Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 535i GT
New here from Florida: 535i GT

Hi everyone, just wanted to report in as a new owner of an F07.

2010 535i GT (CPO)
Titanium Silver
Sport package
Dynamic handling
Comfort package
Premium Sound package
Convenience package

Purchased the car on Monday the 7th. I'm absolutely in love.

Little about myself:
-26 y/o
-Computer Engineer
-Road cyclist
-Robotics fan/developer

I have a bit of a history of switching cars a lot, and its mainly due to the fact that I hadn't found one I liked.

List of the cars I've had within the Last Year (yes, 1 year)
-'08 Caliber SRT4 (owned since new)
-'12 Subaru WRX 5 door
-'12 Subaru WRX STi 5 door SPT
-'12 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 5 door

My favorite of the bunch was the SRT. It was a completely different car than the Neon (power train, chassis, etc was different) and 4500 or so were made worldwide. Stage 1 on it was pretty fun, but the warranty was out.
The Subarus were great, but having arthritis meant the stiff suspension did a number on my joints and back.
The Mazda was a joke. The community is full of young idiots thinking they drive god's chariot, and it had no room for my newborn daughter's car seat.

My wife has had an X3 for a gear and a half, and we've loved BMW since then. The service is great and out local dealership is wonderful.

I had a love affair with the 3GT, but fully optioned it was a bit above my price range, and I won't make the mistake of buying new again, since every new car I buy ends up costing me more and more when I trade it.
So, after research and communication with many dealerships in the southeast, I landed this one. I'm definitely in love with everything about the car. From the fact that you don't see them around to the space in the rear, it's all great. I believe I've found a long-term vehicle.

Pics to come soon, as the weather has not been cooperating here lately (and I'm sure this weekend will be no better).

It's great to be on a forum/sub forum where the average age is a bit older. The maturity level of my previous forums was definitely sub-par.

Sorry for the long post! Looking forward to discussing our vehicles and learning!
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2013, 02:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive GT
Welcome Oakley.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:22 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT

I too would like to extend congratulations on your new acquisition and a warm welcome to this forum. Looking forward to your pictures!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-10-2013, 04:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
Is it just me or is there all of a sudden more GTs in Florida? I saw 4 new ones in my town in the past week after not seeing any for 6 months.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:01 PM

Haha, possibly. I see the same one almost every day here in celebration/south Orlando. Other than that, maybe Ill see one once a month or so.
Nice to have such a unique car with a presence. My STi was definitely an eye catcher, but usually with the wrong crowd.

Thanks very much for the welcomes.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
In the little over 2-years I've owned my GT, I think I've only seen a few on the road. It does elicit smiling approvals of those that see it when stopped, though, as opposed to some of the BMW 'purists' that think it's an abomination. Such narrow minds, while it may not meet their needs, it certainly meets mine!
Old 07-10-2013, 08:09 PM

Agreed! A lot of stares, but of the approval type.
Definitely need to get tints this week. Feels like a huge fishbowl
Old 07-10-2013, 08:59 PM

It may be hard to find, but look at the 3M tints. Last year I put their top of the line tint on, and it works great without blocking all that much light and the difference in IR is huge with it on. It is the only one available recommended by the National Cancer Society as a sunscreen and is used on a lot of ambulances and vehicles where people are in them a lot. They have a couple of levels that are even legal on the windshield that work great. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...ineWindowFilm/

Last edited by jadnashuanh; 07-10-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:40 PM

I've experienced the 3M tint. It's quite amazing how it dissipates heat so well.

I must admit though, that my main reason for getting the windows tinted is for privacy. The colder temperatures and leather protection are merely a bonus

Last edited by Oakley5GT; 07-11-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:19 AM

Took the wife to Melbourne beach yesterday and snapped a quick pic in the parking lot. Hopefully the weather provides an opportunity for better shots this week.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
Nice. The diffused light from the cloud cover makes for even lighting. I can't tell you how many photos I see of cars taken in bright sun but from the side that's not lit.

Silver is on my list of possibles. Is your interior the usual black? Also, have you found a good trunk mat to manage the sand that inevitable shows up there?
Old 07-15-2013, 09:48 AM

I bought the WeatherTec trunk liner...it's much less than the BMW fitted liner, but I have not looked at the carpeted pads. Given that there's electronics under the floor of most BMW's, and liquids getting into that area can cause some serious damage and expense, I opted for this one since it has a significant lip all around it and fits quite well. Comes in three colors: black, grey, tan. All it would take is one bottle of milk leaking out all over to ruin your day without one, even if it didn't kill any electronics...the eventual smell would be nasty as it would be a real bear to clean completely.

FWIW, WeatherTec will end up costing you the same, regardless of where you buy it. While some places advertise the price with free shipping and WeatherTec adds it on, when you compare the total price, it's all the same everywhere (at least that I've found). So, to get the quickest service, order it direct. Some of the on-line places that have periodic sales do NOT include WeatherTec in them (it's in the fine print), so don't bother waiting for one, it won't make any difference unless bundling a bunch of other things, then the minimum purchase may include that to achieve a discount on the other things in the order!
Old 07-15-2013, 11:14 AM

Correct, it's Dakota Black.
Thanks, I was just walking up to the car when I snapped the photo. I usually let the iPhone's sensors determine everything for the shot. Hopefully I'll be able to whip out the DSLR this upcoming weekend.

I've seen the horror stories about totaled GTs due to bags of ice or coolers. Will DEFINITELY get a weather tech lipped mat very soon. I had one in my STi and it was great!

Need to get the BMW crossbars soon. I'm a weekend cyclist and haven't been able to get a ride in for 2 weeks now. That's first on the list, then the mat.

Thanks again for the suggestions!
Old 07-15-2013, 11:47 AM

For anyone curious about the WT mat.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...w_bottom_links

amzn prime has it for 147 with free 2 day if you have prime.

Actually, nvmd: doesn't fit. I'll contact the vendor to see if they have any info on it.

Last edited by Oakley5GT; 07-15-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: Nissan Altima
Wow!!! it looks sweet!!!
Old 07-30-2013, 06:27 AM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
Oakley, what is your VLT and on a sunny day how well can you see inside? Also, which manufacturer and line of film did you choose?
Old 07-30-2013, 07:02 AM

VLT is 15% front driver/passenger, 5% rear passenger+rear quarters, and 15% rear window. 5% windshield strip.

On a sunny day, you can see inside the fronts if you're about 5-1 ft away (although you can basically just make out shadows). The rears, you can only see your own reflection unless you have your face right up to the window (the black interior also helps).

Honestly, I've just been going to my friend's tint shop for about 10 years or so. I've done at least 10 cars there and I don't ask questions. I've never had an issue, so I just don't question the brand. I'm almost sure I remember it being llumar, but I can't say for sure. My apologies.
'13 Ford Edge Sport
Old 07-30-2013, 08:15 AM
There is no spoon

Nice, thx 4 the info. I definitely like your look, 15 sounds like what I desire for level of privacy.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:05 AM

I used to be a "5% all around" guy, but its honestly not worth having to watch for police or having to roll my windows down to see in my neighborhood at night.
With 15%, it's dark enough to where I'm not easily seen, but since its lighter up front than in the rear, it doesn't attract any unwanted attention from police.

Anytime
'13 Ford Edge Sport
Old 08-11-2013, 07:42 PM

Added a few mods:
-OEM BMW F07 Crossbars.
-Inno Forklock III bike mount (x2)
-Inno 50" fairing
-Matte black Kidney grilles and lower grill wings
-Matte black side marker surrounds (not sure how I feel about this one, might remove it).
-D.Bag Euro plate w/ Munich Autohaus dealership frame.

'13 Ford Edge Sport
Old 08-12-2013, 03:07 AM
Gib mir Feurschutz!

Mein Auto: 2013 750i

Congrats and welcome!

Good taste, I think silver looks really good on the GT.

I'd start looking into coding it if you haven't already. Once you get a bimmer coded you'll never go back. All those little euro options they disable when it arrives in the states

Chris

2013 BMW 750i - Coded, Executive, Lighting, Cold Weather, M Sport, M 303 Wheels, 5% Tint, Conti DWS Tires, 3M Bra, Vinyl Black Gloss Roof Wrap, Exhaust Flap Mod.

Last edited by ChrisF01; 08-12-2013 at 03:08 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:30 AM

Thank you!

Definitely planning on coding. I haven't really had the time to sit down and go through the coding FAQ to see what components to order. Once I have some time, I'm definitely going to take advantage of the comfort access and convenience packages. All will be "AKTIV"
'13 Ford Edge Sport
Old 08-12-2013, 04:50 AM
There is no spoon

Looking good Oakley! When you put the roof rack on do the little plastic covers remain on the car or is there a trick to pulling them off? I flipped ours open last night and was surprised how easily they did open and even more surprised that they seemed to stay attached to the vehicle when mounting a roof rack. Just purchased a Thule foot pack for the car (arrives Wednesday) so I was curious how that works.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:08 AM

The OEM Crossbars come with a protective mount which doesn't allow them to touch the paint. They hover just over the roofline, so I had to use some foam tape to keep the wind noise down.

If the Thule crossbars you ordered touch the roof, I'd suggest Lamin-X vinyl (there is a coupon code for first time customers if you google it).
http://www.lamin-x.com/Roof-Rack-Pai...ion-p/rr-8.htm

I was going to go for the Thule option, but the OEM BMW bars were only $205 on Amazon and shipping took slightly less than a week.
BMW Roof Rack Base Support System 535 550 GT (2010+)

http://amzn.com/B004801PGG

Let me know if you'd like some close up pics and ill provide them.
'13 Ford Edge Sport

Last edited by Oakley5GT; 08-12-2013 at 05:11 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:41 AM
There is no spoon

Thule, I believe, has the same setup, based on the fact that I had to buy both the foot pack (actual x-bar holder) and a second kit (here I am assuming it's the raised attachment point that connects the foot to the mounting point). I would have gone with BMW OEM but already had the ski and AeroBlades from Thule for our Audi. Frankly the aesthetics of Thule are so nice and the cost wasn't too different.

Can you describe this foam tape and were you able to purchase locally?

Some close ups of the attachment point would be appreciated!

Last edited by daders; 08-12-2013 at 05:47 AM.