Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-10-2013, 02:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
2014 LCI 550i Ordered...

Hi guys,

So some of you guys may have read about my software update debacle where during the process bricked my DSC Hydro module and rendered the car inoperable for almost 30 days now with no solid eta on the part from Bmw Germany in sight. First it was end of June, sometime in July and maybe even August according to my SA. Apparently Bmw updated their parts software at the factory and it caused them to shut down for 4 days creating a massive back log of parts which is causing this. Crazy how a simple part is causing all this but it turns out better off for me at the end.

My dealer offered me a trade assist given my situation and I took this opportunity to first upgrade into the new 550 with the N63TU engine with 445hp and also get all the new LCI goodies such as LED headlights which I am a huge fan of.

I struggled for the longest time if i should stick back with the 535xi or go with something that feels more like an actual upgrade like a 550i. Since the options and such changed for 2014 pricing out the same exact car as my current one would end up costing almost 3K more expensive (including the led lights). Going with a rwd 550 built up it came out to within 200 bucks more for much more power while sacrificing awd. Since I live in NYC, have a set of dedicated snow tires and never drive in the snow i figure i'm willing to sacrifice some winter driving traction for more fun. Something I always found my 535xi to be missing even with a tune. Lucky for me I don't drive my car to work either so in a rare occurrence NYC gets hit with a bad snow storm i can just keep the car at home.

Another struggle I had was which color to go with. I must say that the interior color options for the Msport is worse than ever. I currently have Black Nappa but thats not being offered anymore. There is only black dakota leather which is a huge downgrade once you've experienced Nappa. Tan or Mocha brown doesn't appeal to me but Ivory looks amazing. From pictures its what Oyster should have been imo. I liked oyster in pictures but in person didn't like how it was a little yellowish off white. Ivory on the other hand looks more like white so i went with it. That being said I even considered Alpine white exterior just to change it up but white on white just seems strange to me and I couldn't get myself to do it. Granted you never really see the interior and exterior of the car at the same time it still bothered me enough to not get this combo. So what did I get?

Space Gray again...

Here are the specs of my order below.

2014 LCI 550i
Space Gray Metallic
Ivory White Nappa w/ Black Dashboard
M Sport
Anthracite Wood Trim
Executive Package
Lighting Package
Heated Front Seats

Another big reason why i went with the RWD model this time (thanks to KA ) is because I wanted the Msport suspension. None of the documentations that i've seen for the 2014 actually lists the Msport coming with different suspension but judging by how the 2013's were I'd have to guess this is still the case. When you select the Xi model it removes this and that makes you have to get the full DHP with ARS and DDC for a hefty price of $3500. Based on KA and everyone else review of the standard Msport suspension is what you want for the traditional Bmw feel. When I had DDC on my 535xi I only drove it in Sport anyway so i prefer the stiffer handling and don't need all the comfort soft settings. I found it too bouncy in anything besides Sport. Hopefully I didn't make a mistake here but I will find out when the car arrives.

Lucky for me I am able to transfer most of my cosmetic modifications over to the 550 so it will looks pretty much the same as my current car but only slightly better with the updated LCI LED lights and with much much more power!

Going to be a long wait now....

Alan

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Ads by Google
Old 07-10-2013, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535xi / 2012 X5 35i
2014 LCI 550i Ordered...

Congrats on your new ride.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Retired: '11 F10 535xi | ED 11/26/2010
Retired: '07 E90 328xi
Old 07-10-2013, 03:55 PM
BMW aficionado

Mein Auto: 535i
2014 LCI 550i Ordered...

Congratulation on the LCI F10. Let us know how the N55 to N63 transformation feels.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i M-Sport
I think you will be happy with the m sport suspension. Especially if you plan on keeping the car a while. Great choice I can't wait to see it!
2013 550i M Sport|300|LCSW|4MR|2TB|704|760|PDC|ZEC|6F2|ZDA|5AD |416|494|Dinan Stage 2|CF Spoiler,MirrorCaps&Splitter|M Performance Diffuser| Front Reflector Delete|Black Grilles|Rear Font Lights|Euro Side Mirrors|M5 Front & M550D Rear Sway Bars|20" HB04|Coded|CCA member
Old 07-10-2013, 04:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
2014 LCI 550i Ordered...

Way to turn a bad situation into something amazing! Congrats, and sorry for the pain you went through to get to this point.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:08 PM

Mein Auto: 535xi Msport Alpine
2014 LCI 550i Ordered...

Congrats... Guess doing the software upgrade was a blessing in disguise..

Pickup on 4/27/2013: "13" 535xi M Sport, Alpine, Beige, Dark Wood Trim, Cold Weather, Technology, Dynamic Handling, Driver Assistant Pkg, Paddle Shifters and Ceramic Controls.

Pickup 2/16/2014, 2014 Nissan Pathfinder SL Premium, Cayenne Red exterior/Black interior

Steve
https://www.facebook.com/groups/socal535f10crew/
Old 07-10-2013, 04:56 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Congrats! I also considered white on white, but thought it look a bit too old for me.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 07-10-2013, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
2014 LCI 550i Ordered...

Congrats but I think you made a mistake getting RWD. You like to drive hard and you can't put the power to the ground with RWD with an N63tu.

BMW claims all F10 suspensions have been recalibrated.

Also, why don't u drive a 2013 550i msport to see if it's what u want. Member Yahtzee might be able to help you with that . Member in Massachusetts just got one too.

Last edited by Kar Don; 07-10-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:20 PM

Thanks guys.

Kar Don - you maybe right about being able to put the power down but adding xdrive on the 550 would have also required me to also get the DHP since it deletes out the msport suspension and who knows what BMW gives the standard xdrive cars. Those two combos would have increased the price by 7-8K on top of the difference I already had to pay since the new car had more options. I had a budget in mind and didn't want to piss the wife off as well lol

Frankly I sometimes miss laying alittle rubber on the pavement too

Alan

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||

Last edited by Alan L.; 07-10-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:27 PM

Mein Auto: 550i 6MT, 2013
Congrats Alan!!!
I just got a 550i MSport with DHP. I have some lousy roads around here and the comfort plus is just great. I also, despite many warnings and opinions, went with the Continental DWS all seasons non- rft so I won't bust up a bunch of rims. The only issue I am having is the right pull (January 2013 build) which is 98% better with advanced steering software update and an alignment. They are doing more as well but this is off topic.
I am jealous of your color combo since mine is black/black, I had no choice since I was firm on a 6MT. I have no regrets getting RWD. I use a pickup for the really bad stuff.
What rims do you have on that beautiful picture?
GJSnow.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:10 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Man that is awesome! Happy to hear that for a multitude of reasons (and a bit jealous )!

The way you describe your needs, I have a feeling you'll be VERY happy with the RWD M Sport suspension on your car. The only issue is putting all that power down on the ground but if you're someone like me who doesn't require ultimate hooking off of straight line sprints, getting the rear loose every now and then is one of the funnest parts of a torquey RWD car.

The 550i with its different weight distribution and extra weight I'm sure will have its own characteristics with M Sport suspension but I think you'll find it a big upgrade in *suspension feel* over the Active one in your XI. I'm interested to hear your impressions since on one hand the 535i's are inherently better handling cars, but on the other your 550i now has the M Sport suspension VS your 535i's XI Active suspension to compensate for that (as well being that your N55 car was an XI and your 550 is a RWD the weight differences might not be as drastic as a RWD/RWD or AWD/AWD swap), and on the other other hand it's an LCI with apparently better suspension characteristics overall. Also you'll get a lower stance (which you may modify anyway so might be moot, lol).

Sounds like you ordered a sublime car! Can't wait to hear your impressions on it.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:32 PM

Yes i'm pretty excited about the new car and the wait is going to kill me (again!).

There will be a lot of changes going from my current car to the LCI 550i

Hydraulic steering vs. EPS
Xdrive vs RWD
N55 vs N63TU
Old vs New LCI handling
Active DDC suspension vs Msport fixed suspension

I will surely post my impressions when I get the car. I am hoping that the msport suspension is already low enough so that I don't have to get springs to match my 20" wheels. On stock 351's the stock ride height looks great but once you put 20s on it looks lifted on my Xi.

Alan

Old 07-10-2013, 07:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Congrats to the upgrade Alan and I'm looking forward to your review of the 2014!
Old 07-11-2013, 02:18 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L. View Post
Yes i'm pretty excited about the new car and the wait is going to kill me (again!).

There will be a lot of changes going from my current car to the LCI 550i

Hydraulic steering vs. EPS
Xdrive vs RWD
N55 vs N63TU
Old vs New LCI handling
Active DDC suspension vs Msport fixed suspension

I will surely post my impressions when I get the car. I am hoping that the msport suspension is already low enough so that I don't have to get springs to match my 20" wheels. On stock 351's the stock ride height looks great but once you put 20s on it looks lifted on my Xi.

Alan
True that, that's a lot of variables between the two models! I think an LCI 550i with the M Sport suspension and whatever else they're supposed to slightly improve/refine sounds sublime!

I really think you're gonna love the M Sport suspension. Getting the impression of how you like your Bimmers to feel, I remember when it finally resonated to me that you had an XDrive therefore didn't have the mechanical suspension I felt like your tastes and wants were being shortchanged.

I always felt M Sport F10's sat up high and then when I first saw my 2013 I thought it was lowered or something. I quickly learned that indeed it was via a whole different suspension. I'm sure you'll consider it low enough but yeah sometimes all bets are off when larger wheels are put on.

Every time I drive my 5 I'm truly astonished at how logic-defyingly dynamic the ride is, especially for a fixed suspension.

When driving smooth and straight the car just coasts over things as if you're driving an S Class, 7 Series, etc, however you appropriately feel the road when it may be beneficial to. Yesterday I was doing just that (smooth coasting) until I got into a windy road section (took the longer way on purpose to do that ) and it's as if it knows that you want to get more aggressive. When you start really testing the cars limits you initially assume that based on how it drives on straight roads you're gonna feel terrible body-roll (my E Class rode smooth over smooth and straight roads but when you hit the turns the whole thing swayed like the chassis wanted to leave the wheels), however when I take a turn in a way where I'm telling the car that I'm not going to hold back I literally feel the car flatten itself out (like an Active suspension tells you it would) right around the time (early/mid turn) you'd feel less dynamic cars start body-rolling significantly.

I think you're gonna find you made the right decision. I'm very curious to know how the M Sport suspension will mate to a 550i car with whatever LCI changes come with it.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Last edited by K-A; 07-11-2013 at 02:25 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:36 AM
BMW Freak

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Hi Alan,

Is good to know that you were able to make lemonade out of your situation. At least you will be able to transfer all of your upgrades into your new car including the sway bars, which should improve the handling.

2011 535i (07/2011 build) Imperial Blue, Oyster/Black Interior, Anthracite Wood Trim, ZSP, ZPP, ZP2, ZCV, 2TB, 6NF, 6NR.

Retired: 2009 328i,Titanium Silver, Black Interior, Dark Wood Trim, ZPP, ZLP, 609, 494, AAW Tune.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:23 AM
just like that, he's gone

Mein Auto: 2013 535
I can't believe they murdered your car with a software upgrade! However, you will greatly enjoy the grunt of the 550 even if it has the electronic steering (which feels sort of fake, tbh) not sure if you've sampled it yet.

Are you able to remove any of your mods (besides the wheels) from the existing car? EDIT: oh I see you are.......but the 550 takes different ACS springs...so can you pull those off and sell them?

I'm thinking once BMW figures out what happened and finally get the parts to bring it back from the dead some crafty buyer will jump right on it.
2001 E46 330Ci Sport, Steel Grey, 5-speed MT....and more

Last edited by Keyser Soze; 07-11-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:39 AM

Most of my parts will transfer over to the new car except the springs which sucks. I am not even going to remove them since the cost of doing that will negate what I could sell them for. Whoever ends up with my 535xi will have a nice free upgrade Already sourcing where i can get ACS springs for the 550 and boy has the price increased a lot in the last couple of months. I paid 480 shipped for mine and now they are gong for 650 for just springs. Can't skp on this area of the car though so if i do get springs it will be ACS again.

I am wondering if its worth doing the M5 FSB on the new car. I will have to check what if anything changed on the LCI since improving the handling was suppose to be Bmw's focus on this car.

Alan

Last edited by Alan L.; 07-11-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:13 PM

The M-sports suspension's party trick is the shorter stiffer springs so I don't think you should need aftermarket unless you want to go full out with high-end coilovers. But taken the superb balance of the cosmetics of your 535 maybe you are after the "perfect wheel gaps" and it looks like the M-sport sits slightly higher than your car.

Last edited by solstice; 07-11-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5, 2013 550 xi
2014 LCI 550i Ordered...

Congrats for the new ride. I'm pretty sure you will enjoy it. Love to see your review and see if there is any change is suspension from 13 to 14.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
The M-sports suspension's party trick is the shorter stiffer springs so I don't think you should need aftermarket unless you want to go full out with high-end coilovers. But taken the superb balance of the cosmetics of your 535 maybe you are after the "perfect wheel gaps" and it looks like the M-sport sits slightly higher than your car.
Yea I was going to say most of the difference in the M-sport mechanical suspension is probably the springs.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:08 PM
just like that, he's gone

Mein Auto: 2013 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L. View Post
Most of my parts will transfer over to the new car except the springs which sucks. I am not even going to remove them since the cost of doing that will negate what I could sell them for. Whoever ends up with my 535xi will have a nice free upgrade Already sourcing where i can get ACS springs for the 550 and boy has the price increased a lot in the last couple of months. I paid 480 shipped for mine and now they are gong for 650 for just springs. Can't skp on this area of the car though so if i do get springs it will be ACS again.

I am wondering if its worth doing the M5 FSB on the new car. I will have to check what if anything changed on the LCI since improving the handling was suppose to be Bmw's focus on this car.

Alan
Have you checked Schmiedman? They never list them and always show as out of stock but if you push in the spring set part nbr....they pop up and you can drop in an order. I ordered my 535 springs from them (still not on yet). I'd only suggest they pack the springs better. Not much savings but they'll come right to you at least.

http://www.schmiedmann.com/en/produc...uct=3130210910

$580 + $30 shipping and probably another $25 VAT bill that shows up later from DHL.
2001 E46 330Ci Sport, Steel Grey, 5-speed MT....and more

Last edited by Keyser Soze; 07-11-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:15 PM

2014 LCI 550i Ordered...

Out of curiosity did you think of ordering the new M3 in place of 550.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittX52011 View Post
Out of curiosity did you think of ordering the new M3 in place of 550.

One year in a rental is a loooong time...
Old 07-11-2013, 03:48 PM

2014 LCI 550i Ordered...

I thought it was coming this fall.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i M-Sport
I thought about it but ... The m3 has amber angle eye lights, no HUD, the stereo isn't as good. I was willing to wait for the 2015 m4
2013 550i M Sport|300|LCSW|4MR|2TB|704|760|PDC|ZEC|6F2|ZDA|5AD |416|494|Dinan Stage 2|CF Spoiler,MirrorCaps&Splitter|M Performance Diffuser| Front Reflector Delete|Black Grilles|Rear Font Lights|Euro Side Mirrors|M5 Front & M550D Rear Sway Bars|20" HB04|Coded|CCA member