Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Mk23's Avatar
Mk23 Mk23 is offline
Corner Carving Addict
Location: Central Florida
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,274
Mein Auto: 09 - 335i E92
Removing sunroof to replace trim/felt. Any help?

Anyone know much about removing the sunroof? Looking to replace my badly faded trim around the exterior of the sunroof glass. Was told I would have to remove the sunroof to replace it. Dealership wanted $350 for it to be replaced when the trim piece itself costs $78. Figured I might could do it myself if I could find some info or a DIY on it. Any help?
__________________
09 - 335i E92 / Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown / Dark Burl / Step / Comfort Access / Rear Sunshade / Heated Seats / PDC / iDrive / Sat. Radio / iPod & USB / Prem Pkg / Sport Pkg / OEM Alarm / Ventus V12 (Non-RFT) / V1 and other goodies...
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 07-08-2013, 12:34 PM
thekurgan's Avatar
thekurgan thekurgan is offline
Bad Lieutenant
Location: Sacramento, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,534
Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk23 View Post
Anyone know much about removing the sunroof? Looking to replace my badly faded trim around the exterior of the sunroof glass. Was told I would have to remove the sunroof to replace it. Dealership wanted $350 for it to be replaced when the trim piece itself costs $78. Figured I might could do it myself if I could find some info or a DIY on it. Any help?
I'm about to do the same, and I'm going to use this DIY and see how it goes:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=594387
__________________
08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/ZHP knob
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-08-2013, 01:30 PM
fdriller9 fdriller9 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ/Philly
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,949
Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
I've removed sunroof glass before. I need to, to wrap headliners.

First, take note of how the glass sits on in the roof. Remember how far up/low the glass sits in the roof.

Then, tilt the sunroof up, remove the rubber trim pieces on either side of the sunroof. They look like accordions lol. Then you'll have access to 6 torx screws, 3 on either side. I believe they are T25 torx screws, not 100% on that. Try to mark the screw locations with a white out pen or something.

After removing the screws, you can lift the glass out. Don't move the motor or anything once it's out.

To reinstall, just go in the reverse order above. You'll need to play with the screws and placement for a bit to get it back to where it was or else it will not seal.
__________________

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | H&R Coilovers | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine Type-R 1242D | JL 500/1 | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Mk23's Avatar
Mk23 Mk23 is offline
Corner Carving Addict
Location: Central Florida
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,274
Mein Auto: 09 - 335i E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
I'm about to do the same, and I'm going to use this DIY and see how it goes:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=594387
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
I've removed sunroof glass before. I need to, to wrap headliners.

First, take note of how the glass sits on in the roof. Remember how far up/low the glass sits in the roof.

Then, tilt the sunroof up, remove the rubber trim pieces on either side of the sunroof. They look like accordions lol. Then you'll have access to 6 torx screws, 3 on either side. I believe they are T25 torx screws, not 100% on that. Try to mark the screw locations with a white out pen or something.

After removing the screws, you can lift the glass out. Don't move the motor or anything once it's out.

To reinstall, just go in the reverse order above. You'll need to play with the screws and placement for a bit to get it back to where it was or else it will not seal.
Thanks you two! Will have to go ahead and order that gasket. Quick question, is there a way to order the special tools needed to do this job or are there other alternatives to them? I want to make sure and line everything up perfectly as it looks like you have to judge a couple of things distance from other parts.
__________________
09 - 335i E92 / Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown / Dark Burl / Step / Comfort Access / Rear Sunshade / Heated Seats / PDC / iDrive / Sat. Radio / iPod & USB / Prem Pkg / Sport Pkg / OEM Alarm / Ventus V12 (Non-RFT) / V1 and other goodies...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-09-2013, 12:28 PM
fdriller9 fdriller9 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ/Philly
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,949
Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
No problem. You just need torx bits. I think they are T25 but not 100%
__________________

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | H&R Coilovers | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine Type-R 1242D | JL 500/1 | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-20-2013, 12:35 PM
Mk23's Avatar
Mk23 Mk23 is offline
Corner Carving Addict
Location: Central Florida
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,274
Mein Auto: 09 - 335i E92
Just wanted to update this and say that the sunroof came out very easy. Just remove the two accordion looking rubber pieces on both sides (after tilting the sunroof open), then remove the two torx screws on each side. the sunroof slides out very easy after that. didn't even take me 5 mins to take out the sunroof and I had never done it before.

After the sunroof was out I pulled off the old gasket/felt trim and to my relief there was no sealant on the inside and was just held in by the rubber. Though I did have to cut mine as I had a decent amount of slack after it was fitted in all around (and FYI it is a pain to get the gasket pressed in hard enough to stay in all the way around). I cut the gasket down a bit and used a sealant to paste the two end together. was a bit tricky on that part but it turned out well.

Hopefully these three links will help out anyone wanting to attempt this:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=594387

http://forums.5series.net/diy-do-you...nt-diy-132606/

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...41&hg=54&fg=05
__________________
09 - 335i E92 / Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown / Dark Burl / Step / Comfort Access / Rear Sunshade / Heated Seats / PDC / iDrive / Sat. Radio / iPod & USB / Prem Pkg / Sport Pkg / OEM Alarm / Ventus V12 (Non-RFT) / V1 and other goodies...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms