Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-08-2013, 06:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
Review my order

I have found the dealership, negotiated a fair price and made all the decisions on color, trim, etc. Before I place the order this week, I'd love to have feedback from this community on anything I may have missed. Take a look and let me know your thoughts! This is my first bmw and I want to get every detail right.

Euro Delivery
2014 550ix
Alpine White
Mocha Nappa
Anthracite trim
Full leather dash (special order)

Packages and Options:

Msport
Executive
Cold Weather
Driver Assistance Plus (including automatic cruise control)
Luxury Seating
Bang & Olufsen
Dynamic Handling Pkg
LED Lighting
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2013, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i ///M-Sport
Personally, I didnt care for the Anthracite trim. It looks like bamboo....almost stripes. If you like it, keep it.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto: Saab
Nice options.

How much was the leather dash and how did you go about it?
Old 07-08-2013, 07:12 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Have to disagree -- Anthracite trim is the way to go. The stripes are sublte, not like bamboo. Very tasteful, I think it will go well with the new Mocha interior. I've attached some images of Anthracite with my Cinnamon interior.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0027a_sm.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	385759   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0037b_sm.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	385760   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0047b_sm.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	385761   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0047c_sm.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	385762  

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 07-08-2013, 07:24 PM

I love the std wood trim packages, but felt like they were just too common. I like the subtlety of anthracite and the pics of this trim with the mocha leather are sick. Definitely a personal preference thing. I was agonizing between cinnamon brown and black leather until mocha came out. BMW read my mind on the LCI changes...

On the leather dash, shoot me a PM if you're interested in the details. It lists around $1300.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:32 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by yahtzee View Post
Personally, I didnt care for the Anthracite trim. It looks like bamboo....almost stripes. If you like it, keep it.
Disagree. It looks black to me with very subtle stripes.

Great choice all around!
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Have to disagree -- Anthracite trim is the way to go. The stripes are sublte, not like bamboo. Very tasteful, I think it will go well with the new Mocha interior. I've attached some images of Anthracite with my Cinnamon interior.
Love your interior choices!
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:58 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Anthracite is too rich and "depthy" to look like Bamboo to me. And I'm typically not even the biggest dark-wood fan (in cars).

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:59 PM
weissbiermeister

Mein Auto: F355 GTS, '11&'14 535Mspt
any pics of the new Mocha Nappa?

Also wondering if one gets Black or Mocha carpet as I cannot stand BMW's carpet in any color other than Black.
ED#1 '04 M3 Silver-Gray/Black ED'ed 5/04... Munich/Como/Modena/Monaco/Rapallo/Munich
ED#2 '05 M3 Comp. Pkg. Silver-Gray/Black ED'ed 9/05...Munich/F1 Ital. GP/Lugano/Lucerne/F1 Spa-Cologne
ED#3. '14 535i MSport-Carbon/Ivory ED'ed 10/13...Munich, Reutte, Como, Luzern, Zurich
Old 07-13-2013, 03:37 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by emdreiSMG View Post
Also wondering if one gets Black or Mocha carpet as I cannot stand BMW's carpet in any color other than Black.
I haven't seen it yet in person, but the Mocha interior has black trim, including carpets. You can see the image using the 535d build-your-own at bmwusa.com. The diesel model is the 2014 on that configurator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW_Mocha.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	386478  

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 07-13-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
Anthracite trim will look good with Mocha leather and white exterior. There's brown and black in the anthracite and it will pick up the interior colors well.

Did you order the sport transmission? I don't know if it's bundled with M sport for 2014 but I would order it if only for the sleeker shift lever.

There's a lot on your build I wouldn't order even if I had money to burn. The standard black vinyl dash is very good looking and I don't know how you could improve on it with leather. It wasn't designed for leather unlike the 6 series. Other features I would pass on are B&O audio, luxury seating and LED lighting. For the price of this build I would be taking a hard look at a Gran Coupe. If you want a car that will get noticed, no amount of money spent on this build will make it turn heads like a Gran Coupe.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy View Post
Other features I would pass on are B&O audio, luxury seating and LED lighting. For the price of this build I would be taking a hard look at a Gran Coupe. If you want a car that will get noticed, no amount of money spent on this build will make it turn heads like a Gran Coupe.
The LED headlights look incredible, and seem like a great option that will get used every single day, as well as make your car stand out when it comes to resale value.

But I do second the recommendation of exploring the Gran Coupe option! The interior is really something special and it's a bit "newer" car than the F10, if you enjoy that bit of exclusivity.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:18 PM
2 Bimmers R better than 1

Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
Anything other than that god for saken dark brown bamboo wood that I can't seem to not get in my BMW's
Lol
Good choice! I hate the brown wood so much I had Don Nguyen wrap it in Carbon Fiber
Nice work dude!

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps

Last edited by 5seriesHB; 07-13-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i Titanium Silver
Choices look good to me
Good luck

2013 535i Titanium Silver
2008 528i Deep Sea Blue
Old 07-13-2013, 09:32 PM
Just Confused...

Mein Auto: 01 530i; 04 S2k; 94 Supra
The only thing missing is night vision. We don't know if it will have the dynamic spot lights in the US. The color combinations should work well.

To get the staggered wheels with xDrive you need to specify 2ND, 2NB is standard with xDrive. I believe the xDrive is limited to 130mph (210km/hr). If you are doing Euro delivery you probably want the higher speed limit (option 840) included with 2ND that includes summer performance tires.

You also didn't get the rear sun shade and side rear window shades.

One of the hotels recommended on the forum is a small place near the park where the OktoberFest is held. The parking lot there is very tight.

Finally, the full leather dash is available in the US???? If so, how much is it??? It is 1.050,42 in the German catalog before VAT.

I disagree with the people who say 650ix. It is a solid $15k more, less practical, and, IMHO, not as good looking. The cars it may be closer to are the RS7 and E63 4Matic. However, this 550i will be a very nice ride.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:48 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNJ View Post
The only thing missing is night vision. We don't know if it will have the dynamic spot lights in the US. The color combinations should work well.

To get the staggered wheels with xDrive you need to specify 2ND, 2NB is standard with xDrive. I believe the xDrive is limited to 130mph (210km/hr). If you are doing Euro delivery you probably want the higher speed limit (option 840) included with 2ND that includes summer performance tires.

You also didn't get the rear sun shade and side rear window shades.

One of the hotels recommended on the forum is a small place near the park where the OktoberFest is held. The parking lot there is very tight.

Finally, the full leather dash is available in the US???? If so, how much is it??? It is 1.050,42 in the German catalog before VAT.

I disagree with the people who say 650ix. It is a solid $15k more, less practical, and, IMHO, not as good looking. The cars it may be closer to are the RS7 and E63 4Matic. However, this 550i will be a very nice ride.

You had me there for a moment, but I reread the posts and you are talking about the 650 Gran Coupe and not the 650 Coupe, so we're still good.

When you account for the lack of features in the 5er, there is at most a $10k cost difference for the GC. Looking at the two cars side-by-side, the GC's longer, wider, and lower dimensions definitely make is it look more sporty, albeit with a less functional rear seating area.

To the OP, I had NightVision on my 550, but I didn't order it for the my 650. The central location (NAV screen) made it less functional than it is portrayed in the literature.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 07-14-2013, 03:49 AM
Dark Knight

I really love the relationship between the 6GC and the 5er. Initially I was apprehensive that the 6GC would make the 5er "irrelevant", which couldn't be further from the truth. Both cars are strikingly similar in ways, but have their own total personalities.

I feel that the F10 is the best BMW design today because of its ultimate balance. The fact that it never looks awkward, and you can look at it all day, every day for I'd assume years and years and it'll never get old. It's just a timeless, holistically simple yet subtly complex, pure design. Rhe 6GC on the other hand can have its awkward moments that the F10 doesn't share.... HOWEVER, the 6GC and its Coupe Sister are jaw-dropping designs to me. IMO rhe 6GC might be the nicest car in the world with 4 doors.... yet I think the F10 is maybe (or easily amongst) BMW's best design ever, and the most well-done "F Chassis" design.... kind of complex thoughts.... but somehow they make sense to me.

Last edited by K-A; 07-14-2013 at 03:52 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:11 AM

This feedback has been really helpful and had me triple checking myself in a few different areas:

1. I'm definitely set on the B&O. It's certainly not worth $3700, BUT I'm an audio guy and really can't imagine doing aftermarket in a highly integrated setup like the 5er. I also must admit being somewhat in love with the rising center channel!

2. I took a close hard look at the 650i GC after the comments. I am probably the minority, but I am not a fan of the long slow lines of the coupe. Same reason I think the CLS is the ugliest car MB ever made. That said, I still ran through the the 6 series again. Man, that is one beautiful interior and the available colors/trim options really blow away the 5 series. I still can't get over the long slender lines, so between that and the additional $15-20k I'm sticking with the 550i.

3. Leather is available as a special order item. The code is 4M5 and I don't have invoice pricing yet. I believe MSRP was something like $1400. The plastic dash looks fine, but I'm a huge fan of leather (touch, smell, stitching, etc). I was not thrilled about dropping almost $80k on a vehicle and not having that special touch. The pics I've seen of 4M5 special order on the 5 series look great.

4. Since half our year is fairly cold up here, I was going to get the all weather tires... until my CA pointed out that means limiter of 130 MPH. It'd be nice to take it over 130 at least a couple times during the ED process. I think I will order with performance and buy a second set of AW wheels/tires. I will definitely be going with a ferric gray color for the second set. Dark wheels and alpine white look sick together.

5. Luxury seating is an expensive option, but the only way to get ventilated seats. One should never have sweaty arse in an $80k vehicle.

6. I wasn't initially sold on LED lighting, but after researching and looking closely in person they are definitely an improvement over Xenon. If BMW is able to bring some of the anti glare tech to the US (or can pull it off through coding) I will be WAY ahead with the LED package. This is the future of auto lighting, so thought I'd get a jump on it.

7. I would have gone with night vision if it were cheaper, but I just couldn't justify the price tag.

8. Interior color combo choices are personal, so I didn't think all would agree there. I think the Mocha Nappa is PERFECTLY accented by Anthracite and the subtle brown hues that it has. Much more understated than some of the other wood grain trim options.

9. I honestly have no idea on the M Sport transmission... will check into that further.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:33 AM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiltsy View Post
This feedback has been really helpful and had me triple checking myself in a few different areas:

1. I'm definitely set on the B&O. It's certainly not worth $3700, BUT I'm an audio guy and really can't imagine doing aftermarket in a highly integrated setup like the 5er. I also must admit being somewhat in love with the rising center channel!

2. I took a close hard look at the 650i GC after the comments. I am probably the minority, but I am not a fan of the long slow lines of the coupe. Same reason I think the CLS is the ugliest car MB ever made. That said, I still ran through the the 6 series again. Man, that is one beautiful interior and the available colors/trim options really blow away the 5 series. I still can't get over the long slender lines, so between that and the additional $15-20k I'm sticking with the 550i.

3. Leather is available as a special order item. The code is 4M5 and I don't have invoice pricing yet. I believe MSRP was something like $1400. The plastic dash looks fine, but I'm a huge fan of leather (touch, smell, stitching, etc). I was not thrilled about dropping almost $80k on a vehicle and not having that special touch. The pics I've seen of 4M5 special order on the 5 series look great.

4. Since half our year is fairly cold up here, I was going to get the all weather tires... until my CA pointed out that means limiter of 130 MPH. It'd be nice to take it over 130 at least a couple times during the ED process. I think I will order with performance and buy a second set of AW wheels/tires. I will definitely be going with a ferric gray color for the second set. Dark wheels and alpine white look sick together.

5. Luxury seating is an expensive option, but the only way to get ventilated seats. One should never have sweaty arse in an $80k vehicle.

6. I wasn't initially sold on LED lighting, but after researching and looking closely in person they are definitely an improvement over Xenon. If BMW is able to bring some of the anti glare tech to the US (or can pull it off through coding) I will be WAY ahead with the LED package. This is the future of auto lighting, so thought I'd get a jump on it.

7. I would have gone with night vision if it were cheaper, but I just couldn't justify the price tag.

8. Interior color combo choices are personal, so I didn't think all would agree there. I think the Mocha Nappa is PERFECTLY accented by Anthracite and the subtle brown hues that it has. Much more understated than some of the other wood grain trim options.

9. I honestly have no idea on the M Sport transmission... will check into that further.
Interesting about your take on the 6's lines. I feel the 5er and 6er have basically identical lines, just accentuated differently (which could be what causes your different take on how they "speak" to you), except the 6 has that kind of bulbous lower portion of the doors which sweep upward, which I'm kind of iffy on (and which may very well be part of what you're talking about). I agree about the current CLS. Perhaps the worst, most messy, imbalanced, gimmick-heavy, wayward-lined, nonsensical, desperate yet still somehow IMO "intended for more stereotypically geriatric palates" design M-B has ever made (I really dislike the new CLS). I think they would have been better off just doing a heavy facelift on the previous much more timeless CLS design (which seems almost universally higher regarded on a design front than the new haphazard CLS).

Old 07-14-2013, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 550xi
Quote:

Something must have changed, I just did ED, got the MSport and the $hitty GY Eagle LS2 RFT all seasons, and my speed limited is 155. I know from real world testing
ED Trip Report http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=705892

Previous:
2011 X5 35d
2007 328xi
Old 07-14-2013, 11:44 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSoxFan View Post
Something must have changed, I just did ED, got the MSport and the $hitty GY Eagle LS2 RFT all seasons, and my speed limited is 155. I know from real world testing
Same tires, MSport, ED in 2/13, speed limiter set at 130 on my 650. It didn't stop me from accelerating hard to get the car to overshoot the limiter.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
Quote:
I have found the dealership, negotiated a fair price and made all the decisions on color, trim, etc. Before I place the order this week, I'd love to have feedback from this community on anything I may have missed. Take a look and let me know your thoughts! This is my first bmw and I want to get every detail right.

Euro Delivery
2014 550ix
Alpine White
Mocha Nappa
Anthracite trim
Full leather dash (special order)

Packages and Options:

Msport
Executive
Cold Weather
Driver Assistance Plus (including automatic cruise control)
Luxury Seating
Bang & Olufsen
Dynamic Handling Pkg
LED Lighting
I am not aware of your packages, but be advised that you want a sport automatic and a fat Sport or m sport steering wheel.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Same tires, MSport, ED in 2/13, speed limiter set at 130 on my 650. It didn't stop me from accelerating hard to get the car to overshoot the limiter.
According to the specs on tirerack, they are only V rated tires, which have a max of 149MPH. I know it is splitting hairs, but would BMW knowingly equip a car with tires that are not rated above the max speed of the car?
ED Trip Report http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=705892

Previous:
2011 X5 35d
2007 328xi
Old 07-14-2013, 05:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix sport
I complement you on your choices. That is going to be a great F10. I have two comments/suggestions.

The Four Zone climate control is a necessary option for me. Not only does it offer independent temperature controls in the back seat, but includes two temperature controls for the dash outlets instead of the normal single one. The ability to independently adjust the dash air temperature is a convenience that makes a trip pleasant and comfortable for both front seat passengers when their requirements are different. This was a $500 option in 2011, but was taken off of the list after that. It is available on European cars as well as the M5 in the USA. Others in the USA have obtained four zone on the F10 as a special order after it was removed from the list.

The 19"LS2 tires on my 2011 came with a 155mph speed limiter.

Enjoy the ED.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:00 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSoxFan View Post
According to the specs on tirerack, they are only V rated tires, which have a max of 149MPH. I know it is splitting hairs, but would BMW knowingly equip a car with tires that are not rated above the max speed of the car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by radarguy View Post
The 19"LS2 tires on my 2011 came with a 155mph speed limiter.
In my 2011 my speed limiter was set at 150mph (1 over 149) with GY Eagle LS, but in 2013 it was set at 130 mph. It was published on their website, so I knew ahead of time. DreamCar & I looked hard into changing the limiter via coding to no avail. It was a my slowest ED in years.