Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 750I
Dissapointed

I love my 750i although the prospect of having anything serious going wrong with it is scary, that said one area where I think BMW missed the mark is that unlike Lexus and other luxury models BMW failed to appreciate the benefits of having a drivers seat that will retract away from the steering column. I know the column telescopes but it does not allow that ease of exit that you get from a retractable seat. I mean the mechanism is there how much would it have been to put in one more relay?

Let me repeat I love my BMW.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:03 AM

Mein Auto: E65 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffles999 View Post
I love my 750i although the prospect of having anything serious going wrong with it is scary, that said one area where I think BMW missed the mark is that unlike Lexus and other luxury models BMW failed to appreciate the benefits of having a drivers seat that will retract away from the steering column. I know the column telescopes but it does not allow that ease of exit that you get from a retractable seat. I mean the mechanism is there how much would it have been to put in one more relay?

Let me repeat I love my BMW.
In my car the steering column does retract when you turn the engine off, the seat stays where you put it but the side supports go to their slackest setting rather than hugging you and the column retracts for an easy exit.

If you're having issues getting out after both of these adjust them maybe you could put your seat a little further back as I cant imagine it would be a very comfortable driving position anyway if your that crammed in!

Thinking about it I would not like the seat to be moving while I was exiting the car as when you put your foot down to get out of the car if the seat is still moving it would be very uncomfortable/unsettling.

Last edited by Piers1989; 07-09-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 750LI
Agree with Piers.

"You can't please everybody...and last night all those people were at my show." - Mitch Hedberg

Sport Package, Rear Entertainment Package, Comfort Access, Cold Weather Package, Smoking Package, L7 High Def Audio
Mods = Powdercoated 149s, Black hood vent and kidneys, LED lighting update, BMW puddle lights (all doors), custom coding by "Triple_O_Coding" (including VIM), updated navi DVD from "PAPER", 90C hybrid thermostat.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:39 AM

Actually when so equipped, the seat moves back rapidly so that by the time the door opens you are already to exit. I am about 5ft 8 and am of portly stature so a little more room would have been appreciated. I kinda feel that the 7 series was aimed at the older group of drivers and just think this is one extra that was overlooked. I will look to see if my seat further back would allow easier escape while permitting comfortable driving. Nothing is perfect in this world not even the 7 series it seems. I wonder if the 2013 models have corrected this?
Old 07-09-2013, 03:35 PM
Ms. AWesome ;)

Mein Auto: E66
Quote:
Actually when so equipped, the seat moves back rapidly so that by the time the door opens you are already to exit. I am about 5ft 8 and am of portly stature so a little more room would have been appreciated. I kinda feel that the 7 series was aimed at the older group of drivers and just think this is one extra that was overlooked. I will look to see if my seat further back would allow easier escape while permitting comfortable driving. Nothing is perfect in this world not even the 7 series it seems. I wonder if the 2013 models have corrected this?
I am 5ft 10. as the steering rolls in and the side comfort relax back its a perfect position for me to get out and to get in. i am 90 kgs light so slightly on the heavy side i presume so i gather there is something to do with your seat adjustment ... (FYI my seat is all the way back and the back support of the sear leans at about 110 degrees from the seat itself) ..yeah i drive like a gansta

hope that helps
-Battery, Alternator, Compressor, Front Fan, Silly repainted, L7 Restored and the list goes on
Old 07-09-2013, 03:56 PM

I fiddled with my driving position and have improved my exit ability somewhat. I did have the seat squab moved forward and this did restrict movement. By moving the seat back a tad, adjusting the back to a slightly more upright position and by telescoping the wheel all the way out and all the down I am much happier.

I pose the question again did BMW adopt the exit method used by LEXUS and others on their later models?
Old 07-09-2013, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: 750I
Quote:
I fiddled with my driving position and have improved my exit ability somewhat. I did have the seat squab moved forward and this did restrict movement. By moving the seat back a tad, adjusting the back to a slightly more upright position and by telescoping the wheel all the way out and all the down I am much happier.

I pose the question again did BMW adopt the exit method used by LEXUS and others on their later models?
You're the only one that has complained about this so far so I don't think it's a feature than anyone including BMW think is "missing" from the car. I'm 6'2 about 240+ and I have no issues getting in and out.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:08 AM

I love my bimmer, I am sorry if I came across as complaining, I think if any of you have driven a Lexus LS or even the recent Toyota Avalon will understand that no matter how convenient and easy you find exiting the 750 you have to agree that exiting either of these other cars is by far superior. That's all I meant, in every other respect I'd rather have the 750 except of course if I want to change a light bulb.....lol
Old 07-10-2013, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto: 750I
Quote:
I love my bimmer, I am sorry if I came across as complaining, I think if any of you have driven a Lexus LS or even the recent Toyota Avalon will understand that no matter how convenient and easy you find exiting the 750 you have to agree that exiting either of these other cars is by far superior. That's all I meant, in every other respect I'd rather have the 750 except of course if I want to change a light bulb.....lol
I have driven cars with that feature and it doesn't make a difference to me really. It's not a feature I would talk about. Not trying to be offensive but are you overweight or something? There are things I do daily that are much more physically demanding than getting out of a car without the seat retracting.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:47 PM

Yup I'm sadly classified as obese, 210# and trying to shed a few. My comments maybe reflect my being overweight and also my being in my mid 70's makes me less malleable than maybe some of you youngsters. Maybe one day you might understand my comments better. I am not harping on this issue just trying to respond to those who took the time to reply.