Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 12-19-2013, 06:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Moto Guzzi
Dumb Question of the Day...........

I need to jump start my father-in-laws car the other evening. I discoverd what all you knew that the battery in not under the hood. I searched here and see it is under the cargo area in trunk which leads me to the question that I couldn't find.

Can "we" change our own battery when needed or due to sensors etc it will need to be done by a dealer and or equivalent?

Advertisement
Old 12-19-2013, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: 135i
You can certainly change it yourself. However, after the change the computer requires a signal to indicate the change was performed so it knows how to properly charge the new battery. This cannot be done without a special tool like the bav tech scan tool. If you don't have that, you'll have to take it to a dealer / indy to have them do it.

Second ED ???
Old 12-19-2013, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponti33609 View Post
I need to jump start my father-in-laws car the other evening. I discoverd what all you knew that the battery in not under the hood. I searched here and see it is under the cargo area in trunk which leads me to the question that I couldn't find.

Can "we" change our own battery when needed or due to sensors etc it will need to be done by a dealer and or equivalent?
That was not a dumb question. I had the same question and even have a question related to that.

A couple of years ago I had the battery in our Lexus SUV fail while on a trip with no dealer anywhere nearby. There was a nearby Sears and had the battery replaced by them. The Lexus computer is apparently not as smart or as caring as the BMW computer so once the battery was replaced the inconvenience was ended.

Now, if I have a similar scenario with my X3, will the car be fully functional if I am not able to get to a dealer to educate the computer with respect to the battery replacement? Will the only consequence be an alarm on the instrument panel but everything else will be functional?
Old 12-19-2013, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponti33609 View Post

There is a + and a - post under the hood for charging the battery, I believe it is on page 184 of the manual.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
There is a + and a - post under the hood for charging the battery, I believe it is on page 184 of the manual.
Yes, found that easy enough to jump start his car.......figured it was elswhere and someone posted a pic here which helped.....

Old 12-19-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
That was not a dumb question. I had the same question and even have a question related to that.

A couple of years ago I had the battery in our Lexus SUV fail while on a trip with no dealer anywhere nearby. There was a nearby Sears and had the battery replaced by them. The Lexus computer is apparently not as smart or as caring as the BMW computer so once the battery was replaced the inconvenience was ended.

Now, if I have a similar scenario with my X3, will the car be fully functional if I am not able to get to a dealer to educate the computer with respect to the battery replacement? Will the only consequence be an alarm on the instrument panel but everything else will be functional?
Yes, what we hope to find out....will the local Sears/Firestone place be able to hookup and reset the computer? Doing a search on their site, they seem to recognize the car and battery so I am hoping they have the ability when time.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:33 AM

I have read about owners who replace their battery at autozone or somewhere like that with no problem. The BMW battery management system is suppose to keep track of the full capacity of the current battery. It will adjust the charging rate/capacity and the low battery management system, ie, shutting off the HVAC when the battery is low. If you put in a new battery and do not reset the computer, the computer will think the battery still has the old lower capacity of the previous battery and probably will not charge it to a 100%. As far as the HVAC system shutting off or low battery warning, that should not be a problem since it is still above that threshold.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i manual
If I remember correctly, I had to replace the battery on my e46 only once, I purchased the replacement from autozone, and it turned out to be much better than the "original" one. I just swapped them and no issues, the dealer wanted some huge amount. But nowadays, the new cars computers probably would not like this. Shouldn't it be possible to provide 12V (or whatever it is) from another power supply while the battery is switched.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
If I recall correctly I think the x3 battery is an AGM battery that accepts charges at a higher rate when the car is decelerating. Let me do a bit of diggin'
Old 12-19-2013, 12:56 PM

You are correct, all BMW use a deep cycle AGM battery.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
here is a post that shows how much the battery costs to replace with coding... DOH!

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...33&postcount=1