Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to lpcapital Send a message via MSN to lpcapital Send a message via Yahoo to lpcapital Send a message via Skype™ to lpcapital
Mein Auto: Wasp & Duc
DIY: Cabin filters replacement

The X5 has 2 cabin filters: one (is actually made of two filter elements) filters the outside air, while the other filters the inside air.

The first one is under the passenger side winshield trim cover while the second under the passenger side footwell trim cover. In this guide we'll replace both.

OUTSIDE CABIN FILTER

Parts

BMW p/n: 64-11-9-248-294
Mann: CU 2941-2 or CUK 2941-2
Mahle: LA 221/S or LAK 221/S

Note: the suffix "K" in the Mann and Mahle filter indicates it is the active charcoal.

Tools

A 13mm socket with an extension of some sort.

Passenger side winshield trim cover

R&R Procedure

Using the 13mm socket, undo the 4 plastic locknut on the windshield trim cover by turning each 90 degrees clockwise

Remove the cover by first lifting the part towards the center of the windshield and the sliding it out of the hood lift shock and the water drain passage

Using the 13mm socket, undo the 3 plastic locknut on the cabin filter housing by turning each 90 degrees clockwise

Unplug the electrical connect to the smell sensor by pushing on the clip while pulling the connector

Remove the cabin filter housing

Remove the old filter elements by pushing the 4 clips

Reassembly is revers, but here's a couple of notes:
1) Ensure the filter elements are oriented properly: they have an arrow indicating the direction of the airflow. As you mount them in the housing the arrow points towards the inside of the housing. You can't put them in the wrong way because the clips won't allow you
2) Ensure all 4 clips on each filter elements have set
3) Don't forget to plug back in the electrical connector for the smell sensor
4) When you put back the windshield trim cover ensure that the water drain is correctly placed into the fender: you first insert the water drain passage and the hood lift shock than lower it

INSIDE CABIN FILTER

Parts

BMW p/n: 64-31-9-194-098

Tools

A Phillips screwdriver and a T20 Torx socket with extension of some sort.

Passenger footwell cover trim cover (lay a towel or something so you don't get your carpet dirty)

R&R Procedure

Using the Phillips screwdriver undo the 3 screw securing the footwell cover to the dash

Lower the front of the footwell cover

Unplug the connector on the footwell light and undo the smaller opening cover to be able to remove and set aside the footwell cover

Using the T20 Torx undo the two screws securing the air duct [I apologize for the poor quality pictures, I'll take new ones next time]

Gently pull down the duct to undo it from the clips that connect it to the main plenum

Gently pull on the rear small duct to disconnet it from the main plenum

Gently push the lower support of the filter toward the right (door side) to unclip it, then pull it straight down to remove it

Pull on the filter element to remove it form the housing

Compare the old filter to the new one (no, the old one is not carbon activated; yes, that is black from dirt)!!!!!

Reassemble is reverse

ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750

Last edited by lpcapital; 07-11-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2013, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Nice write up, thanks for posting. Always wondered where the "smell sensor" was...

Retired 2011 335d AW, M Sport, Premium and Convenience pkg, Heated Seats, Nav, HK, iPod/USB, smart phone. ED 8/31/10

Retired 2008 335i Coupe 6-speed Manual, Montego Blue, Sport, Premium, CW, Nav, PDC, AS, Shade, HD, Sat, Ipod/USB, Logic 7, CA
PCD 11/07

Retired 2004 545i Sapphire Black/Black 6-speed Manual, Sport.

Last edited by BMW Power; 07-11-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: E83 X3 and E70 X5
thank you lpcapital/ZetaTre
Old 07-11-2013, 12:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to lpcapital Send a message via MSN to lpcapital Send a message via Yahoo to lpcapital Send a message via Skype™ to lpcapital
Y'all welcome. You saved me big by documenting real good the whole thing about EGR/SCR recalls and stuff so this is the least I could do.

On a side note, where to source the filters?

The price of the OEM labeled filter is close to insane: the list price is $120.00!!!!! In my case I bought Mann filter from Amazon: I opted for the carbon activated filter since the difference in price in negligible. The cost on Amazon is $34.

As far as the recirculating air filter, I couldn't find an aftermarket from either Mann or Mahle (both are the preferred supplier to BMW for their filter elements). However the list price is $32 and you can find them around for lower than that.

ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750
Old 11-07-2013, 02:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5
Thanks this is just what Ive been search for. Saved me money Im sure. Again thanks.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:49 AM

Mein Auto: '13 Diesel X5 & MBZ R350
Very nice writeup w/ photos!

When do the filters need to be changed out ?

Will BMW maintenance plan cover it ?
Old 04-20-2014, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
Cabin air filter sellers in GTA

Please advise, if you know of any cabin air filter sellers in the GTA. Thanks!
Old 04-22-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yching View Post
Please advise, if you know of any cabin air filter sellers in the GTA. Thanks!
You need to do up-up-left-down while you hold triangle+square. It should appear right in front of you

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750

Last edited by lpcapital; 04-22-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: X5 M 3.0i
Nice write up!

Chris
Old 04-23-2014, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpcapital View Post
You need to do up-up-left-down while you hold triangle+square. It should appear right in front of you

Ha ha ha!
Old 04-26-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Y'all welcome. You saved me big by documenting real good the whole thing about EGR/SCR recalls and stuff so this is the least I could do.

On a side note, where to source the filters?

The price of the OEM labeled filter is close to insane: the list price is $120.00!!!!! In my case I bought Mann filter from Amazon: I opted for the carbon activated filter since the difference in price in negligible. The cost on Amazon is $34.

As far as the recirculating air filter, I couldn't find an aftermarket from either Mann or Mahle (both are the preferred supplier to BMW for their filter elements). However the list price is $32 and you can find them around for lower than that.
I'd get mine here:

Rock Auto

Harry
Old 04-28-2014, 12:38 PM

For those in the GTA, please advise on where we can pick up the filter for recirculated air (BMW p/n: 64-31-9-194-098).

For lpcapital and others, could you please provide the measurements of the recirculated air filter? I am thinking of creating one, since we are unable to pick one up in Canada.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedW View Post
The aqusition fee is the finance companies charge for "setting up the lease". That's it plain and simple.

Ted
What the heck the is GTA? I'm an idiot and all the GTA I know is Grand Theft Audio where you beat prostitutes to get your money back after a service...

How can you not find it in Canada? Don't you have BMW dealerships? Or eBay?

ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750

Last edited by lpcapital; 04-28-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
What the heck the is GTA? I'm an idiot and all the GTA I know is Grand Theft Audio where you beat prostitutes to get your money back after a service...

How can you not find it in Canada? Don't you have BMW dealerships? Or eBay?

Click the link in post 11, they ship to Canada and have some great pricing on their parts.

Harry
Old 04-29-2014, 04:01 AM

lpcapital, I almost fell off my chair! Good one! In my case, GTA stands for Greater Toronto Area, and I am from Canada. Unfortunately, most of our good stuff still come from the US, and shipping is exorbitant, as getting the stuff into Canada requires international postage.

Can we buy replacement stuff from the BMW Dealership directly, such as the internal cabin filter?
Old 04-29-2014, 05:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5, 2012 MINI ALL4
Great info for all DIY gang.

How often do we have to replace filters?
Old 04-29-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yching View Post
Can we buy replacement stuff from the BMW Dealership directly, such as the internal cabin filter?
Yessir you can... But also check Amazon, that's where I buy mine. I recently checked and they also have the internal cabin filter, at least here in the US. In the DIY I list the official BMW par number as well some replacements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icuc View Post
How often do we have to replace filters?
I use the service checkup (I can't remember the exact name but is basically the icon of the car on the lift) to change air filter, fuel filter, and inspect cabin filter and replacing based on how dirty it looks...

ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750
Old 04-30-2014, 04:31 AM

Excellent write up! I replaced the cabin air filters using the steps outlined on this thread; everything went smoothly, except when I was taking off the "smell" sensor. The picture shows it well, but I want to emphasize that you need to push on the back-side of the clip - the part towards the wires; that's how you'll be able to take off the sensor. Visually inspect the clip prior to attempting to remove it, so you won't accidentally damage the clip.

Thanks for the DIY Guide!
Old 04-30-2014, 04:46 AM

I guess its reputation preceded itself; hence, the apprehension to go to a BMW Dealership. Anyway, I called them up yesterday, and I was shocked to learn that a 9.46L DEF product cost significantly less there than a local store!

The recirculated air filter, which seems to be available in Canada from a BMW Dealership only, is a bit pricey, but no other supplier available here.

FYI - Some Amazon.com sellers are willing to ship to Canada, but the fee is quite stiff. eBay.com is no different.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:47 AM

Off-topic, but lpcapital, I see that your engine partition/dividers are cracked as well. I just replaced all three pieces of mine at $140 and it pisses me off that the plastic is so ****ty. The replacement pieces look a little different but the seam where it breaks is still purposely made thin so that it will break again in a couple of years. The remainder of the plastics are pretty thick and I don't ever see them breaking but right at the seam it's almost paper thin so of course it's going to break there once it dries out. Pisses me off that it's blatantly made to break.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpoitras View Post
Off-topic, but lpcapital, I see that your engine partition/dividers are cracked as well. I just replaced all three pieces of mine at $140 and it pisses me off that the plastic is so ****ty. The replacement pieces look a little different but the seam where it breaks is still purposely made thin so that it will break again in a couple of years. The remainder of the plastics are pretty thick and I don't ever see them breaking but right at the seam it's almost paper thin so of course it's going to break there once it dries out. Pisses me off that it's blatantly made to break.
Yes, we just had a discussion on that topic: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=757557

The summary is that there are long term effect of water dripping through a cracked partition: corroded injectors for the OP and an initial corrosion of a high pressure fuel line on mine.

The partition is made of three pieces: the two sides haven't changed while the center is made of plastic. Maybe it provides some more structure and support. We'll see if it brakes again: remember parts come with (iirc) 2 year unlimited miles warranty. Who knows that a bulletin gets issued that entitles for a refund. Basically I'll check back with my dealer's parts department in 2 years...

ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750
Old 05-01-2014, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Yes, we just had a discussion on that topic: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=757557

The summary is that there are long term effect of water dripping through a cracked partition: corroded injectors for the OP and an initial corrosion of a high pressure fuel line on mine.

The partition is made of three pieces: the two sides haven't changed while the center is made of plastic. Maybe it provides some more structure and support. We'll see if it brakes again: remember parts come with (iirc) 2 year unlimited miles warranty. Who knows that a bulletin gets issued that entitles for a refund. Basically I'll check back with my dealer's parts department in 2 years...

Good info to know. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2014, 07:21 PM
Among the Proud

Mein Auto: X5 3.0si
Quote:
I use the service checkup (I can't remember the exact name but is basically the icon of the car on the lift) to change air filter, fuel filter, and inspect cabin filter and replacing based on how dirty it looks...
I was reminded of the cabin filter from something unrelated and I realized I haven't touched mine in the X5 since ownership in '08. Never had the light come on for it and I'm at 39k miles now. I vaguely recall air filters were supposed to be changed yearly and now I'm on year 5. Did I simply neglect something that I should know I have to change or am I supposed to wait for the light?

While we're on topic, I have the online owner's manual that doesn't have this information - is there an online service/maintenance manual PDF for the E70 as far as interim/mileage? Or is everything really CBS (idrive) only? Even a guideline would help.

-> more pics at Flickr <-

Last edited by rh71; 06-10-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: X5 Diesel xDrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
. . . While we're on topic, I have the online owner's manual that doesn't have this information - is there an online service/maintenance manual PDF for the E70 as far as interim/mileage? Or is everything really CBS (idrive) only? Even a guideline would help.
Google - "Old School BMW Maintenance Schedule" . . . written by Mike Miller. I think this will give you a general idea . . . adjust that to suit your specific case.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:39 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Question Are the air filter changes covered by the warranty?

Are the air filter changes covered by the warranty?