Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-09-2013, 07:14 AM
raffles999 raffles999 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 162
Mein Auto: 2007 750I
Dissapointed

I love my 750i although the prospect of having anything serious going wrong with it is scary, that said one area where I think BMW missed the mark is that unlike Lexus and other luxury models BMW failed to appreciate the benefits of having a drivers seat that will retract away from the steering column. I know the column telescopes but it does not allow that ease of exit that you get from a retractable seat. I mean the mechanism is there how much would it have been to put in one more relay?

Let me repeat I love my BMW.
__________________
Raffles999
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 07-09-2013, 08:03 AM
Piers1989 Piers1989 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Newcastle, UK
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 302
Mein Auto: E65 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffles999 View Post
I love my 750i although the prospect of having anything serious going wrong with it is scary, that said one area where I think BMW missed the mark is that unlike Lexus and other luxury models BMW failed to appreciate the benefits of having a drivers seat that will retract away from the steering column. I know the column telescopes but it does not allow that ease of exit that you get from a retractable seat. I mean the mechanism is there how much would it have been to put in one more relay?

Let me repeat I love my BMW.
In my car the steering column does retract when you turn the engine off, the seat stays where you put it but the side supports go to their slackest setting rather than hugging you and the column retracts for an easy exit.

If you're having issues getting out after both of these adjust them maybe you could put your seat a little further back as I cant imagine it would be a very comfortable driving position anyway if your that crammed in!

Thinking about it I would not like the seat to be moving while I was exiting the car as when you put your foot down to get out of the car if the seat is still moving it would be very uncomfortable/unsettling.
__________________

Last edited by Piers1989; 07-09-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-09-2013, 08:31 AM
Thesatman Thesatman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Albuquerque, NM
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 333
Mein Auto: 2008 750LI
Agree with Piers.

"You can't please everybody...and last night all those people were at my show." - Mitch Hedberg
__________________

Sport Package, Rear Entertainment Package, Comfort Access, Cold Weather Package, Smoking Package, L7 High Def Audio
Mods = Powdercoated 149s, Black hood vent and kidneys, LED lighting update, BMW puddle lights (all doors), custom coding by "Triple_O_Coding" (including VIM), updated navi DVD from "PAPER", 90C hybrid thermostat.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-09-2013, 11:39 AM
raffles999 raffles999 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 162
Mein Auto: 2007 750I
Actually when so equipped, the seat moves back rapidly so that by the time the door opens you are already to exit. I am about 5ft 8 and am of portly stature so a little more room would have been appreciated. I kinda feel that the 7 series was aimed at the older group of drivers and just think this is one extra that was overlooked. I will look to see if my seat further back would allow easier escape while permitting comfortable driving. Nothing is perfect in this world not even the 7 series it seems. I wonder if the 2013 models have corrected this?
__________________
Raffles999
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-09-2013, 03:35 PM
Salmantheman Salmantheman is offline
Ms. AWesome ;)
Location: Dubai
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 68
Mein Auto: E66
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffles999 View Post
Actually when so equipped, the seat moves back rapidly so that by the time the door opens you are already to exit. I am about 5ft 8 and am of portly stature so a little more room would have been appreciated. I kinda feel that the 7 series was aimed at the older group of drivers and just think this is one extra that was overlooked. I will look to see if my seat further back would allow easier escape while permitting comfortable driving. Nothing is perfect in this world not even the 7 series it seems. I wonder if the 2013 models have corrected this?
I am 5ft 10. as the steering rolls in and the side comfort relax back its a perfect position for me to get out and to get in. i am 90 kgs light so slightly on the heavy side i presume so i gather there is something to do with your seat adjustment ... (FYI my seat is all the way back and the back support of the sear leans at about 110 degrees from the seat itself) ..yeah i drive like a gansta

hope that helps
__________________
-Hood Cable changed (thank you Keif),
-Idrive issue with Fm Module (thank you PAPER),
-Added Facelift ASK and MMI Dashsoft (Thank you ACE)
-Battery, Alternator, Compressor, Front Fan, Silly repainted, L7 Restored and the list goes on
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-09-2013, 03:56 PM
raffles999 raffles999 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 162
Mein Auto: 2007 750I
I fiddled with my driving position and have improved my exit ability somewhat. I did have the seat squab moved forward and this did restrict movement. By moving the seat back a tad, adjusting the back to a slightly more upright position and by telescoping the wheel all the way out and all the down I am much happier.

I pose the question again did BMW adopt the exit method used by LEXUS and others on their later models?
__________________
Raffles999
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-09-2013, 07:29 PM
DFEL750I's Avatar
DFEL750I DFEL750I is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,859
Mein Auto: 750I
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffles999 View Post
I fiddled with my driving position and have improved my exit ability somewhat. I did have the seat squab moved forward and this did restrict movement. By moving the seat back a tad, adjusting the back to a slightly more upright position and by telescoping the wheel all the way out and all the down I am much happier.

I pose the question again did BMW adopt the exit method used by LEXUS and others on their later models?
You're the only one that has complained about this so far so I don't think it's a feature than anyone including BMW think is "missing" from the car. I'm 6'2 about 240+ and I have no issues getting in and out.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-10-2013, 07:08 AM
raffles999 raffles999 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 162
Mein Auto: 2007 750I
I love my bimmer, I am sorry if I came across as complaining, I think if any of you have driven a Lexus LS or even the recent Toyota Avalon will understand that no matter how convenient and easy you find exiting the 750 you have to agree that exiting either of these other cars is by far superior. That's all I meant, in every other respect I'd rather have the 750 except of course if I want to change a light bulb.....lol
__________________
Raffles999
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-10-2013, 10:47 AM
DFEL750I's Avatar
DFEL750I DFEL750I is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,859
Mein Auto: 750I
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffles999 View Post
I love my bimmer, I am sorry if I came across as complaining, I think if any of you have driven a Lexus LS or even the recent Toyota Avalon will understand that no matter how convenient and easy you find exiting the 750 you have to agree that exiting either of these other cars is by far superior. That's all I meant, in every other respect I'd rather have the 750 except of course if I want to change a light bulb.....lol
I have driven cars with that feature and it doesn't make a difference to me really. It's not a feature I would talk about. Not trying to be offensive but are you overweight or something? There are things I do daily that are much more physically demanding than getting out of a car without the seat retracting.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-10-2013, 01:47 PM
raffles999 raffles999 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 162
Mein Auto: 2007 750I
Yup I'm sadly classified as obese, 210# and trying to shed a few. My comments maybe reflect my being overweight and also my being in my mid 70's makes me less malleable than maybe some of you youngsters. Maybe one day you might understand my comments better. I am not harping on this issue just trying to respond to those who took the time to reply.
__________________
Raffles999
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms