Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:05 AM

Mein Auto: bmw x3
engine began making loud fan noises. And after 5 minutes ,it would say engine is ove

I need some assistance with my BMW X5 Base model 2010. My car was working fine yesterday and this morning after starting my car my engine began making loud fan noises. And after 5 minutes ,it would say engine is overheating please slow down. To Drive Moderately, and if this message pops up again to have BMW Service look at it. (

Anyone know what could be the problem? Should I tow this to dealer first? I had purchased the BMW Powertrain Plus warranty and not sure if this covers that? I am not sure if it could be failed water pump? Also, if i call BMW roadsite assistance is there a charge? Thans
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2013, 07:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Quote:
Originally Posted by joannecan View Post
I need some assistance with my BMW X5 Base model 2010. My car was working fine yesterday and this morning after starting my car my engine began making loud fan noises. And after 5 minutes ,it would say engine is overheating please slow down. To Drive Moderately, and if this message pops up again to have BMW Service look at it. (

Anyone know what could be the problem? Should I tow this to dealer first? I had purchased the BMW Powertrain Plus warranty and not sure if this covers that? I am not sure if it could be failed water pump? Also, if i call BMW roadsite assistance is there a charge? Thans

Sounds like your water pump could be an issue, your BMW Powertrain Warranty does cover this, roadside assistance should be no charge
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...rotection.aspx
Old 07-10-2013, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: E70Diesel, E46
Waterpump failure is pretty common on the 3.0 engines on X5. My X5, my brother's & my friend's X5s 3.0 all failed pretty much at about 48kmiles - 60kmiles range on the odometer.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:42 PM
pay it forward

Mein Auto: X5 and Subaru Impreza
engine began making loud fan noises. And after 5 minutes ,it would say engine i

Get a diagnostic code. Then you will know exactly what it is or someone here will know from the code.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
RIP 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
RIP 1986 Honda Accord (involved in three car accident while pahked in the North End)
RIP 2002 Mini Cooper (90th produced)
Old 07-11-2013, 05:31 AM

I came back from dealer they said it was my water pump. I had the extended gold warranty I purchased back last year for 50000 to 100000 miles. Good thing this warranty covered that. I wonder how much it would cost if I did not have this warranty
Old 07-11-2013, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: E70Diesel, E46
Quote:
I came back from dealer they said it was my water pump. I had the extended gold warranty I purchased back last year for 50000 to 100000 miles. Good thing this warranty covered that. I wonder how much it would cost if I did not have this warranty
At the dealership you could have spent over $1k for parts and labor just to replace waterpump.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:

I wonder how much it would cost if I did not have this warranty
You signed a document that listed the cost that was then sent to BMWNA. Every warranty claim requires the owner to say, essentially "I received the repair listed above".

Most dealers hide this from you and/or just toss a pile of papers at you to sign at pick up. Often the signature page is the last page in a pile and they place it on top so you dont paw through it
Old 07-12-2013, 03:07 AM

I never seen this document. The paper they gave me doesn't list a price or anything
Old 07-12-2013, 03:18 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
I never seen this document. The paper they gave me doesn't list a price or anything
In my experience there should be two documents- one that you keep, with no prices. The second they retain, and they just say "sign here saying you are picking up the car". I usually say "I dont sign anything I cannot keep a copy of". Either I get a copy or I dont sign it- Ive had both happen.

Could be your dealer doesnt require this, or deals with BMWNA in some other way?

Either way it's fixed!

A
Old 07-15-2013, 12:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 x5 3.0...2009 328i
Quote:

My x5 acted in much the same way, and it was about a grand to fix. This happened at about 115k miles on the odo. I was ok with the dealer price, since the roadside assistance contractor towed it for free (about 65 miles). I was shocked that roadside assistance and towing was free at that mileage (but could not go to my indy shop)

Last edited by CALLAWAY845; 07-15-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:35 AM

is that first time fixing it?

Is this the first time you had this issue? Did you have any other major issues with the vehicle before this