links.
One boot is torn.
I put the car up on ramps and tried to move the links.
There is no movement. Does this mean that they are good?
What is the proper test for front and rear sway bar links?
Ads by Google
Old 07-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '91 535i 5-spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrick
What is the proper test for front and rear sway bar links?
Fronts: Stand alongside the car at the wheel well, take one hand using an open grip and hold underneath the fender lip while placing the other hand firmly on the hood. Using your entire body weight and legs "pump" the corner of the car up and down while you listen for knocking....especially with someone listening from inside the cabin.

Rears: The links use rubber bushings instead of ball joints requiring only a visual inspection for tearing / splitting.

As far as other sources of mysterious, slow-speed front end noise...if you hear a nice strong metallic "ping" while backing out in the morning or during hard braking over bumps, and the car has had previous strut maintenance, double check the assembly of the strut (spring orientation, integrity of the spring pads, coil rub, bearing plate, and underneath the top nut).

Last edited by Radian; 07-08-2013 at 05:36 PM.