Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 07-10-2013, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 09 328 x drive
08 X3 Vibration felt in drivetrain on decel

I have an 08 msport X3 and my wife drives 90% of the time but I drive once in a while I had taken to dealer for the concern a while back but they said I had non approved tire sizes with the 19 inch oem wheels so i then put on proper OEM sizes. The transfer case noise went away after hitting bumps almost 100 % . I then notice when driving on highway per say in traffic and constantly going up 30-40 mph and back down to 0 for miles . Say when I hit 20 mph on decel I get a big vibration felt through drivetrain atleast thats what it feels like. I just changed transfer case oil with BMW power divider oil and no change. I have not changed front or rear differential fluids or transmission yet. I bought car with 38k and now at almost 60 k . I love the car but this is my major complaint . any insight would be good as I have been poking around by searching the topic with all mixed results. Thanks
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2013, 11:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09328x View Post
I have an 08 msport X3 and my wife drives 90% of the time but I drive once in a while I had taken to dealer for the concern a while back but they said I had non approved tire sizes with the 19 inch oem wheels so i then put on proper OEM sizes. The transfer case noise went away after hitting bumps almost 100 % . I then notice when driving on highway per say in traffic and constantly going up 30-40 mph and back down to 0 for miles . Say when I hit 20 mph on decel I get a big vibration felt through drivetrain atleast thats what it feels like. I just changed transfer case oil with BMW power divider oil and no change. I have not changed front or rear differential fluids or transmission yet. I bought car with 38k and now at almost 60 k . I love the car but this is my major complaint . any insight would be good as I have been poking around by searching the topic with all mixed results. Thanks
Mine did exactly what you describe when I was running on the spare on the way to the dealer to get new tires. It was a rolling diameter difference of the spare as it totally went away when I had all the tires replaced. No noise before, noise with the spare on and no noise after the new tires were installed. No problems since. Are they BMW star tires? xDrive is pretty picky about tires.

Last edited by usaret; 07-10-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:43 AM

I hope so I have continental tires . I was told very very picky Xdrive systems . I spent $1000 on tires twice. I just looked on tirerack and see the continental's offer LRR tire option . I cant believe this would be my issue

Last edited by 09328x; 07-10-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:47 AM

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....port%20Package
Old 07-10-2013, 12:14 PM

There is a difference between the diameter and revs per mile of the fronts vs the rears. Only the dealer would know if it's enough to matter. I'm betting the BMW star rated tires are closer than this. I don't like staggered tires (and don't buy cars with them) as they preclude one from rotating so admittedly I don't have a whole lot of knowledge on the subject on AWD cars. I'm sure somebody else with the sport pkg can shed more light on the subject. My bet is that your clutch pack is applying on decel and "groaning" from the difference in rotational speeds of the front and rear drive shafts.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf procontact_en.pdf (203.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 07-10-2013, 03:29 PM

Mein Auto: X3
i have staggered conti, with 275 in the rear and 245 in front, no issues, actually less than with stock tires. i had a lot of humming around 40 mph with EOM tires once they wore a little
Old 07-10-2013, 03:37 PM

I had that setup and the car had multiple issues with vibrations going on which is why I changed tire sizes to OEM
Old 07-11-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
I had that setup and the car had multiple issues with vibrations going on which is why I changed tire sizes to OEM
All that matters is diameter. If I were you I'd jack up one side, measure the diameter of the tires, and see if there is a big difference. If there is then that's your problem. When you consider that mine did it with the spare mounted on the right rear, and the difference between the two rears was being averaged out by the rear differential, the system is pretty picky.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:16 PM

Mein Auto: 328Si
Quote:
09328x, did you resolve the vibration on decel? My 2009 CPO X3 that I bought with 60k miles has recently developed a vibration when I left off the throttle anywhere between 40 to 75 mph. Pitch and amount of vibration changes with speed and disappears below 40 mph.

I will continue to search the forum for areas to check when I inspect the driveline and suspension. Planning to take it it to the BMW dealer as well to see what they say.

Thanks....
Old 11-27-2013, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3
Check the drive shaft too

Although your mileage is low, be sure to check the drive shaft including the U-joints. They are permanently lubricated and it is possible that one went dry. There is also a central carrier bearing that supports two halves of the drive shaft. Failure of any of those components will cause vibrations, especially upon deceleration. Unfortunately those components are covered by the heat shield which has to be removed for driveshaft inspection.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:21 PM

Mein Auto: 328Si
BMW service replaced xfer case

Just an update, BMW replaced my transfer case and decel vibes are gone for now. Will keep this updated if they return.